Canada's next Jet Fighter?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
My money would be on Super Hornets. When you look at the capability offered, the global fleet size, the through-life development potential and support (considering its a frontline aircraft with the US Navy) and the prices being thrown around with current Super Hornet sales, it seems like a very solid option. I don't know Canada's requirements, though - and I'm sure the various European companies would love to get their feet in the door.
Given that Canada currently operates the Hornet variants, if the F-35 programme were to collapse IMO the F/A-18E/F SHornet would be the most likely replacement for the Hornet.

If the F-35 programme does collapse, Canada would likely find itself scrambling (no pun intended) for a replacement fighter. The current Hornets AFAIK are approaching their expected airframe lives, and given the difficulties that Canada (and Australia) has experienced doing CBR, that does not seem to be a viable option to get a few more years out of the current Hornets. This means that if/when the decision is made to pull the plug on the F-35, Canada is likely only going to have a few more viable years of service from the Hornets. Given the amount of time it can take for production to ramp up, as well as the training and certification/qualification to reach IOC with any replacement fighter, then the SHornet seems like the best bet. It is currently in production for the USN, if there is enough demand, Boeing might (emphasis MIGHT) be able to increase production to a degree. Perhaps more importantly, the SHornet is broadly similar to the 'classic' Hornets currently in Canadian service, which would likely allow shorter coversion training cycles and faster qualification. This means that once SHornets are in Canadian colours, they would likely be able to reach IOC faster than completely different aircraft like the Typhoon, Gripen or Rafale. I do not really see either an F-15 or F-16 variant being viable candidates for a future or even interim Canadian multi-role fighter.

-Cheers

Murray B

We did, it's call Avro Arrow. But the government killed it under US pressure plus the Conservative hate technology. This is why we can't have nice thing in Canada :(
Actually the government "killed" the Arrow program because the Canadian Chiefs of staff recommended it. On August 28th, 1958 Cabinet was told, “Finally, the cost of the CF-105 programme as a whole was now of such a magnitude that the Chiefs of Staff felt that, to meet the modest requirement of manned aircraft presently considered advisable, it would be more economical to procure a fully developed interceptor of comparable performance in the U.S.”

Reliable records show that the Chiefs of Staff recommended cancelling the Arow for performance and economic reasons. The estimated maximum ferry range of an Arrow 2 was only 1254 nm and they needed something that could make it to Iceland which was 1312 nm away. The Voodoos had more than 1900 nm ferry range and were nearly as fast at mach 1.8 as the Arrow’s mach 1.9 (thermal limit). The Arrows were much more expensive than the competition and cost nearly $10 million each compared to about $2 million for a Voodoo or $3.75 million for a Delta Dart. It was sensible to by Voodoos instead of Arrows.

The military did their duty and gave good advice to the government. There is nothing to suggest that they committed treason by conspiring with the Americans to kill the program.

Why do so many of my fellow Canadians obsess with an aircraft that was owned by a subsidiary of U.K. based Hawker-Siddeley? The Arrow is about as Canadian as a Ford or Chev is.

Isn’t it about time that the world was allowed to forget about this giant flying white elephant?

Last edited:

mike1560

Stephen Harper and the DND are committed to the JSF. With already about 150 mil
inversted, I can't see that this will change for any other aircraft. The JSF is a 5th generation aircraft and most NATO countries will be flying it. The JSF is the future in tech. and will be for many years to come.

Lander

I believe Canada would be best off canceling the F-35 and order F/A-18E/F Block III Super Hornets seeing how Canada is already using the CF-18 effectively.

The second best alternative would have been to cancel the order of F-35's and go for the Gripen NG instead. The cost-effective alternative that will deliver a fighter aircraft that's [much] cheaper to fly aswell, operate and in initial procurement costs. The Gripen NG is a jet with larger combat radius aswell as larger maximum range than the F-35, with the ability to supercruise at Mach 1.2+ and that has much better maneuverability than the F-35.

The Gripen NG offers phenomenal BVR-capabilites as it has very low RCS- and IR-signatures [arguably not very far behind the F-35], an outstanding AESA radar, a powerful IRST system, an extraordinary electronic warfare suite and the latest long-medium-short-range high-kill probability missiles [Meteor & IRIS-T].

Thanks to a modern and hi-tech HMD, the use of modern IR-missiles, electronic warfare systems and superb maneuverability, it will perform just as well in WVR-combat.

I'm sure that Saab would be able to give Canada a very good deal for a very good price within a very short period of time. Canada, would also most probably get the same kind of deal as Brazil or India, being in charge of more than 70% of the manufacturing/production and get hundreds of thousands of job opportunities in Canada, aswell as being in charge of all other Gripen sales within North America.

And regarding the somewhat frantic economy aswell as the escalating NATO costs, a cheaper fighter jet is more preferable for the Canadian Air Force seeing as you get almost 2 Gripen NG fighter jets per F-35.

Comrade69

Banned Member
ok this is somewhat a noob post

but why doesnt NATO allow its nations to buy from Russia? Their not hostile to each other..so why?

Reason I say this is in the first post I saw something about cold weather planes...what county in the world can make better cold air planes then the coldest country on earth.....

The SU-35 would be perfect for them. Very good 4.5 gen fighter.

I honestly dont think they need the f-35...what do they need a 5th gen stealth fighter for? Canada is a peaceful neutral country that really doesn't have conflict with anyobdy

moahunter

Banned Member
I honestly dont think they need the f-35...what do they need a 5th gen stealth fighter for? Canada is a peaceful neutral country that really doesn't have conflict with anyobdy
I don't know where you get that from, Canada is currently flying CF18's in Libya. The main reason for participation in the program though, is the enormous economic benefits for Canadian industry, in being able to supply components not just for the Canadian F35's, but also all of the US aircraft. It is as much a political / economic decision, as it is a military one. And, at the end of the day, it just makes sense for Canada to have systems that integrate easily with NATO, and its southern neighbor.

Comrade69

Banned Member
I don't know where you get that from, Canada is currently flying CF18's in Libya. The main reason for participation in the program though, is the enormous economic benefits for Canadian industry, in being able to supply components not just for the Canadian F35's, but also all of the US aircraft. It is as much a political / economic decision, as it is a military one. And, at the end of the day, it just makes sense for Canada to have systems that integrate easily with NATO, and its southern neighbor.
uhh no...

thats just NATO dragging their nations into their conflict

Canada has no conflict with anyone their just a good nation to carry out their orders but if it was up to them they would not be flying over Libya

and i guess for economic reasons i can see why their in the JSF program..

still say they dont need f-35's

if they just wanted to upgrade their air force they should of just bought a bunch of f-15E strike eagle...or the "CF-15".....

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
if they just wanted to upgrade their air force they should of just bought a bunch of f-15E strike eagle...or the "CF-15".....
Yet oddly in contrast to your opinion when the RF-15 (later renamed the F-15E) was offered to Canada 30 years ago they chose the F/A-18 instead...

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

but why doesnt NATO allow its nations to buy from Russia? Their not hostile to each other..so why?

Reason I say this is in the first post I saw something about cold weather planes...what county in the world can make better cold air planes then the coldest country on earth.....

Its not so much about buying from Russia, but russian stability.
For years no one bought from them even after the collapse as the governement holds such control that if it requires parts more urgently then another client, it gets priority. So any russian aircraft would have supply issues, more then policitcal.
Buying JSF means a easy access parts supplier, if it needs a componet urgently the factory is a short hop across the border.
If Canada is looking at JSF then it means they have plenty of time to continue use of the CF-18. Theres still some time to utilise these aircraft, and they could always go down the path the Australian Air Force went and buy an interim amount if the delays continue. This was to replace the capabilities lost in the retirement of the F-111 and the delay of the JSF, ensuring a strong air force in readyness for the JSF.
You dont have to cancel an entire program if all you need is 24 aircraft to maintain any gaps.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
uhh no...

thats just NATO dragging their nations into their conflict
uuh yes

canada is a soverign state, she can elect to participate in the afghan conflict at any level - or not that she chooses. have a look at how many other NATO members that aren't contributing....,

Canada has no conflict with anyone their just a good nation to carry out their orders but if it was up to them they would not be flying over Libya
of course, thats why as a sovereign state the govt elected to contribute armed force to afghanistan - CREF above

and i guess for economic reasons i can see why their in the JSF program..
well, I guess you'd have to argue that case with canadian industry who obviously do see economic and financial benefit

still say they dont need f-35's

they didn't want CF-15's, thats why they chose Hornets

of course the centre barrel replacement and upgrade program is a whole lot more cost effective than any new interim fighter - but I guess you knew that anyway......

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I believe Canada would be best off canceling the F-35 and order F/A-18E/F Block III Super Hornets seeing how Canada is already using the CF-18 effectively.

The second best alternative would have been to cancel the order of F-35's and go for the Gripen NG instead. The cost-effective alternative that will deliver a fighter aircraft that's [much] cheaper to fly aswell, operate and in initial procurement costs. The Gripen NG is a jet with larger combat radius aswell as larger maximum range than the F-35, with the ability to supercruise at Mach 1.2+ and that has much better maneuverability than the F-35.

The Gripen NG offers phenomenal BVR-capabilites as it has very low RCS- and IR-signatures [arguably not very far behind the F-35], an outstanding AESA radar, a powerful IRST system, an extraordinary electronic warfare suite and the latest long-medium-short-range high-kill probability missiles [Meteor & IRIS-T].

Thanks to a modern and hi-tech HMD, the use of modern IR-missiles, electronic warfare systems and superb maneuverability, it will perform just as well in WVR-combat.

I'm sure that Saab would be able to give Canada a very good deal for a very good price within a very short period of time. Canada, would also most probably get the same kind of deal as Brazil or India, being in charge of more than 70% of the manufacturing/production and get hundreds of thousands of job opportunities in Canada, aswell as being in charge of all other Gripen sales within North America.

And regarding the somewhat frantic economy aswell as the escalating NATO costs, a cheaper fighter jet is more preferable for the Canadian Air Force seeing as you get almost 2 Gripen NG fighter jets per F-35.
A few points to consider. The F/A-18 E/F SHornet is an entirely new, though very similar aircraft to the CF-18 A/B Hornets in Canadian service currently. While the aircraft is very advanced, it is not currently at the leading edge of capabilities at present, and as time progresses and newer designs enter service (F-35, PAK-FA, J-20 et. al.) it will be less and less capable against potentially hostile aircraft. The farther into the future one plans, the less relevant the SHornet will be. If Canada had placed an order for SHornets when they first entered service ~2001, then service until ~2025 - 2030 would be reasonable. If Canada were to order SHornets now, they most likely would not begin to enter Canadian service until 2016 at the earliest, and IMO 2018 - 2020+ is a somewhat more likely timeframe. Assuming a 25-30 year service life, that would 'see' Canadian SHornets serving until 2043+, which IMO would not be reasonable based upon the likely limations the system places upon the platform.

As for a Canadian order of Gripen NG's... These are IMO still 'paper' airplanes. There has been much talk here on DT and elsewhere about the Gripen NG, but when one gets down and seriously examines the claims in terms of capabilities, costs and development risks, then things stop adding up. One of the key issues here is that the Gripen NG does not yet exist as an actual aircraft. There has been a Gripen C or D which has been modified somewhat to serve as a sort of prototype for some Gripen NG systems, it is not the same as actually having a Gripen NG prototype to do testing on, nevermind actually have SDD completed and be ready to commence production.

Significant use of OTS can help reduce programme risk, but also limits just how advanced a design could be. By planning on having the Gripen NG have a very similar aircraft layout as earlier Gripen, it does put some constraints on just how much RCS and Sig reduction can be achieved, nevermind what level of materials science the Swedes have which is relevant to LO projects. IMO it would be more reasonable to compare the potential Gripen NG RCS and Sig to that of the Sig-managed F/A-18 E/F SHornet, not the LO F-35.

In short, since there is no clear idea on development costs, capabilities or potential numbers ordered, or even if/when the Gripen NG will be ready to commence LRIP, IMO it is foolish to claim that costs will be "seeing as you get almost 2 Gripen NG fighter jets per F-35". And Canada would also run into the issue of no longer being able to utilize US warstocks like Canada can currently do for the legacy Hornets.

Oh boy, this needs a bit of correction here.

Canada is not a 'neutral' nation, and never has been. Canada has been a member of NATO since it was founded, and prior to that military alliance, was part of the Allied and British Imperial forces since Canada was founded as a nation. Therefore, anything which NATO is involved in, or could be drawn into, has the potential to involve Canada and Canada has to plan accordingly.

As for NATO 'not allowing' members to purchase from Russia, that is not true. Greece for example has purchased S-300 SAM systems as well as BMP IFV's IIRC. In terms of large scale or advanced systems like ships, submarines and aircraft (fighter/strike and surveillance aircraft specifically) NATO members just typically are not interested.

Take the example of the Su-35 suggested as an alternate candidate for the next Canadian fighter aircraft. Without significant changes or additions to the onboard avionics, an Su-35 flying in Canadian service would not be able to interact with aircraft and systems belonging to Canada's NATO allies. All those E-2 and E-3 AEW aircraft would not be able to provide target data, early warning, or any of the other systemic advantages which NATO members have spent so much time and effort developing.

Next, Canada would have to choose whether to stock Russian-made munitions for the Su-35, or make the effort and spend the funds to enable the Su-35 to deploy munitions made to NATO standards and could enable Canada to use a NATO ally's warstock if need be.

It is also worth noting that Russian (and Soviet before them) aircraft have a different design, construction and maintenance doctrine than that used by most Western nations. While an Su-35 would likely have a lower initial cost to purchase and begin operations, Russian aircraft typically have a higher operational and logistical cost. That logistical cost in particular would count against the Su-35 in Canadian service, because Canada would most likely need to source many of the Su-35 parts from Russia, which in a time of conflict might not be available, particularly if the Russian position does not agree with the Canadian position. Continuing with the potential issue a higher logistical cost could have, since the design is different (and a different doctrine) then much of the resources which Canada could potentially draw upon from an ally during a conflict would be unavailable, since the NATO allies operate completely different equipment.

For the last bit, as gets brought up here at DT repeatedly, the issue is the system, not the platform. With the system which Canada is integrated with, adoption of the Su-35 would either require that Canada change the whole system, or complete significant work adapting the Su-35 to integrate it into the system Canada uses.

-Cheers

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
So your saying Canada has no problem with Gaddafi commiting genocide in Lybia?

If Canada wasn't interested in F-35 then the Superhornet would be the go. Australia is a textbook example of how quick it can be. Then Canada would also have options including returning frames to the USN, or fitting for growler capability. Its a win win situation.

mike1560

If Canada wasn't interested in F-35 then the Superhornet would be the go. Australia is a textbook example of how quick it can be. Then Canada would also have options including returning frames to the USN, or fitting for growler capability. Its a win win situation.
Canada is not neglecting the war in lybia, and what does it have to do with Canada's
next fighter?. As with Australia, it was either the F18 sh or F-35. Some have asked about the F-15,but it will be decommisioned by 2025 in the USAF.

Lander

A few points to consider. The F/A-18 E/F SHornet is an entirely new, though very similar aircraft to the CF-18 A/B Hornets in Canadian service currently. While the aircraft is very advanced, it is not currently at the leading edge of capabilities at present, and as time progresses and newer designs enter service (F-35, PAK-FA, J-20 et. al.) it will be less and less capable against potentially hostile aircraft. The farther into the future one plans, the less relevant the SHornet will be. If Canada had placed an order for SHornets when they first entered service ~2001, then service until ~2025 - 2030 would be reasonable. If Canada were to order SHornets now, they most likely would not begin to enter Canadian service until 2016 at the earliest, and IMO 2018 - 2020+ is a somewhat more likely timeframe. Assuming a 25-30 year service life, that would 'see' Canadian SHornets serving until 2043+, which IMO would not be reasonable based upon the likely limations the system places upon the platform.
I share your worry regarding the possible future limitations of the F/A-18. The F/A-18 derives from the YF-17 which in its turn is just as old as the YF-16. So the whole concept of the F/A-18 series is at the brink of becoming too old. But on the other hand, the US. Navy plans to exceed it's usage of Super Hornets well beyond 2025, especially with more delayments of the F-35. The Block III Super Hornets however carry very advanced systems which isn't too far away from the F-35 according to some test pilots.

As for a Canadian order of Gripen NG's... These are IMO still 'paper' airplanes. There has been much talk here on DT and elsewhere about the Gripen NG, but when one gets down and seriously examines the claims in terms of capabilities, costs and development risks, then things stop adding up. One of the key issues here is that the Gripen NG does not yet exist as an actual aircraft. There has been a Gripen C or D which has been modified somewhat to serve as a sort of prototype for some Gripen NG systems, it is not the same as actually having a Gripen NG prototype to do testing on, nevermind actually have SDD completed and be ready to commence production.
I'd on the other hand say the Gripen NG is far away from being just a sketch on the drawing board or even just a prototype. The Demo aircraft is an entirely new derivative of the Gripen and is not just some hot-rod Delta version. It has the new F414G engine, it has a larger internal fuel tank (40% larger compared to the previous models), more hardpoints, new [wider] landing gear, an AESA radar, a new 360° MAW (missile approach warner)-system, IR/RCS-reduction through airframe modifications and much much more. Saab has already completed several hundreds of hours on the demo aircraft, tested all the electronic systems in advanced simulators and is planning to integrate all new accessories on a new JAS 39 Gripen Echo version for the Swedish Air Force before the end of this year.

Significant use of OTS can help reduce programme risk, but also limits just how advanced a design could be. By planning on having the Gripen NG have a very similar aircraft layout as earlier Gripen, it does put some constraints on just how much RCS and Sig reduction can be achieved, nevermind what level of materials science the Swedes have which is relevant to LO projects. IMO it would be more reasonable to compare the potential Gripen NG RCS and Sig to that of the Sig-managed F/A-18 E/F SHornet, not the LO F-35.
The Gripen Alfa/Bravo had very high demands of both small RCS aswell as IR signatures in order to be able to face a numerically superior enemy in the form of Su-27's and MiG-29's. The RCS of a Alfa-Gripen [carrying sidewinders] is about 1 square decimeter [~1/3 of a square foot] and it arguably has the lowest IR signature of any 4-4.5 generation fighter jet. FMV [The Swedish Defence Materiel Administration] has also requested studies over at Saab for stealthier intakes on the Gripen to reduce its RCS even further.

So if you look at the Gripen, you've got several 5th generation aspects apart from one, and that is being a "true" stealth fighter [primarily due to the lack of internal bays]. Yet, the Gripen has a very versatile and broad stealth spectrum.

In short, since there is no clear idea on development costs, capabilities or potential numbers ordered, or even if/when the Gripen NG will be ready to commence LRIP, IMO it is foolish to claim that costs will be "seeing as you get almost 2 Gripen NG fighter jets per F-35". And Canada would also run into the issue of no longer being able to utilize US warstocks like Canada can currently do for the legacy Hornets.
Fact is though, Saab has delivered their products on time, on budget and delivered more than asked for. Saab has so far been very precise about their production and above all, costs for their production. Since Saab knows they won't have the same kind of political back-up like the American, Russian and other European fighter jets, they've put a lot of effort into very profitable, rich and well-planned industrial off-sets aswell as packages that nations could be offered. Every package tailor made for just that nations needs. So do not fear that the Gripen NG would exceed costs or get delayed. Saab has this extraordinary way of creating very much out of very little. Unfortunately, it seems as if Lockheed Martin tends to swing the other way. An aircraft [our beloved F-35] meant to be a cheap and effective replacement in 3 different versions for all of the worlds F-16's, F/A-18's & AV-8's (no, I won't mention the A-10), sharing more than 70% of all the spare parts & logistics. Not only did they get massive funding from the states, but also several billions of dollars from partnership countries. Yet, somehow they've managed to get the product delayed by several years, it's way over budget and is still struggling with childhood diseases. And it's really amazing how Saab, which is completely alone in this matter, is able to keep up with the big boys. Not even Sweden (well, atleast not the left parties) supports the Gripen evolution.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Canada is not neglecting the war in lybia, and what does it have to do with Canada's
next fighter?. As with Australia, it was either the F18 sh or F-35. Some have asked about the F-15,but it will be decommisioned by 2025 in the USAF.
One of the prior posters had made a comment which seemed to imply that Canada is a 'neutral' nation which does not get involved in combat operations, and therefore could not potentially require an aircraft as advanced as the F-35 is intended to be for future operations.

To highlight this incorrect perspective StingrayOZ was basically pointing out Canada's involvement in/over Libya.

-Cheers

Kirkzzy

This thread is a bit fruitless. We all know that it is F-35 (with last election being the decider on if the F-35 should be bought or not depending on what government was elected, then i'd say no doubt F-35), if the F-35 runs into further delays then it will most likely be Super Hornet being the most likely/one of the only alternatives. Like what else is there besides F-35 (the first choice), Super Hornet (most likely second choice)?
F-15E?
F-15SE?

I doubt it would come to that.

OpinionNoted

Banned Member
This thread is a bit fruitless. We all know that it is F-35 (with last election being the decider on if the F-35 should be bought or not depending on what government was elected, then i'd say no doubt F-35), if the F-35 runs into further delays then it will most likely be Super Hornet being the most likely/one of the only alternatives. Like what else is there besides F-35 (the first choice), Super Hornet (most likely second choice)?
F-15E?
F-15SE?

I doubt it would come to that.
I have my money on shornet over F35 on account of the completely up the creek us debt.The soon to be realized slashing of the us defence budget means it will soon be keeping a little fella by the name of mr dodo company up in bird heaven.:pope

Last edited:

StevoJH

The Bunker Group

F-18E/F may or may not be a quick option. The RAAF only got them so quickly because the USN gave up some of their own production slots. Depending how tight their own aircraft procurement/retirement situation is, they may not be able to repeat that.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
F-18E/F may or may not be a quick option. The RAAF only got them so quickly because the USN gave up some of their own production slots. Depending how tight their own aircraft procurement/retirement situation is, they may not be able to repeat that.
If the F-35 saw another round of significant development delays which pushed deliveries another few years further forward.

Then countries like Australia, Canada and other nations wanting to to purchase the F-35, would have to seriously look at an interim purchase, the question might be, is Boeing be able to ramp up production rates to cater for that demand?

Is Boeing and its suppliers able to meet that demand if it happens? I assume that it would be something that Boeing might already have contingency plans for.

Last edited: