Canada's next Jet Fighter?

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
@thetoad45, welcome to DT and it would help if you learn to use paragraphs - rather than writing in a single text block.

Further, as a new member, links to the sources for your claims would help your standing amongst other forum members.

The internal payload seems to be quite small.
Please name a current strike fighter available for sale to Canada with an internal payload. :D

The LM people say the internal weapons bay will be modified to hold 6 BVR missiles but as yet I don't believe the mods are in effect.

As far as I know it still holds only two in it's current state. (Maybe four)
It's under development and these incremental capabilities for the F-35 are developed in blocks. So what is your point? BTW, SpudmanWP does a really go job of tracking the changes. So ask him. If you don't know, either just search for the answer or ask a question - rather than present speculative information that is misleading.

When one talks about putting 18,000 pounds of weapons onto this aircraft it means the wing pylons will be used and then all stealth goes right out the window.
Day 1 LO mission... There are also other missions where LO is not needed. Therefore in context, this is a benefit.

Boeing has told Canada that they will lock in the price for new F18SH at $50 million with some perks. I don't know what the cost of F15 aircraft are.
F-15s costs quite a bit more - that's all you need to know. Pricing is a complex issue due to options like targeting pods, EW suites and it is also tied to year and lot of production.

I look at recent sales of aircraft worldwide and I still see nations located in fairly critical areas of the world buying the new model F15.
Last two nations who bought Strike Eagles - S. Korea and Singapore. For Singapore, the 24x F-15SG on order has replaced the last operational A-4SU squadron. Fyi, the TA-4SUs and some A-4SUs are still in use by Singapore's air force for advanced jet training.

They must feel they are getting the best aircraft for the money that will address their threat levels. If we review the overall benefits of the F35 we see that it is not a dedicated air superiority fighter.
The F-15K and the F-15SG are two seater strike fighters with a secondary maritime strike role. Kindly note that Singapore's and Korea's F-15s are also not used as dedicated air superiority fighters, which means your point... has some problems.

Last edited:

SpudmanWP

The Bunker Group
As far as the range of the JSF I have seen it listed with a combat radius of 400+ miles for the air force version and 600 miles for the naval version.
The CTOL (F-35A) KPPs have always been 590nm (nautical miles). That is 1093km and 679 Imperial (standard) miles. The F-35 is currently exceeding it's KPP goals. The CTOL is at 625nm (1158km or 719 Imp miles). The CV is the one at 642nm. See the first attachment for a slide from 2007 where they actually put in the real numbers, not just the KPP goal.

18,000 pound payload seems a bit much for this aircraft. Where were these stats from? The internal payload seems to be quite small. The LM people say the internal weapons bay will be modified to hold 6 BVR missiles but as yet I don't believe the mods are in effect. As far as I know it still holds only two in it's current state. (Maybe four)
See attachment #2. It shows the per station and total weapons load for all three F-35 versions. Note that the internal (#4&8) A/S stations are also cleared for A/A.

For the planned internal 6xAAM (3 per bay) schedule, see attachment #3. It is part of the planned Block 5 upgrades scheduled for ~2018.

When one talks about putting 18,000 pounds of weapons onto this aircraft it means the wing pylons will be used and then all stealth goes right out the window. It becomes as visable as any other aircraft.
The 18k load option shows the versatility of the F-35. As has been stated before, the F-35 does not have to go external till all the S2A threats are dealt with. It can still carry 4000lbs of internal JDAMs or up to 8 SDBs internally. The future option of carrying an external VLO ordnance pod is currently being developed that will allow the external carriage of weapons without loosing the benefits of the stealth airframe.

Boeing has told Canada that they will lock in the price for new F18SH at $50 million with some perks.
Source?? The US Gov just paid Flyaway $64,993,784 for 22 in a single year. What year did Boeing quote that price and in what year dollars?

If we review the overall benefits of the F35 we see that it is not a dedicated air superiority fighter. I have doubts that it is any better than the current F15 models in a dogfight. It's frontal stealth is only effective if the weapons load is kept small otherwise it is just another conventional aircraft.
Do you realize nobody is building dedicated air superiority fighters anymore? Even the PAK FA prototype shows that it's RCS reduction was focused in the forward sector.

Do you realize that all the recent F-15 sales are for the E model (or it's decedents), not the C. Any F-15 (even with a HMD) would have to get the F-35 into it's forward sector to launch a missile. The F-35 can launch anywhere in a 360 sphere around the F-35. Besides, you conveniently ignore the entire BVR engagement in order to get to WVR.

So you think an internal 4xAAM (6 after 2018) is a small load?

I say take one to Canada and let LM put their money where their mouth is and fly this wonder plane along side some competition and let the buffalo chips fall where they may.... Toodles:D
That will happen, probably at a future Northern Edge due to the better analytical electronics at the Alaskan range.

thetoad45

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I look at the published specs on the F18 E/F models listed on the Boeing, Rayethon and General Dynamics websites I think I get a pretty clear picture about the aircraft and what it can do. It lists at a 2009 flyaway price of $54.7 million and Boeing has offered it for a fixed price of $50 million. Nice of them...I am sorry about not posting links but I figured from the postings that most of you sound like you know this info by heart. ;) I'm new at this. Sorry about posting in block form but I am limited on time and tend to hurry. I will try to do better in the future. :)

The statement that the internal weapons bay won't be needed after the first day of combat is nonsense. Sure it is plausable when one fights a second rate army and uncommited air force like Iraq. But times are changing. The current crop of surface to air missiles (S-300 I believe is the name or SA-20 under NATO) that are due to be delivered to Iran is making the Isreali colons constrict very tightly. These super modern missile systems will put Irans nuclear sites totally out of reach from any Isreali weapons/aircraft. There are more than a few nations (some are members of NATO, I think Norway is one of them.) that have publicly stated that they now have radars that can beat the current "stealth" technology. The Russians have stated that their new crop of fighters can detect and beat current stealth. Is this true? I don't know, but it is posted online and in print worldwide. If this is true, then what does the future hold 20-30 years from now as surface to air and air to air weapons improves against stealth? I just don't see aircraft stealth improving all that much in that future time frame.

Getting back to the F18 E/F. (See, new paragraph:D) When I review the features on this aircraft I find little fault with it. The APG-79 radar is a huge upgrade over the older APG-73. It can carry 17,750 pounds of stores. The combat range (battlefleet.com) is 1275 nm clean with two AIM-9s. It uses F414-GE-400 engines which are excellent. It has a total of 11 weapons stations with the ability to carry more munitions than I care to list, and can operate as an airborne tanker. There is a total of 17 cubic feet of "growing space" for future electronic systems so it can be upgraded for decades. And it has a newish lightweight M61A2 20mm gattling gun. While not a "stealth" fighter it has a lower frontal radar signature than most advanced combat aircraft. If Canada decides to ever buy a new electronic warfare system the EA/18G ia available for $73 million and utilizes 90% of common parts with the E&F models. What's not to like?

I will agree that it is not an F22, nor an F35. I will agree that it is affordable and meets the current and future needs of Canada. If I remember it correctly the Ottawacitizen.com posted that Canada would have to commit to spend billions over the next 45 years into the JSF program to help fund upgrades. Yikes! That is going to hurt..... :lam

Kilo 2-3

The statement that the internal weapons bay won't be needed after the first day of combat is nonsense. Sure it is plausable when one fights a second rate army and uncommited air force like Iraq. But times are changing. The current crop of surface to air missiles (S-300 I believe is the name or SA-20 under NATO) that are due to be delivered to Iran is making the Isreali colons constrict very tightly. These super modern missile systems will put Irans nuclear sites totally out of reach from any Isreali weapons/aircraft. There are more than a few nations (some are members of NATO, I think Norway is one of them.) that have publicly stated that they now have radars that can beat the current "stealth" technology. The Russians have stated that their new crop of fighters can detect and beat current stealth. Is this true? I don't know, but it is posted online and in print worldwide. If this is true, then what does the future hold 20-30 years from now as surface to air and air to air weapons improves against stealth? I just don't see aircraft stealth improving all that much in that future time frame.
Well...

Right now modern LO is way ahead of the current radar "countermeasures." The Swedish system worked but it was of limited tactical value and the others require massive vetting/processing of all contacts, have deployment issues, etc.

I wouldn't read too much into the Russian claims, it's very likely saber rattling and posturing.

And the Israelis are very tactically creative, they'll find a way to counter the S-300. Granted, they'll probably take losses, but they will find a way to reduce the advanatge it offers. (Refer to the Israeli experience with and response to the SA-6 uring the Yom Kippur War).

Plus, they might be in the market for F-35s...

Getting back to the F18 E/F. When I review the features on this aircraft I find little fault with it. The APG-79 radar is a huge upgrade over the older APG-73. It can carry 17,750 pounds of stores. The combat range (battlefleet.com) is 1275 nm clean with two AIM-9s. It uses F414-GE-400 engines which are excellent. It has a total of 11 weapons stations with the ability to carry more munitions than I care to list, and can operate as an airborne tanker. There is a total of 17 cubic feet of "growing space" for future electronic systems so it can be upgraded for decades. And it has a newish lightweight M61A2 20mm gattling gun. While not a "stealth" fighter it has a lower frontal radar signature than most advanced combat aircraft. If Canada decides to ever buy a new electronic warfare system the EA/18G ia available for $73 million and utilizes 90% of common parts with the E&F models. What's not to like?
Well for starters you aren't going to fly an intercept mission or any other kind of mission with only two Sidewidners. I occasionally go down to MCAS Miramar to watch the Hornets land. Most of the aircraft coming in have two Sidewinders, plus one or two mid-range range missiles. Even in peacetime, they're carrying more than two warshots.

I will agree that it is not an F22, nor an F35. I will agree that it is affordable and meets the current and future needs of Canada. If I remember it correctly the Ottawacitizen.com posted that Canada would have to commit to spend billions over the next 45 years into the JSF program to help fund upgrades. Yikes! That is going to hurt.....
While you do have a legitimate point that it is going to cost a fair amount of money to continually upgrade the F-35, it is important to consider that the CAF is going to have to upgrade the F/A-18E/F as well...and those upgrades would cost money too...

It's about whole capability. While the sticker prices may be different and one may have a "better" price than the other, but there's something you have to also consider the other, hidden costs down the road.

The F-35 is a newer aircraft, that means it will reach obsolesence at a slower rate than the older F/A-18. In this aspect, the F-35 is a better investment for Canada's future.

There's also the survivability issue.

If you buy Super Hornets and then you start having airframe losses in combat because the Super Bug can't operate safely in contested airspace, then you've just poured several million down the drain. In the F-35 you're not juts buying the airplane, you're buying an increased chance that it won't get shot down or detected in the first place.

The F-35 is also vastly more capable than a Super Hornet on a one-for-one basis. A few F-35s can do the job of a far larger group of Super Hornets simply because the JSF taren't going to demand the same amount of SEAD and jamming the F/A-18s are going to require.

This means that you can effectively make a smaller F-35 buy and get roughly the same capability as you would with a comparable number of Super Hornets. (I do say "roughly" because there's something to be said for having a larger number of airframes to compensate for aircraft down for maintainance and to allow for more geographical area to be covered. "Even a Spitfire can't be in two places at once").

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The statement that the internal weapons bay won't be needed after the first day of combat is nonsense. Sure it is plausable when one fights a second rate army and uncommited air force like Iraq. But times are changing. The current crop of surface to air missiles (S-300 I believe is the name or SA-20 under NATO) that are due to be delivered to Iran is making the Isreali colons constrict very tightly.
Because Iran is the main enemy that Canada needs to worry about...

These super modern missile systems will put Irans nuclear sites totally out of reach from any Isreali weapons/aircraft.
Super modern eh? Like introduced back in 1978 super modern? Even the upgraded PMU1 that Iran is supposed to get dates back to the 90s. And has yet to be delivered. Which means FOC can be reasonably assumed in the 2011 timeframe, if deliveries are made this year. The variant will be over a decade old. The system itself will be over 30 years old. ;)

As for range, the engagement range of the S-300PMU under optimal conditions is ~150km. It'd be nice if someone could check that against the stand-off range of Israeli munitions. There is also jamming to consider. ;)

There are more than a few nations (some are members of NATO, I think Norway is one of them.) that have publicly stated that they now have radars that can beat the current "stealth" technology. The Russians have stated that their new crop of fighters can detect and beat current stealth. Is this true? I don't know, but it is posted online and in print worldwide.
So what? Stealth isn't a static concept. So the statements may be true, in regards to the F-117 or even B-2. Are they true for the F-22? The F-35? Who knows? ;)

If this is true, then what does the future hold 20-30 years from now as surface to air and air to air weapons improves against stealth? I just don't see aircraft stealth improving all that much in that future time frame.
And why is that? They've improved considerably in the last 20-30 years. Why would that stop now?

EDIT: In short the F-35 will put the Canadian airforce in a league that no third world countries (Iran for example) can hope to reach.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I look at the published specs on the F18 E/F models listed on the Boeing, Rayethon and General Dynamics websites I think I get a pretty clear picture about the aircraft and what it can do. It lists at a 2009 flyaway price of $54.7 million and Boeing has offered it for a fixed price of $50 million. Nice of them...I am sorry about not posting links but I figured from the postings that most of you sound like you know this info by heart. ;) I'm new at this. Sorry about posting in block form but I am limited on time and tend to hurry. I will try to do better in the future. :)
Flyaway price isn't a good indicator of how much an aircraft "deal" would actually cost. For example, Australia has paid some six billion dollars for 24 Super Hornets. Number seem a little high compared to flyaway price? That's because the deal involves a whole lot of other things, from through life maintenance to weapon costs. So the cost per platform is not a good indicator for the capability as a whole, and tells a limited part of the story at best. I don't understand the whole thing myself but if you want a crash course in these things, asking Grand Danois or Swerve would be a good idea. They is good at numbers. ;)

It's not a matter of whether internal weapons carriage is needed after day one or not (and it wasn't exactly what OPSSG said). It's that the option is available to carry heavy weapons loads if such is deemed more necessary than maintaining LO. Or you can alter the mix - place LO-configured aircraft forward and use them as spotters for the "shooter platforms" with external payloads which hang back and fire at targets cued by the spotters (this is just an example). The point is, the combination of LO and internal payload allows a greater measure of flexibility of response than would otherwise be available. Capability will be matched to the threat - if this means carrying a smaller payload for the sake of maintaining LO then so be it. There is more inherent flexibility in having the capability than not. Essentially, a legacy aircraft can carry a large external payload but cannot undertake the LO mission, while the F-35 can undertake the LO mission when necessary, or carry a large external payload when necessary. So in that regard the F-35 can do everything the legacy platform can, but the legacy platform cannot do everything the F-35 can.

I'd also advise you treat claims of "anti-stealth" capability with some caution, as its quite a hot topic at the moment but one that's not been substantiated in any meaningful sense. One thing to remember is this: if radars capable of detecting LO aircraft are proliferating, why are we seeing the global development of LO systems? Currently the US, Britain, Russia, China, and many nations in Europe are pursuing manned or unmanned LO systems. Ask yourself this: how much money would you expect to see spent globally, by people and organisations in possession of all the data not available to the public, on a capability that was becoming obsolete?

It's always pertinent to remember the scope of LO developments happening globally when people claim to have an F-35-detecting-radar or whatever the latest claim is. Also worth remembering (and it's something a few people in here try to drive home whenever this topic comes up) is that LO is not a static technology, nor is it accomplished solely through RCS-reducing measures. Low observability is a capability, not a technology - so it is achieved through various means and the next generation will not necessarily work in the same way to current LO applications (I know this isn't necessarily relevant in a discussion about the F-35 but it's good to remember). :)

Getting back to the F18 E/F. (See, new paragraph:D) When I review the features on this aircraft I find little fault with it. The APG-79 radar is a huge upgrade over the older APG-73. It can carry 17,750 pounds of stores. The combat range (battlefleet.com) is 1275 nm clean with two AIM-9s. It uses F414-GE-400 engines which are excellent. It has a total of 11 weapons stations with the ability to carry more munitions than I care to list, and can operate as an airborne tanker. There is a total of 17 cubic feet of "growing space" for future electronic systems so it can be upgraded for decades. And it has a newish lightweight M61A2 20mm gattling gun. While not a "stealth" fighter it has a lower frontal radar signature than most advanced combat aircraft. If Canada decides to ever buy a new electronic warfare system the EA/18G ia available for $73 million and utilizes 90% of common parts with the E&F models. What's not to like?
I'm quite fond of the Super Hornet, my country has just purchased them and I think the aircraft is far, far more capable than the crap it cops in the media would have people believe. But I can promise you it's not going to fly over a thousand nautical miles in a "clean" configuration. That range sounds more like a ferry configuration.

As far as through life costs go, I agree completely with Kilo 2-3. Just because the Super Hornet is more mature than the F-35, doesn't mean the through life and upgrade costs go away. If you're going to keep a platform combat-capable and relevant over the next 45 years, you're looking at billions regardless of the platform chosen.

Hope some of that helps or gives you something to think about. Welcome to DT as well. :)

SpudmanWP

The Bunker Group
It lists at a 2009 flyaway price of $54.7 million and Boeing has offered it for a fixed price of $50 million. Nice of them...I am sorry about not posting links but I figured from the postings that most of you sound like you know this info by heart. ;) I'm new at this. Sorry about posting in block form but I am limited on time and tend to hurry. I will try to do better in the future. :)
Sorry that I did not say it before, but welcome to the board.

A good place to start on budget materials is the Navy Budget Site:
For FY2011 DoN Budget Materials-rev

Air Force Budget Site:
Air Force Financial Management & Comptroller - Budget

Here is the USAF FY2011 Aircraft Book (page 48 for the F-35):
http://www.saffm.hq.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-100128-072.pdf

Here is the Navy FY2011 Aircraft Book (page 27 for the Hornet):
http://www.finance.hq.navy.mil/FMB/11pres/APN_BA1-4_BOOK.pdf

First, let's get an apples to apples comparison. According to the $54.7 number, the closest number in the Navy budget is the REC Flyaway Cost which was actually $55.4 million USD. Next, when will the fighters be bought? Canada plans on starting to buy F-35s starting in 2014 (for delivery in ~2016). Final question, in what year did Boeing quote the $50 million and in what FY dollars?

Using the REC flyaway for both fighters, this is what we can calculate.

FY2011 F-18E/F is $60.3 million. Adjusted for FY2014 inflation, that is $62.6.

FY2011 F-35 is $121.6 million. Because Boeing quoted the REC Flyaway and not the Flyaway Unit Cost (which includes "non-recurring" and "Ancillary" costs), we need to do a little calculation due to the DoD not forward-estimating the REC Flyaway Cost. Lets look at the FY2011 REC Flyaway as a percentage of Flyaway Unit Cost. For FY2011, the F-35 CTOL Flyaway Unit Cost is $149.95 mil and the REC Flyaway is $121.56 mil. So, the REC Flyaway is 81.07% of the Flyaway Unit Cost.

Now, the projected FY2014 Flyaway Unit Cost for a F-35A is $98.18 mil and the projected REC Flyaway will be $79.59 mil (based on the above 81.07%). That is just for the FY2014 buy and Canada plans a 5-year buy. Looking at the same formula and projected USAF F-35 numbers, the FY2015 REC Flyaway will be $70.53 mil, and the further years will continue to get cheaper due to the MYB that is planned.

Sorry for all the numbers and the lengths it took to figure it out, but these are US DoD (Department of Defense) budget numbers, not LM numbers.

The statement that the internal weapons bay won't be needed after the first day of combat is nonsense. Sure it is plausable when one fights a second rate army and uncommited air force like Iraq. But times are changing.
Day 1 ops means ops in high threat areas. Obviously the people in the field will configure the F-35 appropriately based on the threat level.

The current crop of surface to air missiles (S-300 I believe is the name or SA-20 under NATO) that are due to be delivered to Iran is making the Isreali colons constrict very tightly.
And guess what they are clamoring for... F-35s!

Getting back to the F18 E/F. (See, new paragraph:D) When I review the features on this aircraft I find little fault with it. The APG-79 radar is a huge upgrade over the older APG-73. It can carry 17,750 pounds of stores.
To carry that much it has to loose the wing tanks and therefore much of it's range.

thetoad45

What do you mean you aren't going to fly an intercept mission or any other kind of mission with only two Sidewidners? I've see intercept missions WITH MY OWN EYES on Bear bombers using an old A-7 armed with ONLY two sidewinders and a cannon! We put a sidewinder on A-6s when we had nothing else. People seem to think that the only winners in any conflict will be the ones with the highest tech machines. The USAF pilots have been given more than a few nasty suprises during exercises against the Thai's who flew old F-5's and the Indians flying updated Mig-21 aircraft. Tactics and experience made all the difference. Yes you can nit-pick the details to death but in the end the super planes didn't win.

When the F-16 was a new airplane they sent a squadron to Northern Japan. They loaded these planes with bombs, missiles and fuel and flew them to the Russian base just north of them as a show of force. The Russians took offense and one Mig locked onto one of the F-16s and chased him all the way home. My brother said that when the major got out of the plane he had urinated and soiled himself out of sheer terror. He kept repeating that he wasn't able to shake the Mig all the way home..

I had the honor of serving onboard what was at the time the oldest conventional aircraft carrier in the fleet. (USN) We sailed undetected with two other carriers to a position just off the Russian eastern coast. The Russians found the Enterprise CVN-65 right away but we sat undetected for two weeks until we had to catch two of the Enterprises Tomcats. Then they were after us in force. The USN is one of the best, most modern navies in the world. Yet during war games foriegn conventional submarines have been able quite often to break through the defensive screen and get close enough to take pretty pictures. Again, so much for modern always being best.

In this thread I had discussed the current and possible future threats facing Canada. For decades Canada used F-5, F-106 and F-101 aircraft before buying the current CF-18 aircraft they now have. None of these aircraft are what one could call super planes by any means but it was what Canada could afford.. Yet they were put to good use by good people. The current threats and possible future threats in my humble opinion that face Canada are still long range bombers arriving over the pole to violate Canadian airspace and perhaps some type of seaborne issue involving either surface ships or submarines along the coast. I hope, as do most I'm sure, that Canada is never again involved in a major worldwide conflict. Canada has no real ememies at this time yet needs aircraft for defense. That being said I see a need for an aircraft that is able to operate as an intercepter yet also operate in an anti-shipping role with cruise missiles. The F-18SH fills this role nicely. The Ottawa Citizen was the publication I quoted from that stated Boeings offer to the Canadian government. A lot of you are picking this thread to pieces in an effort to make the F-18SH seem old and wimpy. These are new modern aircraft with a long service life ahead. They may not fit the bill for those in the United States who seem to think that if it isn't stealth it isn't worth having. That's your opinion and your entitled to it.

I helped defend the United States onboard an OLD ship armed with old F-4S aircraft long after these planes had been mostly replaced not only by the U.S. forces but also worldwide. Yet there wasn't a day that I stood on deck and watched these aircraft launch and recover that I felt we couldn't perform our duty to good effect if called upon. Sometimes it's the man in or on the machine that makes all the difference.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Okay, here we go...

What do you mean you aren't going to fly an intercept mission or any other kind of mission with only two Sidewidners? I've see intercept missions WITH MY OWN EYES on Bear bombers using an old A-7 armed with ONLY two sidewinders and a cannon! We put a sidewinder on A-6s when we had nothing else. People seem to think that the only winners in any conflict will be the ones with the highest tech machines. The USAF pilots have been given more than a few nasty suprises during exercises against the Thai's who flew old F-5's and the Indians flying updated Mig-21 aircraft. Tactics and experience made all the difference. Yes you can nit-pick the details to death but in the end the super planes didn't win.
With regards to the A-7 Corsair II intercept of a Bear bomber while armed with only two AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles and a cannon, approximately when and where did this "intercept" occur, and who was the operator of the A-7 (as in what nation/service)?

I ask because the A-7 is a subsonic attack jet which saw service in the US from 1965 to 1992, and the AIM-9 Sidewinder is a short/WVR air to air missile which originally entered into US service in 1956, with a range of ~10-20 miles, depending on launch altitude. Between those two facts, it means that a Bear would pretty much be the only combat aircraft which an A-7 would be fast enough to catch/intercept. Any of the other Soviet/Russian fighter-bombers, bombers or strike aircraft from the period like the MiG-21 Fishbed, MiG-23 Flogger, Su-24 Fencer or Tu-22 Backfire would easily be able to out run and evade an A-7. Several of them could also have easily engaged and shot down an A-7 before it could have gotten close enough to engage using it's Sidewinders. In short, it does not sound like an intercept to me, because an intercept is made by a fighter capable of conducting air to air combat. That is not a situation which an A-7 would seek out. That is what fighter aircraft like the F-8, F-4, F-14 or F-18 are for.

The A-6 Intruder is a similar case, it is a subsonic attack aircraft, which also saw service during a similar period from 1963 - 1997. Unless I am completely mis-reading the mission set, they are not aircraft which would deliberately sent to an air to air engagement. I do believe that some were armed with AIM-9 Sidewinders during sorties over (North) Vietnam because they might encounter MiG-21 Fishbeds and need to defend themselves. That is an entirely different situation from CAP fighters tasked with fleet air defence.

Additionally, and dealing with current warfighting systems, a fighter aircraft would not be tasked with conducting CAP/air-to-air missions in wartime using just WVR missiles. If such a situation did occur, the unfortunate fighter would face engagement and potential destruction from hostile aircraft firing BVR missiles at ranges outside of his engagement envelope. This would leave the targeted fighter no option but to engage in evasive maneuvers while attempting to close with the launching aircraft, or flying sufficiently far enough away to take him outside of the engagement range of the hostile aircraft. The first option would likely result in the loss of the targeted fighter before it could engage the enemy, while the second option might preserve the fighter for future engagements but also prevent it from engaging the enemy in that particular scenario.

I had the honor of serving onboard what was at the time the oldest conventional aircraft carrier in the fleet. (USN) We sailed undetected with two other carriers to a position just off the Russian eastern coast. The Russians found the Enterprise CVN-65 right away but we sat undetected for two weeks until we had to catch two of the Enterprises Tomcats. Then they were after us in force. The USN is one of the best, most modern navies in the world. Yet during war games foriegn conventional submarines have been able quite often to break through the defensive screen and get close enough to take pretty pictures. Again, so much for modern always being best.

In this thread I had discussed the current and possible future threats facing Canada. For decades Canada used F-5, F-106 and F-101 aircraft before buying the current CF-18 aircraft they now have. None of these aircraft are what one could call super planes by any means but it was what Canada could afford.. Yet they were put to good use by good people. The current threats and possible future threats in my humble opinion that face Canada are still long range bombers arriving over the pole to violate Canadian airspace and perhaps some type of seaborne issue involving either surface ships or submarines along the coast. I hope, as do most I'm sure, that Canada is never again involved in a major worldwide conflict. Canada has no real ememies at this time yet needs aircraft for defense. That being said I see a need for an aircraft that is able to operate as an intercepter yet also operate in an anti-shipping role with cruise missiles. The F-18SH fills this role nicely. The Ottawa Citizen was the publication I quoted from that stated Boeings offer to the Canadian government. A lot of you are picking this thread to pieces in an effort to make the F-18SH seem old and wimpy. These are new modern aircraft with a long service life ahead. They may not fit the bill for those in the United States who seem to think that if it isn't stealth it isn't worth having. That's your opinion and your entitled to it.
With respect to the ability of (some) conventional submarines to evade detection and close upon USN CBGs, (again, some) modern diesel-electric submarines are amongst the quietest subs in service. This can be attributed to a combination of the systems used, with a diesel-electric operating on batteries having few moving parts/acoustic sources, as well as the quality of the crew operating the sub. The RAN Collins-class SSG immediately springs to mind with their respective performances during exercises. As you noted, much of the value/capability in a combat system comes from the operator. This is quite true, as a skilled and determined pilot/crew in a slightly less capable aircraft/vessel/vehicle can achieve greater results than a poorly trained and/or motivated pilot/crew could achieve with a cutting edge aircraft/vessel or vehicle.

However, when a wide margin in equipment quality or capability exists between combatants, then the side with the better equipment tends to when, particularly when both sides are equally motivated. The German invasion of Poland in 1939 comes to mind as an example. The Poles had some of the finests horses and cavalry in Europe, but they did not stand any real chance against the German panzers.

Now, back specifically to Canadian fighter requirements. I agree that Canada needs a fighter capable of patrolling the various approaches, and able to conduct maritime strike and air to air combat missions. However, these are not the only environments Canadian fighters could find themselves operating in due to treaty obligations as well as (Canadian) national interest. Also the Canadian requirement needs to be viewed within the correct context, as the fighter replacement will see operational service for some time. Therefore one must be aware that the threat matrix is changing and the frontline 4th and 4.5 Gen fighters of today will likely be significantly less competitive in the next decade, never mind to the projected 2040-2050 service life of the F-35.

To understand that better, look at the areas where significant improvements have been made in 4.5 Gen fighters when compared to 4th Gen fighters, and what has been done with the F-22 and is being worked on for the F-35. Generally speaking, the improvements have been made in information dominance/situational awareness. The sensors and avionics have been improved to increase the amount of information available to the pilot/aircrew, as well as having the information presented in an operationally useful/relevant manner. At the same time, work has been done to reduce the amount of useful information an opposing force/system can gather on a platform while it is operating, i.e. LO/sig management.

This potential advantage in information dominance can potentially allow one system to set the terms of engagement, which increases the chances for that particular side to achieve mission success/victory over the opposing side. An example I frequently use for this would be an air-to-air engagement between two different fighter aircraft (Fighter A and Fighter B). Assuming everything about Fighter A and Fighter B are exactly the same, except that due to a combination of improvements to Figher A's sensors, avionics and sig management, Fighter A can detect Fighter B at twice the range Fighter B can detect Fighter A. Due to Fighter A's ability to detect Fighter B comparatively early, Fighter A would usually be able to act first, thus choosing to engage when Fighter A can have the most possible advantages, evading when appropriate, etc. The situation of course is more complex in reality due to the large scale employment of additional external harvesting and potential acting/reacting systems, but the general idea is there.

-Cheers

Last edited:

thetoad45

Okay, here we go...

With regards to the A-7 Corsair II intercept of a Bear bomber while armed with only two AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles and a cannon, approximately when and where did this "intercept" occur, and who was the operator of the A-7 (as in what nation/service)?

I ask because the A-7 is a subsonic attack jet which saw service in the US from 1965 to 1992, and the AIM-9 Sidewinder is a short/WVR air to air missile which originally entered into US service in 1956, with a range of ~10-20 miles, depending on launch altitude. Between those two facts, it means that a Bear would pretty much be the only combat aircraft which an A-7 would be fast enough to catch/intercept. Any of the other Soviet/Russian fighter-bombers, bombers or strike aircraft from the period like the MiG-21 Fishbed, MiG-23 Flogger, Su-24 Fencer or Tu-22 Backfire would easily be able to out run and evade an A-7. Several of them could also have easily engaged and shot down an A-7 before it could have gotten close enough to engage using it's Sidewinders. In short, it does not sound like an intercept to me, because an intercept is made by a fighter capable of conducting air to air combat. That is not a situation which an A-7 would seek out. That is what fighter aircraft like the F-8, F-4, F-14 or F-18 are for.

The A-6 Intruder is a similar case, it is a subsonic attack aircraft, which also saw service during a similar period from 1963 - 1997. Unless I am completely mis-reading the mission set, they are not aircraft which would deliberately sent to an air to air engagement. I do believe that some were armed with AIM-9 Sidewinders during sorties over (North) Vietnam because they might encounter MiG-21 Fishbeds and need to defend themselves. That is an entirely different situation from CAP fighters tasked with fleet air defence.

Additionally, and dealing with current warfighting systems, a fighter aircraft would not be tasked with conducting CAP/air-to-air missions in wartime using just WVR missiles. If such a situation did occur, the unfortunate fighter would face engagement and potential destruction from hostile aircraft firing BVR missiles at ranges outside of his engagement envelope. This would leave the targeted fighter no option but to engage in evasive maneuvers while attempting to close with the launching aircraft, or flying sufficiently far enough away to take him outside of the engagement range of the hostile aircraft. The first option would likely result in the loss of the targeted fighter before it could engage the enemy, while the second option might preserve the fighter for future engagements but also prevent it from engaging the enemy in that particular scenario.

With respect to the ability of (some) conventional submarines to evade detection and close upon USN CBGs, (again, some) modern diesel-electric submarines are amongst the quietest subs in service. This can be attributed to a combination of the systems used, with a diesel-electric operating on batteries having few moving parts/acoustic sources, as well as the quality of the crew operating the sub. The RAN Collins-class SSG immediately springs to mind with their respective performances during exercises. As you noted, much of the value/capability in a combat system comes from the operator. This is quite true, as a skilled and determined pilot/crew in a slightly less capable aircraft/vessel/vehicle can achieve greater results than a poorly trained and/or motivated pilot/crew could achieve with a cutting edge aircraft/vessel or vehicle.

However, when a wide margin in equipment quality or capability exists between combatants, then the side with the better equipment tends to when, particularly when both sides are equally motivated. The German invasion of Poland in 1939 comes to mind as an example. The Poles had some of the finests horses and cavalry in Europe, but they did not stand any real chance against the German panzers.

Now, back specifically to Canadian fighter requirements. I agree that Canada needs a fighter capable of patrolling the various approaches, and able to conduct maritime strike and air to air combat missions. However, these are not the only environments Canadian fighters could find themselves operating in due to treaty obligations as well as (Canadian) national interest. Also the Canadian requirement needs to be viewed within the correct context, as the fighter replacement will see operational service for some time. Therefore one must be aware that the threat matrix is changing and the frontline 4th and 4.5 Gen fighters of today will likely be significantly less competitive in the next decade, never mind to the projected 2040-2050 service life of the F-35.

To understand that better, look at the areas where significant improvements have been made in 4.5 Gen fighters when compared to 4th Gen fighters, and what has been done with the F-22 and is being worked on for the F-35. Generally speaking, the improvements have been made in information dominance/situational awareness. The sensors and avionics have been improved to increase the amount of information available to the pilot/aircrew, as well as having the information presented in an operationally useful/relevant manner. At the same time, work has been done to reduce the amount of useful information an opposing force/system can gather on a platform while it is operating, i.e. LO/sig management.

This potential advantage in information dominance can potentially allow one system to set the terms of engagement, which increases the chances for that particular side to achieve mission success/victory over the opposing side. An example I frequently use for this would be an air-to-air engagement between two different fighter aircraft (Fighter A and Fighter B). Assuming everything about Fighter A and Fighter B are exactly the same, except that due to a combination of improvements to Figher A's sensors, avionics and sig management, Fighter A can detect Fighter B at twice the range Fighter B can detect Fighter A. Due to Fighter A's ability to detect Fighter B comparatively early, Fighter A would usually be able to act first, thus choosing to engage when Fighter A can have the most possible advantages, evading when appropriate, etc. The situation of course is more complex in reality due to the large scale employment of additional external harvesting and potential acting/reacting systems, but the general idea is there.

-Cheers
I would think that I made it clear that the A-7 belonged to the USN. It occured over the North Pacific. Yes it was an intercept as the A-7 was the only aircraft available at the time. The picket ships picked up the Bear on radar and that was what was available to escort. The Russians overwhelmed us with a show of force. I didn't think they had that many aircraft. Our aircraft were stretched very thin. Real life isn't like the movies. What you all write about looks like it comes right out of a tech manual. Yes, we had Sidewinders on our A-6 aircraft because of a threat from Iran at the time. We got a report that propeller driven aircraft could be used against our task force. The report stated the Iranians may used these bomb laden aircraft to dive into our ships. Every aircraft launched carried some sort of missile as we never new when or where this may happen. It's called covering your ass. We even mounted .50 caliber machine guns all around the ship. That's pretty low tech so I hope it does not offend anyone.

I'm tired of all this. Reality and real world situations don't seem to matter in this forum. Only tech reports, specs and talk about really cool sensors and such. You all enjoy putting each other down. A glimse of anything real is picked apart and criticed. Even an eye witness account is brought into question because it flies in the face of your "data". Well in reality, a country like the United States has spent it's billions for decades to acquire the highest tech military the world has ever seen. Yet with all that they have not won a decisive war since the 1940's. Cannot count the Gulf War as the coalition quit just as victory was at hand. Militaries are now relying so much on high tech that they have forgotton how to fight and win a war. Today small bands or people running around in bed sheets, with less than modern weaponry, have tied up the most modern military machines for eight years at a cost of hundreds of billions of dollars and thousands of lives. One reason being that these high tech weapons are so costly to buy and operate that it takes away from other aspects of the military. Wars now must be fought with a handful of men and a few high tech machines. If history proves anything it proves that this way of thinking is flawed in the extreme. Sounds great but in reality will not win a war. But nothing will change. Be happy with your data sheets and continue living in a fantasy.... Peace.

Kilo 2-3

I would think that I made it clear that the A-7 belonged to the USN. It occured over the North Pacific. Yes it was an intercept as the A-7 was the only aircraft available at the time. The picket ships picked up the Bear on radar and that was what was available to escort. The Russians overwhelmed us with a show of force. I didn't think they had that many aircraft. Our aircraft were stretched very thin. Real life isn't like the movies. What you all write about looks like it comes right out of a tech manual. Yes, we had Sidewinders on our A-6 aircraft because of a threat from Iran at the time. We got a report that propeller driven aircraft could be used against our task force. The report stated the Iranians may used these bomb laden aircraft to dive into our ships. Every aircraft launched carried some sort of missile as we never new when or where this may happen. It's called covering your ass. We even mounted .50 caliber machine guns all around the ship. That's pretty low tech so I hope it does not offend anyone.

I'm tired of all this. Reality and real world situations don't seem to matter in this forum. Only tech reports, specs and talk about really cool sensors and such. You all enjoy putting each other down. A glimse of anything real is picked apart and criticed. Even an eye witness account is brought into question because it flies in the face of your "data". Well in reality, a country like the United States has spent it's billions for decades to acquire the highest tech military the world has ever seen. Yet with all that they have not won a decisive war since the 1940's. Cannot count the Gulf War as the coalition quit just as victory was at hand. Militaries are now relying so much on high tech that they have forgotton how to fight and win a war. Today small bands or people running around in bed sheets, with less than modern weaponry, have tied up the most modern military machines for eight years at a cost of hundreds of billions of dollars and thousands of lives. One reason being that these high tech weapons are so costly to buy and operate that it takes away from other aspects of the military. Wars now must be fought with a handful of men and a few high tech machines. If history proves anything it proves that this way of thinking is flawed in the extreme. Sounds great but in reality will not win a war. But nothing will change. Be happy with your data sheets and continue living in a fantasy.... Peace.
I don't mean to put words in your mouth, so please feel free to interject if I'm off course here.

What I hear you saying regarding the more managerial tone of this discussion greatly parallels the complaint which a fair amount of military leaders and veterans have voiced against the policies and leadership style of Robert McNamara was SecDef. (McNamara ran it "by the numbers," and micromanaged other things obsessively (see his and LBJ's involvement in Rolling Thunder). Consequently some very important things were overlooked and mistakes were made).

Personally, I tend to be a bit more analytical, but I recognize the need for a strong "warrior mentality" in today's armed forces. You can't manage and plan your way through a war, you have to have boots on the ground and you have to have warriors.

But there ultimately needs to be a compromise between the two. One to the exclusion of other results in mistakes being made, key issues ignored, and people dying. This is one of the reasons the US military is not oligarchically lead by a single general or an admiral or by a single civilian. The SecDef and the JCS work together, and approach the problem from different angles.

You can't ignore either one. Real world situations are important, but if you don't temper them with data and place them in the larger picture, you're not going to be able to use either one effectively.

You have to differentiate between last-ditch emergencies and the warfighting capabilities and tactics you're going to use on a more reuglar basis. The A-7 intercept is a very extreme case. It's a compelling argument for you to have the ability to put Sidewinders on your light attacks so that they're there if you need to use them. (and when that need arises, man, you're gonna need 'em). But it isn't an arugment for making the Corsair II your primary air defence fighter...

Options and what you will regularly do are not the same things.

Asymmettrical warfare works by exploiting the strengths of a conventional army against itself. Two low-tech forces fighting against each other is just a bloodbath.

Yes, simple can be good, but there's a very compelling case for high technology everywhere in today's military. Technology saves lives, it protects troops and civilians, and it makes it easier to fight . It isn't everything, but it has some very compelling benefits. I'd rather have an M-4 with a scope, and a foregrip than a cheap AK-47.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer

The reason I was asking about the situation with the A-7, was I was particularly interested in the circumstances of the encounter. The goes for the situation with the A-6 Intruder. I could be mistaken, but I would assume the A-7 encounter was sometime between 1970 and the mid-1980's, and the A-6 Intruder situation with Iran was some time during the Iran-Iraq War, ~1980-1989...

This sort of time frame is relevant because it is less about the individual platforms in use, as it is about the capability of the entire system. In both cases, the sensor coverage and engagement range available to a current USN CBG is vastly superior now to what was available ~25 years ago.

That sort of generational change in system capabilities makes a difference when one is discussing the relevance of high-tech systems,

-Cheers

A

Aussie Digger

As far as the range of the JSF I have seen it listed with a combat radius of 400+ miles for the air force version and 600 miles for the naval version.
590 nautical miles, combat radius for the -A model conventional take-off and landing variant.

18,000 pound payload seems a bit much for this aircraft. Where were these stats from? The internal payload seems to be quite small. The LM people say the internal weapons bay will be modified to hold 6 BVR missiles but as yet I don't believe the mods are in effect. As far as I know it still holds only two in it's current state. (Maybe four)
It's not. 18,000lbs is the payload rating. All 10 hardpoints are used in this calculation though.

The internal payload is small? Compared to what? A B-1 bomber? What is the internal payload like compared to a Super Hornet? Positively enormous, I'd suggest...

The internal payload of 2x 2000lbs class weapons and 2x AIM-120C AMRAAM is a "baseline" used by the manufacturer to establish that the aircraft meets it's performance parameters.

It is reflective of a standard defensive counter air pay-load carried by current tactical fighters, though minus the 2x Sidewinder type missiles, most Western aircraft typically carry today.

It is not "the" payload the aircraft will carry. Like any combat aircraft, loads will be configured for the operational task at hand, much like your Sidewinder armed A-7 and A-6's you mentioned.

The aircraft will of course carry more A2A missiles if the threat dictates the necessity for this. Lockheed Martin have confirmed that each F-35 variant will be capable of carrying 4x AIM-120 AMRAAM variants internally upon the F-35's introduction to service. More can be carried externally if a user wishes.

When one talks about putting 18,000 pounds of weapons onto this aircraft it means the wing pylons will be used and then all stealth goes right out the window. It becomes as visable as any other aircraft.
Of course it means using external pylons. This will obviously increase the radar reflectivity of the aircraft, but it will STILL be of a magnitude smaller than all other NON-LO aircraft. Does the basic airframe shaping change because of the external weapons? Does the performance of the RAM diminish? Does the IR signature reduction measures fail to work?

The answer to these questions is of course not. So before making such a statement it behooves one to consider whether or not the increase in RCS will make the aircraft tactically non-effective.

The answer is of course not. The F-35 would be effective even were it not an LO aircraft. Internal carriage of weapons and fuel provides benefits other than "simple" LO management benefits.

But again, look at the threats facing Canada at this time. Look at the threats facing Canada in the future. Does this threat rate the expense of these aircraft or is it just ego in wanting the "best and most expensive" toy on the block?
Depends enormously on when and what you buy. At full rate production the F-35 will be cheaper than either the Super Hornet or F-15. The interesting thing about military purchases is the price differences. Before being overly concerned about price, you must consider what else the package includes.

Boeing's proposal for 36x Super Hornet fighters for Brazil was priced at $7.6b, which works out at $211m per fighter if you simply divide the proposal price by the number of fighters...

Boeing has told Canada that they will lock in the price for new F18SH at $50 million with some perks. I don't know what the cost of F15 aircraft are. I look at recent sales of aircraft worldwide and I still see nations located in fairly critical areas of the world buying the new model F15. They must feel they are getting the best aircraft for the money that will address their threat levels. If we review the overall benefits of the F35 we see that it is not a dedicated air superiority fighter.
No, it is a multi-role fighter. But it IS a fighter and if you believe the manufacturer it is six times as capable in air to air combat as any legacy fighter...

I have doubts that it is any better than the current F15 models in a dogfight. It's frontal stealth is only effective if the weapons load is kept small otherwise it is just another conventional aircraft.
Except it is also equipped with internal weapons, enormous internal fuel loads, a lower RCS even with external weapons than any legacy fighter can achieve, situational awareness and sensor systems that enormously outweigh any legacy capability AND legacy fighter equivalent performance levels.

And it will be cheaper...

And the cost could rise to over $80 millions a plane. What a bargin. The F35 has been going through flight testing for some time now. I say take one to Canada and let LM put their money where their mouth is and fly this wonder plane along side some competition and let the buffalo chips fall where they may.... Toodles:D
At full rate production it won't be. If you buy early, they will be expensive, just like any other program...

It's flight testing has just started. 150 odd flights out of a planned 5000. Perhaps let the flight test program settle a tad, get seriously underway (say 1000+ flights) and I'm sure L-M will be more than happy to undertake a flyoff...

DEFENCEMASTER05

It will make no sense if Canada doesn't choose the F35 JSF considering the investment the Canadian Government has placed in it. I understand that the JSF program has suffered development problems but I am sure that the JSF program will not be cancelled because so many nations have invested in this program. If the JSF program does go under the US Senate might be forced to allow the F 22 Raptor to be sold outside the US. This would be something the US Government won't be happy about. If still the US Government refuses to sell the F 22 Raptor outside of the US, this could hinder and place the brakes on the US Defence Industry fore nations that miss out on both the JSF and the F 22 Raptor will look towards the Eurofighter and maybe Russian built Mig's. The JSF program may have had it's set backs but be sure that the JSF program will not go under. .

LGB

Cost of F-35

One might observe a note of caution is warranted regarding the cost of the F-35. The USAF in the FY09 Budget Estimate had the average flyaway cost of 1,763 F-35A's around $83 million. The FY11 document shows the cost around $91 million. These cost projections are clearly wrong given they were made prior the the program being restructured, the program manager fired, the QDR lowering USAF force structure and required numbers of F-35A's, the initial USAF IOC now being pushed out to late 2015, etc. It is in fact very difficult to construct any scenario where the F-35A will not cost north of $100 million.

As for comparing a Super Hornet one might note the recent USN numbers indicating far higher operating costs of the F-35B/C. I apologize for being able to attach it but the Jan 4 2010 brief date slide is "JSF (F-35B/C) Impact to Naval Aviation" and is available online.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
One might observe a note of caution is warranted regarding the cost of the F-35. The USAF in the FY09 Budget Estimate had the average flyaway cost of 1,763 F-35A's around $83 million. The FY11 document shows the cost around $91 million. These cost projections are clearly wrong given they were made prior the the program being restructured, the program manager fired, the QDR lowering USAF force structure and required numbers of F-35A's, the initial USAF IOC now being pushed out to late 2015, etc. It is in fact very difficult to construct any scenario where the F-35A will not cost north of $100 million.
91 million then-year dollars is roughly 60-65 million dollars cy2008.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
As for comparing a Super Hornet one might note the recent USN numbers indicating far higher operating costs of the F-35B/C. I apologize for being able to attach it but the Jan 4 2010 brief date slide is "JSF (F-35B/C) Impact to Naval Aviation" and is available online.
Nope. I refers to the classic Hornet (A-D) and the AV-8B II, not the Super Hornet.

luccloud

Canada needs to start taking the reins and manufacturing their own weapon systems. It would also put more Canadians to work. That's my dream. :)

We did, it's call Avro Arrow. But the government killed it under US pressure plus the Conservative hate technology. This is why we can't have nice thing in Canada :(

I am surprised no one mentioned NORAD yet. NORAD and whatever war US decide to go next is basically all of CAF operational needs. If F35 is not suitable for future air mission, then I guess USAF will just need to work harder to pick up the slack. After all, they are the one who designed and sold us the F35. :roll2

moahunter

Banned Member
It will make no sense if Canada doesn't choose the F35 JSF considering the investment the Canadian Government has placed in it.
Canada's involvement to date in the program has been to ensure that Canadian military contractors gain access to contracts. Canada will come out ahead even if they do choose a different solution. Canada is in a nice position right now, they can just wait and see how the F35 pans out, no rush.

The F35 has always looked a bit odd for Canada, for a couple of reasons. One is that Canada has always prefered dual engines, as being a bit safer in the arctic environment. The other is that perhaps an air superiority fighter / interceptor type would fit the bill more. Mind you, the CF18's aren't that, and have worked out fine, so the super hornet would be a natrual choice?