How good are the Israeli Airforce pilots?

Big-E

Banned Member
radiosilence said:
my post was questioning the the kill ratio that this member posted below which i have my doubts about. it was never about india i just use the cope india exercise to show that the higher ups can manipulate exerices to suit their need. i didn't know certain folks can get so sensitive about me using the cope india exercise as example in my post.
The reason it's taboo, when anyone starts talking about it we get a Pak/India flame war as was demonstrated by this thread.

not to beat a dead horse but i shouldn't be held responsible for the actions of others. my post wasn't about cope india if certain members couldn't comprehend that it is no fault of mine. does anyone have credible proof of this statement below?

LancerMc said:
Like previous statements, the IAF's has done extremely well in war games against the USAF and USN, I have heard kill ratios in the order of 1to10 or 1to20 during the games.

Last edited:

Archer

swerve said:
Some air forces publish figures. There are also estimates, of varying reliability, for those which don't. Some of these figures are collated by, e.g., the IISS. My Military Balance 2003-2004 says Israeli regulars fly 180 hours, reservists 80. I expect any combat hours are additional to that. The upper figure is about the same as most NATO countries.

Flying hours aren't everything. Egyptian pilots get plenty of flying hours (far more than Syrians, nowadays), & Saudis probably more than Israeli. Doesn't mean they're more effective. Quality of training - how well they use those hours - is also important.

They sometimes train in Turkey, where there's plenty of space, & the Turkish air force as DACT opponents.
IISS figures are not always accurate. But they are better than nothing.

Ahmed87

As Egypt was and still one of Israel's main enemies in Israeli point of view .with no offense ,Israeli pilots are not the best ,Egyptian are the best ,stop faking facts .
Everybody knows what we did in the 6th of October War (yom kebour as you call it) in that war Israel was technologicaly advanced and well trained .I know that you destroyed all our aircrafts on the (Ground) ,Our loss was massive and numbers were scary.
But when the Egyptian airforce was rebuilt until 10/6/1973 about more than 200 egyptian aircaft different types did asuccessful strike ,we only lost one aircraft .
also dont forget that your F4 phantoms ,Skyhawk and Mirage v versus our Mig21 and Su-7 and extremly old aircraft that we modified it .
dont deny the losses you had at Yom kebour war ,it was great and we had the superiority in air to air combat ..........but killing civillians ,assassinating palestinean leaders and destroying houses doesnt make israeli airforce or pilots strong .and look what the egyptians did at the bright star

swerve

Super Moderator
Archer said:
IISS figures are not always accurate. But they are better than nothing.
Yes. And unfortunately, for some air forces they're all that's publicly available.

Archer

I understand. But just wanted to introduce a note of caution. For instance, the IAFs per type flying hours, depending on aircraft type and pilot (greenhorn (rookie), junior (flt lt,sq ldr), midranking (wingco), senior (GC)..) can vary between 150- 250 hrs/annually, even more...IISS says 180, and 240 for PAF, which as we know recently admitted that its pilots were at 9 hrs/mnth and is stabilizing at 15 sorties/mnth now. All in all IISS apparently went by rumint on the internet rather than some dogged checking up with mil attaches & the like.
Test pilots who are often deputed to HAL & elsewhere can pull obscene hours, a TP at HAL used to pull 360 hours/ yr minimum per his recollection across a dozen aircraft types! That apart, pure flying hours are not the panacea...what matters is what proportion is spent training in what. For instance, arguably, a pilot at a frontline squadron could have got more "combat run up" or equivalent as to aforesaid pilot as he spent his time training, while the TP spent his checking out specific attributes of specific aircraft.

swerve

Super Moderator
Archer said:
That apart, pure flying hours are not the panacea...what matters is what proportion is spent training in what.
Indeed. Even combat deployments may rack up the hours without necessarily honing skills, especially if they include long transfer flights, or uneventful patrols.

phips

Conserning the PAF vs. IAF discussion...

This might be a stupid question, but are you sure this article compared the PAF to the ISRAELI AIR FORCE alltogether?
The initials "IAF" not only stand for "Israeli Air Force" but also for "Indian Air Force". As some already pointed out, it would be sensless to compare Pakistan to Israel. But of course it would make perfect sense if the airforce compared to the PAF was the Indian one...

phips

Concerning the PAF vs. IAF discussion...

The IAF is on high alert 24/7. Thus they quite probably have much more flying time than most of the world's other pilots. If I remeber right German pilots for example get less than 80 hours a year.

Last edited:

Mr Ignorant

I have heard suggestions in the past that Israeli airforce combat pilots are the one of the best in the world - on par (or maybe better than the USAF). And the Israelis are the most combat proven of the lot. Is there any truth to this?
Israeli Pilots are the BEST. Check out the link below and watch part 2 when you can.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu21W-ls_bE&feature=related"]YouTube - History - IAF Dogfights Part 1[/ame]

ASFC

And that proves what exactly??

Israeli Pilots are Combat Proven. That doesn't make them the best, but one of the best. To try and find the worlds best air force pilots is futile because we don't have all the information.
As has already been said on this thread, the pilots are just one component of an Air Force and can do little if their equipment is rubbish, lack air time, maintainence troubles etc.