Indian Navy (IN) News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rish

The 64000 ton figure is pure speculation. The Indian navy has not said anything about the size of any third carrier, AFAIK. If you read this article - http://www.indiandefenceforum.com/index.php?topic=12514.0 you will see that Admiral Mehta says nothing about either the size or delivery date (2017 is optimistic even for a carrier of the same design, BTW, let alone a much larger ship, necessarily of a new design), only saying that India will order another carrier.

Sengupta has a poor reputation. In this particular case, note this - "the US offer, made late last year, to lease to India for a 10-year period the conventionally-fuelled aircraft carrier, the 81,780-ton USS Kitty Hawk". There is no evidence for this claim. The US Secretary of Defence thought a reporter was joking when he was asked about it, in February this year. The story didn't even get an official denial for some time, because it was considered too silly, too obviously false, to be worth denying. The story began as a journalist speculating about the possibility of such a deal, & mutated on the internet into a story that the USA had made an offer. And yet Sengupta presents it as fact!
hm I didn't realize that forceindia employed low quality reporters in its staff. I'll think twice before taking his articles seriously. Thanks for clearing this up swerve

Rish

India may buy harpoons from the US.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/sep/10missile.htm

US to sell Harpoon missiles worth $ 170 million to India

The Department of Defence has said that the proposed sale of this equipment and support will not affect the basic military balance in the region.

The prime contractor will be The Boeing Company of St Louis, Missouri and there are no known offset agreements proposed in connection with this potential sale.

"Implementation of this proposed sale will not require the assignment of any additional US Government or contractor representatives to India permanently.

"There may be US Government or contractor personnel in the country on a temporary basis in conjunction with program technical and management oversight and support requirements," the Pentagon has said.

There will not be any adverse impact on US defence readiness as a result of this proposed sale, the Pentagon added.

JEEHA

Banned Member
is the harpoon better than the current missles that IN have(LIKE THE BRAHMOS).....or is it the aftermath of the indo us nuclear deal????does it comes with ful ToT?

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
is the harpoon better than the current missles that IN have(LIKE THE BRAHMOS).....or is it the aftermath of the indo us nuclear deal????does it comes with ful ToT?
The Harpoon II India requested is the air-launched version and not surface launched.

The real question should be why the Harpoon when an air launched Brahmos is under development?

The Harpoon II could be the replacement for the Sea Eagle. The Harpoon II could be integrated for use by the Jaguars, Mig-29K or even Su-30MKI (the latter I doubt).

But what strikes me about the Harpoon request is that it dovetails perfectly for the P-8 MMA. If the Harpoon II deal goes through, it could very well be the prelude to a bigger deal, . . the P-8I.

kams

The Harpoon II India requested is the air-launched version and not surface launched.

The real question should be why the Harpoon when an air launched Brahmos is under development?

The Harpoon II could be the replacement for the Sea Eagle. The Harpoon II could be integrated for use by the Jaguars, Mig-29K or even Su-30MKI (the latter I doubt).

But what strikes me about the Harpoon request is that it dovetails perfectly for the P-8 MMA. If the Harpoon II deal goes through, it could very well be the prelude to a bigger deal, . . the P-8I.
You are right, Harpoon II are being bought as replacement for Sea Eagle. These are meant to equip Jaguar maritime strike squadron. The deal was hanging for atleast 18 months as the tender specification resulted in single vendor deal, to which there were objections.

Brahmos can not be fitted on Jagurs.

JEEHA

Banned Member
p-8 MMA???????????????????? its still under developement!!!!!!! i dont think the us is even thinking about offering it to india!!!!!

tphuang

Super Moderator
India targeting China's oil supplies
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2957578/India-targeting-Chinas-oil-supplies.html

If that blockade was to happen, of Can China get by long enough with oil from Cental Asia & Russia?
They have 30 days of strategic reserve + imports for about 1/3 of its need + get 80% of import from Middle East and Africa. That means it looses about 25% of the oil that it needs in the event of a conflict. 30 full day of reserve would last 120 days. This is assuming that the country will not try to conserve usage in event of war and also that it will not buy more oil from Russia or produce more oil domestically in such an event.

And this article makes the assumption that India can actually choke it off, when it will have to intercept all oil tankers passing through the sea lane. After all, how do you know if a tanker is going to just China and not to Japan or Korea? Any of which, would constitute a declaration of war against the other country. And also, this makes the assumption that IN can defeat PLAN in open water. I would consider Singapore, Malaysia and Australia to be far greater threat in choking China off due to their closer proximity and in Australia's case (more advanced submarines).

Rish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2957578/India-targeting-Chinas-oil-supplies.html

If that blockade was to happen, of Can China get by long enough with oil from Cental Asia & Russia?
funny thing, i was reading about something along these lines today. it has to do with china's fuel consumption in a wartime scenario. heres the link to the article. its pretty interesting.

http://www.upiasiaonline.com/Security/2007/12/28/fuel_needs_limit_chinas_combat_ability/6628/

funtz

Goes to show that there are equal levels of bad journalism in defence matters all around the world.

The only way to choke some nation with a blockade is to come up near the ports, the modern day merchant shipping is in too big a mess to even think about targeting ships based on where the owners are based.

Indian Navy will not go near Chinese shores.

Controlling the seas, not becoming pirates.

The amount of resources it might take to board every single one of the Ships going to and coming from China will be humongous and everyone can see what it is that the Indian Navy will be procuring in the coming decade, nothing to point towards a suicide there.

funtz

You are right, Harpoon II are being bought as replacement for Sea Eagle. These are meant to equip Jaguar maritime strike squadron. The deal was hanging for atleast 18 months as the tender specification resulted in single vendor deal, to which there were objections.

Brahmos can not be fitted on Jagurs.
What all changes will the maritime strike sq. of jaguars need to accommodate these missiles, and will it be worth the investment, how long can we keep the jaguars going?

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
What is the latest on the P17s in Mumbai? Any progress made? Equipments installed? ANY NEW IMAGES!?!?

Rish

What is the latest on the P17s in Mumbai? Any progress made? Equipments installed? ANY NEW IMAGES!?!?
well according to bharat-raksha the first of the P17s was supposed to start sea trials in June of 2008. This is consist of reports by other sources. Other than that I haven't found any news of reports that sea trials have begun for the first of the ships. INS Shivalik is supposed to be inducted into the indian navy in december of this year.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Project17.html

Rish

Good news, the indian navy is in the process of acquiring six more diesel submarines

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/newsrf.php?newsid=10316

New Delhi, Sept 26 (PTI) India has initiated the process of acquiring six more submarines on the lines of the under-construction Scorpenes to augment its underwater warfare capabilities.
"The Navy has initiated the process of acquisition of six more diesel-electric submarines and has issued a Request for Information (RFI) to major manufacturers across the globe," top Defence Ministry sources told PTI today.

"The Defence Ministry will now await responses from these companies and will follow it up with global tenders or Request for Proposals (RFP) next year," they said.

In all, Navy plans to procure 30 new submarines to have formidable underwater fighting capabilities.

India already has 16 submarines of the Russian Kilo and German HDW Shishumar Class.

Among the countries from where India is seeking information are France, Russia and Italy, all with major submarine manufacturing capabilities.

The new submarines would be procured as a follow-on of the six Scorpene submarines being built at the Defence Public Sector Undertaking shipyard, Mazagon Dockyards Limited (MDL), in Mumbai.

"The additional six submarines will start joining the Indian Navy fleet after all the first set of six Scorpenes have joined the naval fleet," the sources said. PTI

Rish

Good news guys, Russia will start delivering MiG-29k's to India in Spring of 2009. BTW does anyone know how many aircraft the Admiral Gorshov will be able to carry when fully loaded. I couldn't find an exact number. Thanks

source: http://www.india -defence.com/reports-4034

Russia to Deliver MIG 29K Fighter Jets to India in 2009

Russia will start deliveries of MiG-29K Fulcrum-D carrier fighters to India in the spring of 2009. Russia and India signed a contract on January 20, 2004, stipulating the delivery of 12 single-seater MiG-29K and four two-seater MiG-29KUB by 2009, to be deployed on the Admiral Gorshkov, currently being retrofitted in Russia for the Indian Navy.

"The first four MiG-29K aircraft will be delivered to India in the spring of 2009," said Mikhail Globenko, marketing director of MiG. The MiG official said that there was an option in the contract to supply an additional 30 fighters by 2015 and the company was in talks with the Indian Navy on exercising this option.

"We are ready to exercise this option and it all now depends on the Indian side," Globenko said. He also said that Indian pilots started on Monday a five-month training course for MiG-29K in Russia and technical personnel had already been training in Russia for two months. "By the time the first aircraft arrive in India, their pilots and technicians will be ready," the Russian official said.

kay_man

Good news guys, Russia will start delivering MiG-29k's to India in Spring of 2009. BTW does anyone know how many aircraft the Admiral Gorshov will be able to carry when fully loaded. I couldn't find an exact number. Thanks

Russia will start deliveries of MiG-29K Fulcrum-D carrier fighters to India in the spring of 2009. Russia and India signed a contract on January 20, 2004, stipulating the delivery of 12 single-seater MiG-29K and four two-seater MiG-29KUB by 2009, to be deployed on the Admiral Gorshkov, currently being retrofitted in Russia for the Indian Navy.

QUOTE]

you have answered your own question. there will be 12.

Rish

QUOTE]

you have answered your own question. there will be 12.
So there is no difference between the number of aircraft the Gorshkov will be able to carry during wartime and peacetime? Seems kind of odd considering most contemporary aircraft carriers can up the number of aircraft they have on board during times of war if and when needed.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Let's not forget the Mig-29Ks will be competing for flight deck and hangar space with helicopters and Sea Harriers. For sure there will be a mix.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Let's not forget the Mig-29Ks will be competing for flight deck and hangar space with helicopters and Sea Harriers. For sure there will be a mix.
Last time i checked they had hardly any sea harriers left. Not sure how valid the assumption is, but i'm going to assume they'll be retired with Hermes/Viraat. Don't forget that it isnt only the flight deck and hanger of Gorshov that will need filling, but the deck and hanger of their indigenous carrier thats under construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.