Future Russian Aircraft Carrier

swerve

Super Moderator
on the VTOL part, though it may not require a super carier to operate but doesnt the MTOW is reduced because of it being a VTOL? hence more sorties? n what about fixed wing AEW? It cant operate from small carriers, without CTOBAR, unless the russians come out with something ingenius about it.
VTOL is utterly impractical for a combat aircraft, for exactly that reason. Can't carry a useful load & take off vertically. Harriers have always operated as STOVL: Short Take-Off, Vertical Landing, & that's what the F-35B will do. If a Yak-141 derivative, or any other Russian aircraft capable of VTOL, is put into service, I would expect it to do the same.

Lostfleet

Sorry, thats not the case at all. 2 Carriers only gives redundancy for one carrier at a given location. To achieve "uninterupted" on station status in disparate locations requires 3 carriers at a minimum. Even then, I'd question the length of time on station as it will be dependant on what maint cycles are in play.

Split fleets require a minimum 3rd vessel of type to be available if proper maint and support is in play. If not then you not only have a maint cycle nightmare, you also have no redundancy of platform type.

Logistics is always the reality breaker....
ok then let me rephrase :) 3 carriers in the Atlantic Ocean and 3 carriers on the Pacific Ocean ( thats a lot of carriers! ok ok I get it)

on the other hand, I don't know the effectiveness of AEW helicopters of Royal Navy carriers but I think that is the worst case scenario if Russia decide to build VSTOL Carriers.

Firehorse

Banned Member
For interdiction, recon, sea control, or anything else except power projection ashore they are quite capable. Otherwise, why would USN, RN, IN, RTN, Italian Navy, & RSN still use Harriers?
IMO, the Russians would like to have a few CVs, and say that they'll build them to look tough. Wether they actually build them is an open question. Canadians also said that they'll get SSNs to patrol their Arctic, but ended up getting 2nd hand SSKs from the UK!
IMO, they may never build an aircraft carrier in the Western sense of the word- more likely those new ships will still be "aviation cruisers".

Last edited:

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Sorry, thats not the case at all. 2 Carriers only gives redundancy for one carrier at a given location. To achieve "uninterupted" on station status in disparate locations requires 3 carriers at a minimum. Even then, I'd question the length of time on station as it will be dependant on what maint cycles are in play.

Split fleets require a minimum 3rd vessel of type to be available if proper maint and support is in play. If not then you not only have a maint cycle nightmare, you also have no redundancy of platform type.

Agreed, and that's just for one theater coverage. So imagine if you need presence in the North Atlantic, North Pacific, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean. . . .

3X also means numbers of air wing, fleet AO, CG, DDG, FFG, SSN, etc.

Ozzy Blizzard

I disagree, 2 would be the minimum. The QE2 class in only being built in 2's, the fochs were in 2's, the french will have 2 soon, which should give the RN & FN decent persistance. As i see it the only problem with a 2 ship fleet is the need to exersise. Sure you man not be able to sustain a battlegroup in theater indefinatly, but proabably a year pluss. 2 is the bare minimum for a carrier force, 3 means indefinate deployment.

Lostfleet

I know this is going to sound funny but Russia should order carriers from UK, at least it will be cost effective for both countries - more carriers ordered a little bit cheaper in the price

nevidimka

The angled deck may be well served if russia can get the Yak141 back into action with the latest updates. Also in terms of the limiting performances of thier AEW helicopters, probably russia should develop a new range of plane. I'm thingking of an UAEW or Unmanned AEW. It will be able to get around the MTOW of the angles deck.

Firehorse

Banned Member
Well, if they are going to be operating within the range of land-based AWACS, then helos maybe enough; and if not, they could use tilt-rotor or seaplane techology to overcome GTOW limitations on CVs without the CATs. I mean, it's possible to lower the plane off the ship and then use the sea surface for take-offs & landings!

Lostfleet

I would say UAV AWACS would be cool ( if you find a way to manage to launch and retrieve them)

I am not sure how long will it take Russia to develop tilt-rotor aircraft but if they can make it in time it will be a very useful platform for them.

Seaplane AEW is a clever idea, it worked in WWII, although the aircraft are bigger now, I think there is no reason for it not to work. Even this could be used from Kirovs or other ships. Also, if launch from board is considered, it would be hillarious to see the on board catapults reinstated at cruisers, destroyers and frigates. Of course weather permitting because at some sea states there will be big problems of launching and retrieving aircraft from the sea.

Firehorse

Banned Member
They already built & tested Ka-22, but the project was abandoned. But, even without the tilt-rotors, a few AEW Ka-31s from several ships could provide needed organic coverage to the CBG! Their
Radar tracking range for small boat - 250km, fighter/helicopter - 100 to 150km. Simultaneous automatic tracking of 20 targets. Look-down capability. http://ram-home.com/ram-old/ka-31.html
Initially, the aircraft carrier's flight deck was to be extended and a powder type catapult installed for short take-offs and landings (STOL). http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/...ion=updatenews
This is new to me! What is "powder type catapult", and can it be retro-fitted on Adm. Kuznetsov or a build into a future CV class?

Last edited:

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The angled deck may be well served if russia can get the Yak141 back into action with the latest updates. Also in terms of the limiting performances of thier AEW helicopters, probably russia should develop a new range of plane. I'm thingking of an UAEW or Unmanned AEW. It will be able to get around the MTOW of the angles deck.
I do believe you are referring to the "ski jump" ramp as opposed to the "angled deck".

nevidimka

I'm sorry. I didnt realise my mistake. Your correct, I ment Ski jump. taking off n landing a UAEW would be the same as a UAV, remotely done. I dont see why it cant be done. I believe there will be some form of UAV presence on carriers in the future.

Stryker001

Banned Member
Russia could order aircraft carriers from Ukraine - MP-2

24/09/2008 21:20 (Adds information on Black Sea Fleet discussions in paras 9, 10)
MOSCOW, September 24 (RIA Novosti) - Moscow may offer Ukraine contracts to build aircraft carriers for the Russian Navy, a senior Russian lawmaker told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080924/117081182.html

Last edited:

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
Russia could order aircraft carriers from Ukraine - MP-2

24/09/2008 21:20 (Adds information on Black Sea Fleet discussions in paras 9, 10)
MOSCOW, September 24 (RIA Novosti) - Moscow may offer Ukraine contracts to build aircraft carriers for the Russian Navy, a senior Russian lawmaker told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080924/117081182.html
some ones having a laugh pigs are more likely fly than Ukraine build an aircraft carrier for Russia:eek:nfloorl:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is an unfinished missile cruiser in Ukraine that there was talk of selling to Russia. Anyways I don't see anything unrealistic about some of the subsystems and components being built in Ukraine, at least initially.

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
There is an unfinished missile cruiser in Ukraine that there was talk of selling to Russia. Anyways I don't see anything unrealistic about some of the subsystems and components being built in Ukraine, at least initially.
even with the rotten relations between the two countries [including Ukraine anti invasion exercise] and all the other issues im sorry i just can't see what Ukraine would get in this relationship to build the carriers when they want to go west EU, NATO[sort of].

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
They would get contracts from Russia. Just like they get contracts on other defense projects which Russia and Ukraine co-op.

Stryker001

Banned Member
some ones having a laugh pigs are more likely fly than Ukraine build an aircraft carrier for Russia:eek:nfloorl:
The UK will have two, Russia will have 5 to 6.

If they split their naval battle groups they have one more carrier than the UK. That leaves another naval battle group roaming. Also they will not need the carriers to secure the integrity of Russian of repeal an offensive from NATO.

Carriers suggest a more aggressive foreign policy from Russia, also it would connected to resources in the Arctic and Antarctic. You don't spend money on 6 carriers and the other naval assets to create battle groups for self-defense purposes.

Once again if you understand the Bolshevik mind-set it is also to bolster the pro-Russian party's in the Ukraine, defense contracts are big business and 6 carriers is a lot of money, it also would secure Ukrainian energy supply from Russia, regardless of who is ruling in the Ukraine.

Nothing is impossible.

Last edited: