How good are the Israeli Airforce pilots?

Big-E

Banned Member
swerve said:
Right, but the quote you said was wrong was from 1993, i.e. when it was still in Miramar. So that particular part of your criticism of it was - aaah - imprecise. :D

Principle's right, though.
No no, he said immediatly after that

"As one senior US defence analyst commented to me in 1997, "it leaves Topgun (the US Naval Air Station in Miramar, California) far behind.

That's what I'm refering to, in 97' Miramar belonged to the Marine Corps.

kams

Big-E said:

"As one senior US defence analyst commented to me in 1997, "it leaves Topgun (the US Naval Air Station in Miramar, California) far behind.

Yep, TOPGUN shifted in May 1996.

topgun shifted to Nevada

May 30, 1996
Web posted at: 1 a.m. EDT

From Correspondent Charles Feldman

SAN DIEGO (CNN) -- In a bid to consolidate operations, the Top Gun flying school, popularized by the hit movie of the same name, relocated its pilots and planes to Nevada. Wednesday, the school's last planes took off from the Miramar Naval Air Base in San Diego for the last time.

swerve

Super Moderator
Big-E said:

Ah, missed that. :eek:hwell

saberII

Banned Member
Mod edit: Off-topic B.S. This thread is about Israel. Not PAF v Indian AF. AD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big-E

Banned Member
saberII said:
is there a terrorist's lun in ur mouth??? are you Challenging chuck yeager's claim...??? now thats what i call bhindi progaganda!!
I found your quotes page... http://www.pakdef.info/pakmilitary/airforce/morequotes.html

It's off pakdef, like they don't have an agenda...

Your little article about the IAF compared to PAF had nothing to do with Israel which is what this thread is about. You mislead the readers in this forum to think Janes was negative pressing Israel but it was false. Yeager was refering to something that happened a LONG time ago. It has absolutely no relevance to Pak pilots TODAY. Let's forget India and get back to your initial comment of Israel vs Pak pilots. They don't compare!

saberII

Banned Member
Mod edit: The Cope India exercise has been done to death on other threads. It holds no bearing on the nature of this thread. Get back on topic or it will be closed. AD.

Big-E

Banned Member
Mod edit: The Cope India exercise has been done to death on other threads. It holds no bearing on the nature of this thread. Get back on topic or it will be closed. AD.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Folks, lets get back to the topic. If you are indian or pakistani, you don't really have to talk about your countries.

Saber, please spell words correctly and write properly in your replies/posts...otherwise your post maybe deleted without warning.

Rules of the game:
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/rules.php

kams

Gentlemen, can we stick to the topic please. We can discuss Cope India in a different thread (it's been discussed to death).

kams

kams

Big-E said:
Yes, Yes, we all know Cope India was the USAFs attempt to scare congress to buy more F-22s. Now can we get back to Israel?

PS When refering to IAF in this thread it mean Israel NOT India!!!
maybe you should reread my first post on this thread before making silly comments. i never mistake the two nor did i make it about india. i used an example to make a point.

Big-E

Banned Member
radiosilence said:
maybe you should reread my first post on this thread before making silly comments. i never mistake the two nor did i make it about india. i used an example to make a point.
According to the mods it has nothing to do with this thread as all your posts were deleted and anything to do with that stupid exercise is over. Your point was USAF really isn't that bad... nothing to do with Israel.

Israel's training is almost identical to US procedures. The difference is in the training time and area their pilots have to work with. Given the limited geography of Israel, her limited number of ranges, and the cost per flight hour ($15k USD) the pilots don't get as much actual flight time as their USAF counterparts. They are forced to spend most of their time in a simulator. This puts them in a state of constant study and drill. If I had to rate IAF pilots against USAF I would put them on the level of reserve pilots overall... maybe a little better.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Their normal area of operation could be a special point in rating their capabilities.
They are fighting for decades in the same small area and by now they should have a small edge compared to other air forces not from this area.
They would maybe fail fast enough if they would be pushed to defend for example east russia with its huge dimensions and uncomplete radar cover.
But in their area of operations knowledge of the terrain up to the last stone, constant drill and experienced instructors could substitute their lack of flight ours.

But I'm no aviation expert so just my 2 cents.

Big-E said:
According to the mods it has nothing to do with this thread as all your posts were deleted and anything to do with that stupid exercise is over. Your point was USAF really isn't that bad... nothing to do with Israel.

Israel's training is almost identical to US procedures. The difference is in the training time and area their pilots have to work with. Given the limited geography of Israel, her limited number of ranges, and the cost per flight hour ($15k USD) the pilots don't get as much actual flight time as their USAF counterparts. They are forced to spend most of their time in a simulator. This puts them in a state of constant study and drill. If I had to rate IAF pilots against USAF I would put them on the level of reserve pilots overall... maybe a little better.
my post was questioning the the kill ratio that this member posted below which i have my doubts about. it was never about india i just use the cope india exercise to show that the higher ups can manipulate exerices to suit their need. i didn't know certain folks can get so sensitive about me using the cope india exercise as example in my post.

Mod edit: Fine now you know the reasons we keep a lid on such discussions. There's no need to keep bringing it up because all they do is turn into "pi**ing contests by people who actually believe that such one sided results could possibly be accurate. Cheers. AD.

LancerMc said:
Like previous statements, the IAF's has done extremely well in war games against the USAF and USN, I have heard kill ratios in the order of 1to10 or 1to20 during the games. .