F-35 Lightning II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzy Blizzard

Not at all. Just the high weighting giving to the apparent marginal kinematic and aerodynamic performance improvement of types like the Su-30 over the F-35 as part of an index of lethality. This kind of weighting has fuelled the constant statements by APA and their ilk that Australia will not have any ‘first class’ fighters whereas other countries equipped with Su-30s will have plenty.
Thats fine mate but i dont know why your bringing this up. I Admitted I was wrong, i stated that APA's conclusions were wrong and i have stated MANY times now that the F35 will be far superior to the SU 30 in air to air combat especially when operating inside of a network.

The charts – which ‘Ozzy Blizzard’ has gleefully linked to – indicate huge shortfalls in Australia’s overall capability. As you now point out above this is total nonsense. The F-35s advantages in a whole range of other areas and operating as part of a total air combat force mean the Su-30’s better wing-loading or whatever count for naught in terms of lethality.
You really do think I'm Kopp or Goon or someone dont you????????????????? Dude you've been thinking about this WAY too much. I'm 22 for f*#k sake!!!

Not at all. I’m simply treating this low level of argument with the scorn it deserves. Not hate – scorn… Its not a personal attack on APA and their ilk but on the argument they offer and ‘Ozzy Blizzard’ has promoted and supported at every opportunity on this forum.
No i did in two other threads because i believed the threat was real and the deficiencies portrayed by APA were important. But after i thought about it, extensively and dispassionatly since that argument became personal, i realised that the conclusions they drew were wrong and they had not dealt with a huge portion of the argument. Thats why i brought it up and thats why i argued it, I thought it was right for my nation and i was concerned about the principle defenceive arm of the ADF and the single largest purchase in the ADF's history. Not because i'm actually affiliated with APA and i'm just persuing their "cause".

The big difference here is civil society. We have it, the Russians don’t. This is why publicly listed companies like Lockheed Martin take so much time to make public statements – they are getting it proofed by lawyers and the like because if they are found to be misinforming customers they will get sued for it. Things don’t work that way in Russia or for that matter… wait for it… Air Power Australia!
Ohh... i'm touched. An american corporation has NEVER lied before!!! Geesh where were you when ENRON collapsed????? And i didnt mean they would be providing a faulty product, just not beeing 100% forthcoming about the outcomes of the test. Anyway this is so far of the topic and i dont want to get into an argument on US corporate conduct.

Quite literally you can take a statement like this from Lockheed to the bank, from others… well I don’t make investments based on financial advice emanating from Nigeria or the propaganda department of Russian MoD.
I'm not going to get into this it'll go on for hours.

Quite wrong. This is an annual statement made by the USAF CoS outlining their priorities to lobby Congress for funding. Things that do not have secure funding go to the top. Which is why after USAF secured the MYP for F-22 it went to the bottom. Plus these priorities are weighting in accordance with those projects that will need the most lobbying to get approval. A huge project like F-35 which is highly unlikely to get cancelled doesn’t need the same effort as a pie in the sky grab for more F-22s which has little political support. From last year’s statement:

“Tanker hits top of the charts for recapitalization priority

by Staff Sgt. C. Todd Lopez
Air Force Print News

10/13/2006 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- The Air Force's new No. 1 procurement priority is the KC-X tanker, replacing the F-22 Raptor.

"Our priorities for procurement are the following," said Chief of Staff of the Air Force Gen. T. Michael Moseley. "The KC-X, the new tanker, is No. 1. CSAR-X, the new combat rescue helicopter, is No. 2. Our space-based early warning and communications satellites are No 3. The F-35 (Lightning II) is No. 4. And the next generation long range strike bomber is No. 5."

During discussions with newspaper reporters here Oct. 12, General Moseley said the F-22 program has stabilized.

The Air Force recently secured multi-year procurement funding for the Raptor from Congress. That funding would affect Raptor purchases until about 2012. Now that the Air Force is secure in the number of Raptors it will purchase, and in the price it will pay for them, it has shifted its procurement priorities, the chief of staff said.”
Again the article states this clearly. He doesent mention the Raptor as much because the the future of the platform seems fixed. The F35 is too big to stop and i agree there is no chance of it being cancelled bar global warming happening in 5 years, but the F35 isnt funded, the production lines may indeed be opening but there are no guarentees on the numbers of aircraft to be procured.

F-35 is not just in SDD on funding, it is funded for production. The line has been started and it won’t close for a very long time. That is a huge difference between having the line open and not, as in SDD
How many aricraft have been purchased i wonder????? It wont be cancelled i agree but its future is far from 100% "secure" i.e. aircraft bought and paid for. The only aircraft that have been bought are the test aircraft. Now the COS may be waiting to fight that battle when he comes to it, thats a fair enough point, but there does seem to be a sertain apathy

I for one are sick of this ridiculous interpretation of US politics provided by APA and their ilk which constantly supports the F-22 and its export no matter what the realities, and suggests the F-35 is on the verge of project cancellation. It has been proven wrong at every turn.
It seems the prosepects for F22 export ar slim but that doesent meen we cant talk about it does it?????

Hah haha… I’m just doing this for the benefit of our RAAF readers who are all seriously aggrieved at the way they have had their professional reputation dragged through the mud by you OB/CK (identicalness in language and IP addresses are a big giveaway old chum). Watching you scurry around under the barrage is worth it. Sure this may not be the most mature thing in the world but retribution rarely is.

You really belive this crap dont you? I thought you were just being an asshole. You think i've been a member on here for a few years, diliberatly mirepresented my age and occupation, sat here biding my time asking questions and acting stupid untill the chance came along for me to promote the APA cause. Mate you are a sad sad man. Why dont you actually check my IP adress or get GF too???

I'll PM you my identity, if you keep this crap up i will take it up with Webbs.

However in my defence I am providing the readers here at DT a range of new and valuable information and neutral and accurate analysis. If they want me to stop they can ban me.
HA!!! balanced!!! :eek:nfloorl:. Mate in your opinion any critisism of your pet platform is propaganda. I've not once heard you say a single bad thing about the F35, that alone indicates how ballanced your analysis is.

Since when did I mention USAF? I mentioned JORN? 1RSU is not on the USAF orbat… Nor did I label the Tu-22 irrelevant, despite it not actually being an acquisition or capability held by a regional nation. I labelled the APA argument that the only way to defeat a Tu-22 is with a F-22 as irrelevant.
You mentioned Tu22 and the USAF's strategic might in the same sentance. And as i said before its not just the platform its the cruise missile threat in general. And your right there are other ways to deal with high speed high altitude threats, placing platforms outside their launch ranges with EW from JORN is one, so is pre empting and hitting the threat on the ground. But a squadons of F22's couldnt hurt, and if we ever coudln't pre empt or EW was comprimised by ECm or the like then a high speed interceptor will be very usefull.

No they didn’t. Their fleet defence was based around an Aegis ship – which provided their entire defensive force a Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC). The E-2, F-14 and many other systems are just nodes in CEC. Plus this was a defence against an attack by at least several regiments of Tu-22s, or >100.
Mate thats total BS and you know it. AEGIS and SM1/2 were never going to engage a backfire, they were only meant to diliut the AShM's that the backfires launched. The only platform's that was designed to actually stop the backfires were the F14 an E2 in combination with the phoenex missile system.

More and more propaganda. Cling to the F-35 is the new F-105 ‘Thunderchief’ argument, its almost as bad as the F-35 is the new ‘Wirraway’ nonsense. Now I’ve had several discussions with the person who was the JSF program manager, when it was first established (JAST), ex Lt. Gen. George Muellner, USAF, who now works for Boeing so I guess that makes him compromised… Anyway the F-35 was NOT conceived as a CAS aircraft. From day one the requirement was for a multi-role fighter, including ATA. Because from day one the F-35 was designed to replace a range of aircraft that engage in multi-role missions including the F-16 and F/A-18.
Of corce its a multi role platform!!!!!!!!!! I said that, even APA says that. But alot of its systems are optimised for low level strike, thats the cold hard truth mate. Now does that make it a bad A2A performer, NO, the APG 81 alone is an excellend sensor and its LO will make it very lethal in BVR engagements, but it isnt designed to be a mini F22 as you portray, they both have different jobs and the F35 strike was the primary concideration, and unless your blind that is evident in the aircraft. now that doesent mean its a bad A2A performer, but you sighted the number of systems in the platform as evidence that the only reason the F22 was more expensive was because it was a biger aircraft :)onfloorl: ), when most of the systems on the F35 ARE designed to allow it to work in a low level, high threat environment. The F22 and F35 are very different platforms mate and both are designed to do different jobs in the USAf OrBAT.

Surely I don’t need to add a corresponding date stamp to every statement I make? Is the mantra that the F-22 is a “golden bullet plane” something new? Did it only emerge last week? No I am referring to when the mantra began which is almost 10 years ago and subsequently when the F-22 has had to jump through so many hoops and make so many deals to survive. Even then it was reduced from 700 to 190 for its production order.
Considering the cost of the platform and the threat thats understandable. but that would indicat the platforms capabilities wouldn't it?

If you compare program survival of the F-22 to the F-35 from conception to first production order then the F-35 has been far more robust and supported. One clear example is conception to production numbers. Which for the F-22 when from 700 to 190 and for the F-35 from 2800 to 2400. One emerged through this brutal process with only 30% of units intact the other over 80%.
Again the price of the aircraft is critical and 2400 aint final.

What we have here is another textbook case of a basic level ‘information operations’ campaign conducted by a card-carrying member of the anti-F-35 intellectual cult. Facts are rare and the interpretations are loaded to bear. It may fool the kiddies but anyone here on DT interested in defence to a serious level should look deeper.
The fact that your a paraniod old man has just dawned on me. its an idelaogical struggle for you mate, i'm getting that now. You think Kopp and Goon are coming out of the woodwork!!!! They (sorry i:eek:nfloorl:) have been scurrying arround spreading intelectual disease, they even go to all the trouble of joining a forum like DT, missrepresenting themselves as uni students, asking members for advice on career options, fained ignorance on several issues, even lost arguments deliberatly all so no one suspect that they were really APA agents here to spread dismay and missinformation on the F35 purchase! Given this level of threat i can understand your commitment mate, your dealing with a conspiracy after all. :rolleyes: I've dealt with mental illness before and your bordering on the dilusional.

I dont want to deal with this crap anymore AGRA, its at a point now were no one can critisize the F35 in any way and not be labled an APA agent. We can candidly discuss the AWD an often do, but we cant discuss the bigest single purchase in the ADF's history because of your dilusional cause. Do everyone a favor and STFU about it!

Ozzy Blizzard

There are other weapons options to meet what 4-6 or up to 12 F-35Bs can bring to an amphibious landing or force projection operation.

For air defence SM6 combined with VTOL AEW can provide a much larger and over the horizon air defence shield. While not the same kind of air defence as a carrier remember we are only talking about a small force of F-35Bs that would only be able to maintain a CAP of two or so aircraft.
They cant provide a CAP for deployed forces and SM6 wont have anywere near the intercept range of an AIM120D equiped F35b. SM6 and hele based AEW are critical to counter the AShM threat anyway.

For CAP and interdiction strike ERGM and NTACMS combined with VTUAV and other ship based land attack options are viable. Such a force would actually be more effective as it would be much easier to maintain a 24/7 airborne sensor with rapid response., whereas the F-35Bs would struggle to maintain a CAS CAP, along with DCAP plus some strike and ISR missions.

Why does it have to be exclusive? You wouldn't rely solely on the F35b for your fleet air defence, a small number of F35b's in addition to the systems outlined would give the RAN tremnedous offenceive and defenceive capability. They are complementry not exclusive.

Ozzy Blizzard

The Harpoon could probably fit but there would be the cost of integrating the weapon system and proofing the drop and carry.

JSM is not the airdropped NSM. The NSM has an airdropped version for use by the RnoAF’s F-16s but production has yet to be funded – though production of ship launched NSM has received funding. JSM is part of the Norway-JSF deal in which Lockheed will provide marketing support to the planned Block II NSM, called the JSM. It isn’t a very popular deal within Lockheed, certainly amongst the JASSM people.

Australia has jointly funded with Norway a preliminary integration study for the NSM and the F-35A. The results were yes its possible. It’s now up to any number of partner countries to decided to go ahead with integrating NSM into the Block IV or later Block F-35A. Australia is considering this based on the cost, which will depend on who else is willing to pay for it. The same that we are also considering integrating ASRAAM into Block IV or later Block F-35A with the RAF (ASRAAM will only be integrated into the F-35B at the moment).

There are other options for ship attack from the F-35 including the JASSM with the data link and sea skimming mod and internal carriage of JSOW. Both these weapons will be integrated with the F-35A. A mix of both for differing maritime strike profiles – like JASSM for the high end sinking of enemy CVBGs and JSOW for FIACs – would be an excellent option.
Sorry ADM stated that JSM was the airdroped NSM and thats what we were considering on the F35 block 4.

I wonder what we will do with the harpoon stocks???

And the JASSM/JSOW idea sounds like a good one, just depends on the numbers of JASSM's purchased.

The F-35C is a no chance unless we were to acquire a CTOL carrier or a ‘coalition carrier’ concept like the Germans are pushing. Defence has already done the cost-benefit analysis and it’s not worth it. Having additional F-35As compared to F-35C makes a lot more sense. Any enhanced range of the F-35C courtesy of the bigger wing is not really significant for actual mission profiles.
kk...

If you were to operate F-35Bs off the LHDs then there goes that LHD’s ability to carry the landing force. We have only purchased two LHDs and both are needed together to carry the basic 2,000 man landing and sustainment force. You would need to acquire additional LHDs to have a carrier capability unless you wanted to scrap the amphibious doctrine.

However F-35Bs could be an option for the RAAF to operate in a ‘coalition carrier’ concept with the USMC and RN.
Again why does it have to be exclusive???? I'm sure the 2 LHD's could operate ~6 F35b's and not fatally compimise the ammount of troops they can deploy. It would compromise the ammont of helo's caried but i dont see why how it would deamaticly effect the number of troops deployed.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Right. I don't want to shut the thread as it has useful info points being generated. I also don't want to see a continuation of the imbroglio thats in play.

so the options are:

ignore, engage or seek other thread pastures to graze on.

just as a side issue, AGRA and Magoo are probably the only ones in here who have actually met the programme managers, liaised with Lockmart, flown the simulators, and at least one of them (that I know of) has seen the ADF sims against the Mig 35 TVC etc.... (Which is not in the public domain).

Now, some of us may not agree with them, but they're in a far better place to make comment than 99.9% of the rest of DT members.

So if we can just pause, count to 500 and continue on, then I'm sure that everyone will gleen some nuggets of declassified (but not necessarily released) info.

PLAY NICE. and we don't need follow on threads to Web or the Mods on "who's on first"

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Having read through this thread with interest, I wish to interject this reminder regarding the F-35 Lightning II. The F-35 JSF program was intended to provide a common aircraft to replace a number of existing designs, covering a number of different roles. As a result of the desire for a multi-role aircraft, design compromises were made to achieve that result, a superior multi-role aircraft. Due to these compromises required to perform well in other roles, the performance of the F-35 in a strictly air-to-air role wouldn't be expected to equal that of the F-22A Raptor or the EF Typhoon.
The assumption is that there was a compromise? What compromises? Just because there is one engine? Well it’s a low weight aircraft – just like the F-16. The F-35 has a very impressive thrust to weight ratio that is actually higher than the Su-27’s at full internal fuel load.

Is it a compromise that the most advanced and comprehensive sensor suit, powered by the most capable computer and software capacity ever to fly in a fighter or strike aircraft is being fitted to the F-35? Is it a compromise to design the F-35 for VLO, to reduce weight to levels to make give it STOVL capability and apply those weight savings to the other versions? Is it a compromise to sign up the largest pre-production order book seen in a fighter since WW2? Is it a compromise to involve then investment and input of some of the most technically advanced nations in the world. Is it a compromise for some of the world’s premier air arms to be involved in the development of the requirements and capability of the new fighter?

To design a multi-role aircraft does not automatically imply compromise. The F-35A will be hugely capable in air to air against any threat. Certainly far more capable than the ‘Typhoon’ that lacks the kind of stealth and mission systems of the F-35. From an overall systems perspective the F-35 will also be more capable than the F-22 because you will have two F-35s for every F-22 due to system cost efficiencies allowing wider coverage and more weapons carriage. Even in the ridiculous one on one all by themselves ATA against the F-22 the F-35 would come out on top because it has IRST and other sensors where the F-22 would be entirely reliant on radar vs VLO.

The degree to which people are willing to bag out the F-35 based on innuendo, supposition, and amateurish aerodynamic analysis is outrageous.

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Sorry ADM stated that JSM was the airdroped NSM and thats what we were considering on the F35 block 4.
Kind of close but they got the details wrong, as I outlined above. Lockheed have provided the high level marketing information about JSM to CDE but so has Kongsberg on NSM. One’s in production and the other is still on the drawing board. However JSM is very much a block II NSM so should be able to follow its drop and carry integration path.

Well they will still be needed up to and beyond 2020. The Super Hornet and P-8 will all carry and operate the Harpoon. Plus the missile's only have a limited time of life so when they expire they won't be replaced or renewed.

And the JASSM/JSOW idea sounds like a good one, just depends on the numbers of JASSM's purchased.

The anti-ship JASSM is in effect an upgrade to the normal JASSM. So all will have the capability. It would be a matter of x JASSMs needed for the stand off strike mission plus y, the number needed for the maritime strike.

Again why does it have to be exclusive???? I'm sure the 2 LHD's could operate ~6 F35b's and not fatally compimise the ammount of troops they can deploy. It would compromise the ammont of helo's caried but i dont see why how it would deamaticly effect the number of troops deployed.
Well the aircrews, operations staff and maintenance staff would eat into the troop accommodations. But most significantly all the ship’s cargo space would be taken up with the consumables needed to operate the F-35Bs. Each LHD may still be able to carry 600 troops on top of the F-35B + helo crews but those troops will not have any vehicles and any sustainment stores, just their personal loads. US LHDs are almost twice the size of the Canberra LHD so they have the space to carry that needed to operate and deploy both landing forces and heavy air units.

The you would want to deloy the ship in the way you would a carrier not an amphibious landing ship. You couldn’t ballast down the well dock if you needed to conduct F-35B operations and going in close inshore with a carrier is not necessarily the best place to launch fighters.

If you want a carrier go and buy a carrier, its a case of fish OR fowl… not half and half.

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
They'll chuck a booster on the back of them and take them to sea with the Navy! All our Block II Harpoons are interchangeable between air and surface launched.

Ozzy Blizzard said:
Whilst I can't provide actual numbers, the footprint in personnel and equipment required to support 4 or 6 F-35Bs aboard an LHD would be quite substantial, making a large dent in the number of amphibious forces and their hardware able to be employed. I agree with Agra - it would probably be a self-defeating capability. This is why USN LHDs are 42,000+ tonnes, not 27,000 tonnes like ours will be.

BTW - Agra's done alot more work on this subject than I have recently, so he's probably our current resident expert for any follow-ups.

Cheers

Magoo

10ringr

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
What a genius

OK so we don’t enter the F-35 in any Red Bull Air Races against the Su-30… However kinematic performance is not going to help the Su-30 in any available force structure go up against the F-35 in their force structure. Kinematic performance didn’t help the MiG-25s against the F-15s and it won’t the next generation.

Not at all. But the rubbishing of the test pilot as ‘not a reliable source’ of comment is typical of information warfare inspired practices of APA. While APA has failed to have any real impact on the force structure decisions for the RAAF they have been quite successful at running a public relations campaign. I suggest they give up on aviation and move to the US and set up a political campaign agency and rake in some big dollars spinning bullshit for other scumbags.

See my response above – more propaganda nonsense. You know very well this isn’t a list of priorities in terms of force structure. It’s a list of priorities to obtain funding from Congress. Unfunded items go to the top those with funding like F-35 to the bottom. Gobbells would be proud of this IW spin.

More abject nonsense. Since when are USAF F-22s going to fight RAAF Super Hornets? Are you planning something? A resurgence of Mark Latham for PM? Or Perhaps Bob Brown? Or maybe Mufti Al Halwali...

Those LD ratios sound ridiculous. F-22 and F-35 will both achieve a LD against the Su-30 of 0-x, x being the number of Su-30s available to the enemy.

And you claim to be an ‘Ozzy’… For shame, for shame…

Ohh Carlo I don’t know what’s worse that you believe this crap or that you’ve convinced others its important. The Tu-22!!!!

You know there are other ways to counter very small number of pinprick Tu-22 attacks, even in the increasingly unlikely event they were ever targeted at Australia. The US Navy in the 1980s that faced a real Tu-22 threat didn’t rely purely on high speed interceptors they had a range of responses. As do we… JORN being on top of that list…

I’m afraid this is nonsense. The F-35 achieves significant cost savings compared to the F-22 by being smaller in size (weight = cost) and by being bigger in volume achieving efficiencies of scale. It doesn’t skimp on systems and capability, having more systems in it than the F-22.

A force made up of F-35s will achieve air dominance just like the F-22. The mantra that the F-22 is the golden bullet is just crap design to keep it’s project alive. Or maybe an insurance policy against something unexpected like The Transformers or Godzilla… Because China and/or Russia are not going to be anywhere near challenging the US’s strategic might within our lifetimes.
They said they same thing about Hitler not being a threat and buddy boy the threat is real and it's already here. The US economy is about 15 Trillion and China is about 10 Trillion with twice the growth.Do the match! They are spitting out all of the advanced fighterd Russia has developed over the years and they have the financial capital to overwhelm us numerically. You live in a fantasy world if you say things like they won't be a threat in our lifetime, Admin: Text deleted.The F35 wasn't meant to be the world beater the F/A 22 is. It was meant as a cost saving measure and that isn't to say it isn't an excellent bird but like the F/A 18 it's a good bird that they are stretching to make it work and if you don't believe that then you clearly don't understand what is commonly known and you ought to comment on things you know about

Admin: Text deleted.

I didn't write all the prev to have it ignored.

Last edited by a moderator:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thread closed for the weekend.

I haven't written all of my prev comments because I'm bored.

There will be no further toleration of barbs and cracks at individuals. If anyone is compelled to spit chips, then PM the other party.

Do not drag it into this arena

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Reported Post

Apart from the lack of maturity demonstrated by the complainant.

1. The forum owner is american
  2. Repeated requests have been made to all and sundry via PM and via the open threads for people to respect the opinions of others and to abide by the Forum Guidelines - its a condition of participation
  3. Freedom of Expression is accompanied by reasonable behaviour. It doesn't entitle everyone to engage in a free for all and treat others like idealogical punching bags. Intelligent debate doesn't need to be accompanied by verbal fisticuffs
  4. Visited any other US Milchat forums recently and seen them accept this kind of argey bargey? The ones I'm on will throw you off pretty quickly if you don't abide by requests to toe the line.
  5. Australia became a Federation in 1901. The last penal colony was in the State of Tasmania - In Australia the first free state was proclaimed in 1836 (South Australia). You're confusing Colonial Powers with Federal Powers. (a 65 year gap between drinks)
Have a nice day

This is part of this thread:
F-35 Lightning II
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6541

This is the reason that the user gave:
In American we have the right to our opinion. Perhaps that is why you are still a Penal colony and don't welcome freedom of expression.

This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all administrators if there are no moderators.

Please respond to this post as applicable.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Thanks Gary.

Also please read the rules:

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/rules.php

The rules are equal for everybody, from all countries and all cultures. We ask that you respect others in order to get some in return. If you get emotional easily over differing opinions, maybe you should reconsider your approach to forum based debates.

Thank you for understanding, enjoy!

PS: Yes, I am an American citizen. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.