JSF v EuroFighter in AA combat

Marc Aurel

I always wonder why guys cannot stop talking about things they just cannot know anyway....Hell, yeah, no information written in any magazine or whatever source accessible to public will give u enough information for judging those fighters true capabilities. It all contains too much propaganda and selling interests. What´s looking good on paper can be crap in wartime. Experience shows it to us.

oldsoak

DarthAmerica said:
This is an invalid arguement for several reasons. Primarily due to a misinterpretation of stealth principles. The difference between the F-22 and F-35 in terms of detection range for the CAPTOR is negligible in an operational sense. Second, the methods by which the F-35 is achieving its reduced RCS are more robust and more evolved than the way the F-22 does it. Also the F-35 is stealthy in the IR spectrum as well and itself has a passive detection suite that is superior to the IRST of the Typhoon. The AGP-81 is an LPI AESA set that could stealthily detect the Typhoon in active and passive modes. So the F-35 will be able to be stealthy while actively seeking out a non stealthy target. Their is no comparison. Like I said, look at the way this panned out for Iraqi IAD vs the F-117/TLAM.

And yes, stealth does help you find the enemy.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on a this. I'm quite sure we wont have long to wait before the RAF comparison between the strength and weaknesses of the two systems comes to light. Especially A2A.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthAmerica

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Marc Aurel said:
I always wonder why guys cannot stop talking about things they just cannot know anyway....Hell, yeah, no information written in any magazine or whatever source accessible to public will give u enough information for judging those fighters true capabilities. It all contains too much propaganda and selling interests. What´s looking good on paper can be crap in wartime. Experience shows it to us.
Thats not true because we are not discussing specific performance data. It is possible to make rough estimates based on public data which in this case is sufficient to make a decisive case for the F-35. For example. Enough was known about the F-117 and B-2 in public domain that their performance in Operation Allied Force was correctly predicted in advance.

Bottom line in this comparison is that the F-35 and Typhoon are not an equal or even near equal comparison in air to air combat against each other. Historical data, objective analysis and mathematical data prove this.

DarthAmerica

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
oldsoak said:
DarthAmerica said:
This is an invalid arguement for several reasons. Primarily due to a misinterpretation of stealth principles. The difference between the F-22 and F-35 in terms of detection range for the CAPTOR is negligible in an operational sense. Second, the methods by which the F-35 is achieving its reduced RCS are more robust and more evolved than the way the F-22 does it. Also the F-35 is stealthy in the IR spectrum as well and itself has a passive detection suite that is superior to the IRST of the Typhoon. The AGP-81 is an LPI AESA set that could stealthily detect the Typhoon in active and passive modes. So the F-35 will be able to be stealthy while actively seeking out a non stealthy target. Their is no comparison. Like I said, look at the way this panned out for Iraqi IAD vs the F-117/TLAM.

And yes, stealth does help you find the enemy.[/QUOT]

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on a this. I'm quite sure we wont have long to wait before the RAF comparison between the strength and weaknesses of the two systems comes to light. Especially A2A.

Sure you could disagree. But if you would like to know the details within the margin of error I think an objective reader would be convinced.