F-35 Lightning II

Status
Not open for further replies.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Newsflash to all.

There's an emerging increase in the use of scatalogical invectives, if we could remember to keep it out of threads.

Although some of us may swear like wharfies in day to day comms, not everyone else does.

I'm guilty of this as much as everyone else, so its a reminder to all.

Ozzy Blizzard

OK so we don’t enter the F-35 in any Red Bull Air Races against the Su-30… However kinematic performance is not going to help the Su-30 in any available force structure go up against the F-35 in their force structure. Kinematic performance didn’t help the MiG-25s against the F-15s and it won’t the next generation.
Its not just Kinematic performance and there is a bit more difference between the F35's raw capabilities and the Su30's thean the MiG 25 & F15 (which apart from its small difference in top speed was superior in most other raw peramiters if i'm not mistaken) but anyway. Your right the F35 will be superior to the SU30 in air to air combat, drasticly so when operating with offboard sensors in a network. But personally i'm not of the opinion, unlike all of those super hornet fanns out there, that a fighter is only as capable as its radar and RCS. You seem to think a fighter's raw performance is meaningless as you constantly dismiss any advantage any platform has in this reguard over the F35 including the F22. Maybe we could dave some money and coat a 737 in F35 style RAM and put 6 APG 79's on the front of the damn thing? The AIM 120D payload would be massive and those pesky SU 30's wouldnt stand a chance, we could even call it MOTHRA and scare the hell out of the commies eh? Sine an aircraft is only as good as its radar after all.

Not at all. But the rubbishing of the test pilot as ‘not a reliable source’ of comment is typical of information warfare inspired practices of APA. While APA has failed to have any real impact on the force structure decisions for the RAAF they have been quite successful at running a public relations campaign. I suggest they give up on aviation and move to the US and set up a political campaign agency and rake in some big dollars spinning bullshit for other scumbags.
I know this is a personal thing for you. Its quite clear you hate Dr kopp with a passion. Thats fine your more than intitled to your opinion. But if your going to hijack every single thread were someone critisizes the F35 as an outlet to attack APA your going to make said discussions both boaring and untennable as they will end up in an argument and closed down. For gods sake you opened a thread with the name "malaysia want's to buy super hornets" and attempted to use it as an outlet to insult me personally and somehow use an article on maylasia's future platform aquisitions to justify your opinions on Dr Kopp. PLEASE AGRA i'm getting sick of this anti APA crap and i'm sick of this conversation. Is it even slightly possible that you, as a defence professional, can discuss the F35 in a professional maner without useing it as a vehical to attack APA. To be honnest your just being childish and your going to reck annother interesting thread in order to persue your own personal agenda. How about we have a respectfull discussion without mentioning APA or attacking each other personally? If thats too much then how about not talking about them for 60% of your post?

And the test pilot is an employee of LM is he not? I have heard several defence professionals dismiss performance data on russian systems as unreliable and irrelevent as marketing data even though it was given by the russian companies who make the system envolved, but anything a lockheed martin employee says is gospell right? Now i'm not saying that he is an unrelyable source, he flew the aircraft. But if it wasnt meeting performance peramiters he wouldnt be advertising that fact at a press conference would he? Pluss he said it flew alot like the F22 which emplyed its capabilities were similar to the F22 which i dispute.

See my response above – more propaganda nonsense. You know very well this isn’t a list of priorities in terms of force structure. It’s a list of priorities to obtain funding from Congress. Unfunded items go to the top those with funding like F-35 to the bottom. Gobbells would be proud of this IW spin.
This is exactly what i mean, see my response above, the USAF chief of staff clearly states what his priorities are for future aquisitions and you accuse me spreading propaganda??? mate your starting to sound silly!

And the F35 doesent have funding, its in the SDD phase for gods sake! The F22 is in squadron service. AFAIK congress have only funded the test aircraft, all 9 of them, and there are NO guarentees on the numbers to be bought, so much for your little theory. The chief of staff see's securing funding for a rescue helicopter, a new set of tankers, a full complement of F22's and 6 other things before securing funding for the full complement of F35's. Now i'm not spinning that at all its what the man said. The magazine is Combat Aircraft Volume 8 Number 2 May 2007 page 42.

More abject nonsense. Since when are USAF F-22s going to fight RAAF Super Hornets? Are you planning something? A resurgence of Mark Latham for PM? Or Perhaps Bob Brown? Or maybe Mufti Al Halwali...
Its a way of comparing combat capability, and the point is that LM who built the platform consider it to be 3 times less capable at A2A combat than the F22.

Those LD ratios sound ridiculous. F-22 and F-35 will both achieve a LD against the Su-30 of 0-x, x being the number of Su-30s available to the enemy.
More of the composed, professional and logical argument i have come to expect from you AGRA, you even back up statements with some sort of logical eveidence.:rolleyes:

And you claim to be an ‘Ozzy’… For shame, for shame…
I am mate, and i dont have the cleanest mouth on the planet, but i dont swear here, its not the place for it.

Ohh Carlo I don’t know what’s worse that you believe this crap or that you’ve convinced others its important. The Tu-22!!!!
This is EXACTLY what i mean. I'm not sure if you are "accusing" me of being "Carlo" or you are directing your comments at Mr Kopp somewhere out there in DT world. If you are accusing me of being Dr Carlo Kopp for the third time it shows just how immature you really are and i just hope other members arn't being fooled by the blue name next to your posts, there is nothing preofessional about your conduct at all. Its more like a pissed off 14yr old who likes calling people ames but doesent actually deal with anything they are saying or the argument at hand.

You know there are other ways to counter very small number of pinprick Tu-22 attacks, even in the increasingly unlikely event they were ever targeted at Australia. The US Navy in the 1980s that faced a real Tu-22 threat didn’t rely purely on high speed interceptors they had a range of responses. As do we… JORN being on top of that list…
For one thing its not just the Tu22, thats may be the apex platform but its the cruise/standoff missile threat in general that needs to be considered. You dont seem to be considereing it at all and just lableing any platform aquisitions or capability's of nations in the region as irrelevent, since its all APA propaganda and then point out the USAF's capabilities. Incase you didnt notice the RAAF is NOT an arm of the USAF.

And the USN based their Fleet air defence arround the E2 and the F14. They may have had other responses but fleet air defence was based arround these platforms. I wonder how well they would have faired without them?

I’m afraid this is nonsense. The F-35 achieves significant cost savings compared to the F-22 by being smaller in size (weight = cost) and by being bigger in volume achieving efficiencies of scale. It doesn’t skimp on systems and capability, having more systems in it than the F-22.

Ahhhh, its cheaper because its smaller!!!!! Wow is that why? So its as simple as Weight=Cost, apart from that they have identicle capabilities and the F35 is just a smaller version of the F22! Thanks AGRA thats awesome!!!!

Its funny though, i thought the F35 was specifically designed to fulfill a role that was copmpleatly different to the F22 and its LO, raw performance and systems were all intended to allow the platform to fulfill that role? i thought the F35 was intended to be fulfill low level CAS and BID requirement very well with A2A combat as a secondary objective, while the F22 was designed to fulfill the air superiority and strategic strike roles and therefore both of the platforms are optimized for these jobs. But maybe your right and the only difference is the size of the aircraft, since it doesent sacrifice any capabilities with the reduction on cost its all because of the metal and composit materials saved on the smaller structure:rolleyes:.

And the F35's systems are all geared arround the low level strike requirement, the EOTS, DAS and its LO are all designed arround the F35 being able to be lethal and survivable in a low level high threat envireonment. The only "system" that is applicable to BVR A2A combat is the APG 81, and the APG 77 is superior. t seems the F22's systems are geared towards being very capable at A2A combat and the F35's seem to be geared towards being very capable at CAS/BID, funny that since they were the jobs they were inteded to do. But your right there is no real difference in capabilities and the only difference the F35 will be cheaper is because on the materials saved in its smaller design :)onfloorl:) and because they are building more of them.

A force made up of F-35s will achieve air dominance just like the F-22. The mantra that the F-22 is the golden bullet is just crap design to keep it’s project alive. Or maybe an insurance policy against something unexpected like The Transformers or Godzilla… Because China and/or Russia are not going to be anywhere near challenging the US’s strategic might within our lifetimes.
LOL yeah the F22 is the project under threat, even though its in squadron service and the F35 is in the SDD phase. maybe congress will take away the F22 in service at the moment, shut down the production line give the project managers a good spanking because the F35 is such a better opotion for the whole USAF as there is noting the F22 can do that the F35 cant just as well:eek:nfloorl:.

Let me get this streight. In your opinion when the air force chieff of staff states that the F35 is his 10th priority its all propaganda, and when anyone from the USAF touts the F22's capability its propaganda designed to keep the project 'alive" when its allready operational, but anything positive stated about the F35 is gospell and claims that it is just a smaller F22 and pretty much as capable are spot on?

Mate your a laugh a minet. How about we have a balanced logical discussion about the platform and its contemporaries??? Are you capable of doing that or does that APA itch just need scratching too much?????

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this story is just one saying the F-35 is on track and has no major drama's, yet. Which is good. I wouldn't read much more into it than that.

The F-35 may or may not out perform its inital targets. In which varients? By how much? Good questions yet to be answered.

Australia needs a strike aircraft more than an air superiority aircraft. F-35 should make up a majority of the force under any dream condition (ie F-22 export allowed, unlimited budget).

The F-35 is a brillant aircraft. Of all nations, Australia will be a big winner because:

F-35A is a very good strike aircraft that will be a improvement on the F-18's
F-35A is reasonable air superiority fighter against older and fewer opponents and will outperform current F-18's. Certainly its buck rogers stuff for the region.
F-35A will outrange F-18's
The F-35B will allow Australia to regain carrier power. (making them better strike and air superiority allowing more aircraft to operate in a region, more of the time, with more fuel etc).

It allows Australia to purchase around 100 aircraft. Which is more than it really has operating now (F-18 + F-111).

It unifies its logististics from F-18, F-18 SH, F-111 to one major aircraft type.

The F-22 question is really several years away. If Australia wanted F-22's they would be behind US orders and Japan. And its icing sugar for a problem that does not yet exist. It won't be a election issue anyway because of the time frame. Sure have a healthy debate now, but realistically F-22's won't make remote sense for alteast another 5-10 years at the very earliest.

A

Aussie Digger

Thats a fair enough point. However even if a platform hasn't actually flown yet you can be reasonably sure of its capabilities if you just look at its design specifications. A platform is may indeed exceed its objectives, however that doesent mean that it can dramaticly alter the platforms performance. The F35 may indeed end up being more agile and kinemiticaly capable than its objectives, but that doesent mean it will be significantly so, ie somehow somehow be as capable as the SU30 MKI Typhoon or F22A in this reguard. So i dont see a problem in discusing a platforms capabilities just becaus it isnt in full scale production yet. As i have said before requirement=design=cost, dont expect it to be something it wasnt designed to be.

This argument presupposes you actually KNOW what the specifications are at the time of judging said aircraft's performance.

The F-135 engine is a perfect example of this. According to L-M literature it's a 40,000lbs engine (full afterburn). Yet before it's development has neared completion it has already demonstrated sustained thrust at 43,000lbs.

The F-136 has apparently demonstrated 52,000lbs of power to date and is even further behind in it's development than the F-135.

Doing your sums is all well and good but if the figures are wrong to start with, what does that say about ones conclusions?

Talk about basing arguments on a house of cards...

A

Aussie Digger

And the test pilot is an employee of LM is he not? I have heard several defence professionals dismiss performance data on russian systems as unreliable and irrelevent as marketing data even though it was given by the russian companies who make the system envolved, but anything a lockheed martin employee says is gospell right? Now i'm not saying that he is an unrelyable source, he flew the aircraft. But if it wasnt meeting performance peramiters he wouldnt be advertising that fact at a press conference would he? Pluss he said it flew alot like the F22 which emplyed its capabilities were similar to the F22 which i dispute.
Jon Beezley was a test pilot on the F-22 program.

Given he is the LEAD test pilot on the F-35 program as well, I can't imagine a more authoritative source on these matters at present.

L-M manufacturers BOTH aircraft too I might add.

There is not 1 shred of evidence demonstrating that the F-35 is not meeting it's performance parameters (whatever they may be). There is OTOH, a significant body of evidence that whatever some people state the performance of the F-35 might be, the platform is currently proving them wrong and is showing a very great level of performance, greatly exceeding even " aerodynamically clean" F-16 chase planes, which is NO mean feat...

As RAAF seems destined to acquire it to the exclusion of anything else, I for one HOPE it continues to do so.

Ozzy Blizzard

This argument presupposes you actually KNOW what the specifications are at the time of judging said aircraft's performance.

The F-135 engine is a perfect example of this. According to L-M literature it's a 40,000lbs engine (full afterburn). Yet before it's development has neared completion it has already demonstrated sustained thrust at 43,000lbs.

The F-136 has apparently demonstrated 52,000lbs of power to date and is even further behind in it's development than the F-135.

Doing your sums is all well and good but if the figures are wrong to start with, what does that say about ones conclusions?

Talk about basing arguments on a house of cards...
The point is mate that the thing wont be supermanuverable, it wont supercruise and it wont have a better wing loading than it was spesifically designed to have. That you can tell by looking at the damn things specifications and it aint gonna change no matter how much you want it to. the F135 may indeed be 10% more powerfull than expected, but it is still optimised for sub sonic cruise and wont change the game dramaticaly. That's the point my freind, its may be somewhat better than its design specifications but it wont somehow transform into a supermanuverable F22 eater during testing. I did say it may be somewhat better than its goals didnt I? No need to get defenceive about it.

Ozzy Blizzard

Jon Beezley was a test pilot on the F-22 program.

Given he is the LEAD test pilot on the F-35 program as well, I can't imagine a more authoritative source on these matters at present.

L-M manufacturers BOTH aircraft too I might add.
Thats my point...... He is an LM employee. Now i'm not saying that he's lying, not at all, i'm just saying IF the F35 wasnt performing aswell as intended he wouldnt be saying so in a press conference would he? That doesent mean you should disreguard what he's saying, but just take it with a smidgin of salt thats all. I notice you all take any statements made by the russians on their capabilities with a bucketload, how about a pinch for Beezley????

There is not 1 shred of evidence demonstrating that the F-35 is not meeting it's performance parameters (whatever they may be). There is OTOH, a significant body of evidence that whatever some people state the performance of the F-35 might be, the platform is currently proving them wrong and is showing a very great level of performance, greatly exceeding even " aerodynamically clean" F-16 chase planes, which is NO mean feat...
Well there isn't much evidence at all so the absance of evidence is hardly indicative of something is it? But anyway i'm not doubting that it is meeting its test objectives but dont take it as written in stone is all.

As RAAF seems destined to acquire it to the exclusion of anything else, I for one HOPE it continues to do so.
So do i mate, so do I. Nothing else that is currently available for purchase would suit our needs better. But since whenever one has something bad to say about the F35 then one must have Kopps view on the RAAF's future force structure let me make myself quite clear. I am fully supportive of the F35 purchase but IF the F22 does indeed become available for export we should IMO replace the F18F's with F22's, which wouldgive us a force structure on par with the USAF and more than capable of meeting any forseeable threat or situation.

Ozzy Blizzard

So back to the real discussion...

i've got a couple of questions reguarding the F35 for those of you out there in DT land, they are primarily dealing with the RAAF.

1) Is the F35 capable of carrying the Harpoon AShM internally? If not what will be the basis of the F35's marritime strike capability untill JSM becomes available if it ever does? JASSM seems to be a very expensive single option and it has to be carried externally.

2) Is there any chance of the MoD aquireing F35C's? Significantly better wing loading and a smidgin more range may be attractive? the RAAF does have a history of aquireing longer ranging USN variants of aircraft? Would this be feasable and would there be a major difference in cost given the timing of the aquisition???

3) Is their a case for the F35B??? If so should a small number, 10~12, be purchased for the fleet air arm to specifically operate of the Canberra class LHD's or should 24 or so be purchased to equip a full RAAF squadron? The F35B is less capable that A & C but allow tremendous basing flexibility??

So back to the real discussion...

i've got a couple of questions reguarding the F35 for those of you out there in DT land, they are primarily dealing with the RAAF.

1) Is the F35 capable of carrying the Harpoon AShM internally? If not what will be the basis of the F35's marritime strike capability untill JSM becomes available if it ever does? JASSM seems to be a very expensive single option and it has to be carried externally.
There is plan to integrate the Naval Strike Missile (Joint Strike Missile) with the JSF. The JSF will be able to carry 2 of them them in its internal bay.

Lockheed Martin Markets Kongsberg NSM Missile
http://www.defense-update.com/newscast/0207/news/010207_nsm.htm

Ozzy Blizzard

There is plan to integrate the Naval Strike Missile (Joint Strike Missile) with the JSF. The JSF will be able to carry 2 of them them in its internal bay.

Lockheed Martin Markets Kongsberg NSM Missile
http://www.defense-update.com/newscast/0207/news/010207_nsm.htm
The airdroped version will be called Joint Strike Missile (JSM) and should be available on block 4 lightnings. We're set to buy a few block 3's though. Just wondering what our marritime strike options are since thats pretty important for the RAAF.

nero

wing loading

what is the service-ceiling & wing-loading of the F-35 ???

also what is the stall-speed of the F-35 ??

just wondering what could be the maximum windshear that it can withstand ???

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Its You seem to think a fighter's raw performance is meaningless as you constantly dismiss any advantage any platform has in this reguard over the F35 including the F22.
Not at all. Just the high weighting giving to the apparent marginal kinematic and aerodynamic performance improvement of types like the Su-30 over the F-35 as part of an index of lethality. This kind of weighting has fuelled the constant statements by APA and their ilk that Australia will not have any ‘first class’ fighters whereas other countries equipped with Su-30s will have plenty.

The charts – which ‘Ozzy Blizzard’ has gleefully linked to – indicate huge shortfalls in Australia’s overall capability. As you now point out above this is total nonsense. The F-35s advantages in a whole range of other areas and operating as part of a total air combat force mean the Su-30’s better wing-loading or whatever count for naught in terms of lethality.

I know this is a personal thing for you. Its quite clear you hate Dr kopp with a passion. Thats fine your more than intitled to your opinion. But if your going to hijack every single thread were someone critisizes the F35 as an outlet to attack APA your going to make said discussions both boaring and untennable as they will end up in an argument and closed down.
Not at all. I’m simply treating this low level of argument with the scorn it deserves. Not hate – scorn… Its not a personal attack on APA and their ilk but on the argument they offer and ‘Ozzy Blizzard’ has promoted and supported at every opportunity on this forum.

And the test pilot is an employee of LM is he not? I have heard several defence professionals dismiss performance data on russian systems as unreliable and irrelevent as marketing data even though it was given by the russian companies who make the system envolved, but anything a lockheed martin employee says is gospell right?
The big difference here is civil society. We have it, the Russians don’t. This is why publicly listed companies like Lockheed Martin take so much time to make public statements – they are getting it proofed by lawyers and the like because if they are found to be misinforming customers they will get sued for it. Things don’t work that way in Russia or for that matter… wait for it… Air Power Australia!

Quite literally you can take a statement like this from Lockheed to the bank, from others… well I don’t make investments based on financial advice emanating from Nigeria or the propaganda department of Russian MoD.

This is exactly what i mean, see my response above, the USAF chief of staff clearly states what his priorities are for future aquisitions and you accuse me spreading propaganda??? mate your starting to sound silly!
Quite wrong. This is an annual statement made by the USAF CoS outlining their priorities to lobby Congress for funding. Things that do not have secure funding go to the top. Which is why after USAF secured the MYP for F-22 it went to the bottom. Plus these priorities are weighting in accordance with those projects that will need the most lobbying to get approval. A huge project like F-35 which is highly unlikely to get cancelled doesn’t need the same effort as a pie in the sky grab for more F-22s which has little political support. From last year’s statement:

“Tanker hits top of the charts for recapitalization priority

by Staff Sgt. C. Todd Lopez
Air Force Print News

10/13/2006 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- The Air Force's new No. 1 procurement priority is the KC-X tanker, replacing the F-22 Raptor.

"Our priorities for procurement are the following," said Chief of Staff of the Air Force Gen. T. Michael Moseley. "The KC-X, the new tanker, is No. 1. CSAR-X, the new combat rescue helicopter, is No. 2. Our space-based early warning and communications satellites are No 3. The F-35 (Lightning II) is No. 4. And the next generation long range strike bomber is No. 5."

During discussions with newspaper reporters here Oct. 12, General Moseley said the F-22 program has stabilized.

The Air Force recently secured multi-year procurement funding for the Raptor from Congress. That funding would affect Raptor purchases until about 2012. Now that the Air Force is secure in the number of Raptors it will purchase, and in the price it will pay for them, it has shifted its procurement priorities, the chief of staff said.”

F-35 is not just in SDD on funding, it is funded for production. The line has been started and it won’t close for a very long time. That is a huge difference between having the line open and not, as in SDD.

I for one are sick of this ridiculous interpretation of US politics provided by APA and their ilk which constantly supports the F-22 and its export no matter what the realities, and suggests the F-35 is on the verge of project cancellation. It has been proven wrong at every turn.

This is EXACTLY what i mean. I'm not sure if you are "accusing" me of being "Carlo" or you are directing your comments at Mr Kopp somewhere out there in DT world.
Hah haha… I’m just doing this for the benefit of our RAAF readers who are all seriously aggrieved at the way they have had their professional reputation dragged through the mud by you OB/CK (identicalness in language and IP addresses are a big giveaway old chum). Watching you scurry around under the barrage is worth it. Sure this may not be the most mature thing in the world but retribution rarely is. However in my defence I am providing the readers here at DT a range of new and valuable information and neutral and accurate analysis. If they want me to stop they can ban me.

For one thing its not just the Tu22, thats may be the apex platform but its the cruise/standoff missile threat in general that needs to be considered. You dont seem to be considereing it at all and just lableing any platform aquisitions or capability's of nations in the region as irrelevent, since its all APA propaganda and then point out the USAF's capabilities. Incase you didnt notice the RAAF is NOT an arm of the USAF.
Since when did I mention USAF? I mentioned JORN? 1RSU is not on the USAF orbat… Nor did I label the Tu-22 irrelevant, despite it not actually being an acquisition or capability held by a regional nation. I labelled the APA argument that the only way to defeat a Tu-22 is with a F-22 as irrelevant.

And the USN based their Fleet air defence arround the E2 and the F14. They may have had other responses but fleet air defence was based arround these platforms. I wonder how well they would have faired without them?
No they didn’t. Their fleet defence was based around an Aegis ship – which provided their entire defensive force a Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC). The E-2, F-14 and many other systems are just nodes in CEC. Plus this was a defence against an attack by at least several regiments of Tu-22s, or >100.

And the F35's systems are all geared arround the low level strike requirement, the EOTS, DAS and its LO are all designed arround the F35 being able to be lethal and survivable in a low level high threat envireonment.
More and more propaganda. Cling to the F-35 is the new F-105 ‘Thunderchief’ argument, its almost as bad as the F-35 is the new ‘Wirraway’ nonsense. Now I’ve had several discussions with the person who was the JSF program manager, when it was first established (JAST), ex Lt. Gen. George Muellner, USAF, who now works for Boeing so I guess that makes him compromised… Anyway the F-35 was NOT conceived as a CAS aircraft. From day one the requirement was for a multi-role fighter, including ATA. Because from day one the F-35 was designed to replace a range of aircraft that engage in multi-role missions including the F-16 and F/A-18.

LOL yeah the F22 is the project under threat, even though its in squadron service and the F35 is in the SDD phase. maybe congress will take away the F22 in service at the moment, shut down the production line give the project managers a good spanking because the F35 is such a better opotion for the whole USAF as there is noting the F22 can do that the F35 cant just as well:eek:nfloorl:.
Surely I don’t need to add a corresponding date stamp to every statement I make? Is the mantra that the F-22 is a “golden bullet plane” something new? Did it only emerge last week? No I am referring to when the mantra began which is almost 10 years ago and subsequently when the F-22 has had to jump through so many hoops and make so many deals to survive. Even then it was reduced from 700 to 190 for its production order.

If you compare program survival of the F-22 to the F-35 from conception to first production order then the F-35 has been far more robust and supported. One clear example is conception to production numbers. Which for the F-22 when from 700 to 190 and for the F-35 from 2800 to 2400. One emerged through this brutal process with only 30% of units intact the other over 80%.

Also throughout the F-22’s conception to production history there have been major politicians and even secretaries of defence publicly considering cancelling or trying to cancel the project. Who’s tried to cancel F-35 in the US Government?

What we have here is another textbook case of a basic level ‘information operations’ campaign conducted by a card-carrying member of the anti-F-35 intellectual cult. Facts are rare and the interpretations are loaded to bear. It may fool the kiddies but anyone here on DT interested in defence to a serious level should look deeper.

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The Harpoon could probably fit but there would be the cost of integrating the weapon system and proofing the drop and carry.

JSM is not the airdropped NSM. The NSM has an airdropped version for use by the RnoAF’s F-16s but production has yet to be funded – though production of ship launched NSM has received funding. JSM is part of the Norway-JSF deal in which Lockheed will provide marketing support to the planned Block II NSM, called the JSM. It isn’t a very popular deal within Lockheed, certainly amongst the JASSM people.

Australia has jointly funded with Norway a preliminary integration study for the NSM and the F-35A. The results were yes its possible. It’s now up to any number of partner countries to decided to go ahead with integrating NSM into the Block IV or later Block F-35A. Australia is considering this based on the cost, which will depend on who else is willing to pay for it. The same that we are also considering integrating ASRAAM into Block IV or later Block F-35A with the RAF (ASRAAM will only be integrated into the F-35B at the moment).

There are other options for ship attack from the F-35 including the JASSM with the data link and sea skimming mod and internal carriage of JSOW. Both these weapons will be integrated with the F-35A. A mix of both for differing maritime strike profiles – like JASSM for the high end sinking of enemy CVBGs and JSOW for FIACs – would be an excellent option.

2) Is there any chance of the MoD aquireing F35C's? Significantly better wing loading and a smidgin more range may be attractive? the RAAF does have a history of aquireing longer ranging USN variants of aircraft? Would this be feasable and would there be a major difference in cost given the timing of the aquisition???
The F-35C is a no chance unless we were to acquire a CTOL carrier or a ‘coalition carrier’ concept like the Germans are pushing. Defence has already done the cost-benefit analysis and it’s not worth it. Having additional F-35As compared to F-35C makes a lot more sense. Any enhanced range of the F-35C courtesy of the bigger wing is not really significant for actual mission profiles.

3) Is their a case for the F35B??? If so should a small number, 10~12, be purchased for the fleet air arm to specifically operate of the Canberra class LHD's or should 24 or so be purchased to equip a full RAAF squadron? The F35B is less capable that A & C but allow tremendous basing flexibility??
If you were to operate F-35Bs off the LHDs then there goes that LHD’s ability to carry the landing force. We have only purchased two LHDs and both are needed together to carry the basic 2,000 man landing and sustainment force. You would need to acquire additional LHDs to have a carrier capability unless you wanted to scrap the amphibious doctrine.

However F-35Bs could be an option for the RAAF to operate in a ‘coalition carrier’ concept with the USMC and RN.

riksavage

Banned Member
The F35B’s bring a great deal of flexibility to the table, once a beachhead is established and expeditionary forces begin to move inland, the F35B’s can be brought ashore to operate from austere runways, such as existing roads or cleared ground. They can be stored off-shore on a container ship ready to deploy. The only downside being you will not have CAP / CAS support during the landing. This is where, in a worst case scenario, you would have a DDG present to provide area defence for the task force. All the above assumptions are based on Aus operating without US/UK support in an operation similar in scope to Sierra Leone (strategic raiding).

Personally the advantages the F35B brings to the table for less capable nations (benchmarked against the US) such as the UK and Aus out way the disadvantages.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
If you were to operate F-35Bs off the LHDs then there goes that LHD’s ability to carry the landing force. We have only purchased two LHDs and both are needed together to carry the basic 2,000 man landing and sustainment force. You would need to acquire additional LHDs to have a carrier capability unless you wanted to scrap the amphibious doctrine.

However F-35Bs could be an option for the RAAF to operate in a ‘coalition carrier’ concept with the USMC and RN.
I don't disagree with what you are saying about the LHD's ability to deploy a 2000 man landing force being diminished if F-35Bs were to be embarked. However, there may be scenarios when a trade off of some troops and helos to embark a small number (4-6) F-35Bs would be beneficial. I can see considerable benefit in a 'joint' RAAF/RAN squadron that would be given a maritime support role and trained to operate from coalition assets, small airfields in forward areas or from the LHDs if circumstances require. In other words a squadron equipped and trained along the lines of a USMC unit.

For the same reason I would like to see the army get more armed recce helos but that is for another thread.

Cheers

AGRA

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
However, there may be scenarios when a trade off of some troops and helos to embark a small number (4-6) F-35Bs would be beneficial. I can see considerable benefit in a 'joint' RAAF/RAN squadron that would be given a maritime support role and trained to operate from coalition assets, small airfields in forward areas or from the LHDs if circumstances require. In other words a squadron equipped and trained along the lines of a USMC unit.
There are other weapons options to meet what 4-6 or up to 12 F-35Bs can bring to an amphibious landing or force projection operation.

For air defence SM6 combined with VTOL AEW can provide a much larger and over the horizon air defence shield. While not the same kind of air defence as a carrier remember we are only talking about a small force of F-35Bs that would only be able to maintain a CAP of two or so aircraft.

For CAP and interdiction strike ERGM and NTACMS combined with VTUAV and other ship based land attack options are viable. Such a force would actually be more effective as it would be much easier to maintain a 24/7 airborne sensor with rapid response., whereas the F-35Bs would struggle to maintain a CAS CAP, along with DCAP plus some strike and ISR missions.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
F-35 vs. Su-30 and other aircraft...

Having read through this thread with interest, I wish to interject this reminder regarding the F-35 Lightning II. The F-35 JSF program was intended to provide a common aircraft to replace a number of existing designs, covering a number of different roles. As a result of the desire for a multi-role aircraft, design compromises were made to achieve that result, a superior multi-role aircraft. Due to these compromises required to perform well in other roles, the performance of the F-35 in a strictly air-to-air role wouldn't be expected to equal that of the F-22A Raptor or the EF Typhoon. Does that mean the F-35 can't, or shouldn't be used in air-to-air combat? No, but it does mean that it isn't as good an air superiority fighter as something dedicated to that type of role. By extension, the F-35 doesn't have the range or available payload that a B-1 has, but again it doesn't mean that the F-35 can't or shouldn't be used in strike roles.

Where IMV the F-35 does (or will) excel is in providing a range of capabilities to the air force equipped with them, that would likely not be matched if that air force instead were equipped with aircraft dedicated to individual roles. This I believe would be a more expensive prospect in terms of operating expenses, as well as having a greater risk of losing capabilities through attrition and potential combat losses. By having multi-role aircraft, a more gradual decline in available forces for roles can happen. I.e. if there are 20 aircraft in an air force, 10 fights and 10 bombers/strike, if a bomber crashes or is shot down, then the bomber force just lost 10% it's strenght. If instead, is was 20 multi-role, a similar such loss would be 5% of the force.

As for the F-35 in an Australian context... I agree with Tas, in that there could be situations where the flexibility of having F-35B's would be an advantage. I definately would like to see things like ERGM, SM6, and heli-AEW, but I think since it isn't yet a question of one set of capabilities or the other, why not both?

-Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.