BMP-3s for Venezuela

Luis-Cuba

Not that Argentina and Chile are at war or anything but wouldn't the TAM tanks be used more as tank destroyers against Leo II's if push came to shove? Ambush or hit and run type battle I guess.

Can a Leo II front armor stop a 105mm round say from 500 yards?

I assume with the cooper money that Chile would have more funding for training as well, Chile's crews would have a huge edge. Still 240 is a nice amount could jump start their armor and mechanized units some.

I would have thought many years ago that the TAM tanks might have pick up some export orders because of their lighter weight and at the time large main gun. Jungle roads and less weight on the bridges seems like a good fit I guess the 82 war knocked out their economy.
I read somwhere that the leo 2 uses the latest gen chabolm armor its the same stuff used in the m1a2 and challenger 2 tanks. So i belive yes it could withstand a 105mm round at 500 yards.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Depends on what 105mm round was fired, what gun it was fired out of, muzzle velocity, etc. etc. etc. I'm not familiar with the tank in question, but it's never as straight forward as that.

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The 105 mm will have great difficulties defeating the Leopard 2's frontal armor. 500 yds is a pretty close distance but the Leopard 2 was designed with the Warsaw Pact's 125 mm in mind which has considerably more power than the 105 mm. I don't know if Argentina uses modern projectiles, but even then it will be a game of luck.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Not that Argentina and Chile are at war or anything but wouldn't the TAM tanks be used more as tank destroyers against Leo II's if push came to shove? Ambush or hit and run type battle I guess.

Can a Leo II front armor stop a 105mm round say from 500 yards?

I assume with the cooper money that Chile would have more funding for training as well, Chile's crews would have a huge edge. Still 240 is a nice amount could jump start their armor and mechanized units some.

I would have thought many years ago that the TAM tanks might have pick up some export orders because of their lighter weight and at the time large main gun. Jungle roads and less weight on the bridges seems like a good fit I guess the 82 war knocked out their economy.
Though I will leave the frontal engagement scenario alone between both vehicles you could use it for ambush purposes. For the type of terrian out in bush country you are looking at a good weapons support platform in regards to the TAM, good weight and firepower. This vehicle should be to take on everything in that region head to head on a even keel just short of a LEO2A4. They made a good decision.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The 105 mm will have great difficulties defeating the Leopard 2's frontal armor. 500 yds is a pretty close distance but the Leopard 2 was designed with the Warsaw Pact's 125 mm in mind which has considerably more power than the 105 mm. I don't know if Argentina uses modern projectiles, but even then it will be a game of luck.
It would take some balls of steel to partake in that uneven death match, for the type of round in generation needed, they could not even fire it out of that platform without doing some modifications to the gun mount, also I doubt that we would give it to them.

ROCK45

Question

Wanted to know if anybody heard anything new on Venezuela if they ever purchase any mechanized vehicles or tanks it's been a while.

Thanks

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've heard nothing new for a while. Oil prices collapsed so it wouldn't suprise me that the deals got cancelled, or at least delayed for a while.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing has been announced about a BMP-3 contract so far. Only the delivery of allegedly ~90 T-72s.

momo

oh i know, but we have analyzed in venezuela to bring a companion for the t-72 ( the bmp-3). We wanted the t-90s but we needed them right away so we chose the t-72, that may be the cause why we didn't acquired the bmp-3 but again not everybody knows yet what we bought.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
oh i know, but we have analyzed in venezuela to bring a companion for the t-72 ( the bmp-3). We wanted the t-90s but we needed them right away so we chose the t-72, that may be the cause why we didn't acquired the bmp-3 but again not everybody knows yet what we bought.
The T-72 deal does come along with a extensive upgrade package, BMP 3 will most likely be a companion with this deal along with major AD assetts.

Side note,

There is talk of grumbling inregards with the Columbians possibly losing future purchases of BTR-80 vehicles from Russia, Hugo Chavez may be pressing the Russians to stop all future weapon sales to the Columbians forcing them to more than likely to go the route of Ukrainian or other former Eastern block country, they are in need of at least 150 additional vehicles.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Colombia has a factory set up to the produce a BTR-80 variant armed with the .50 cal. I didn't know that they needed parts to be imported...

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Colombia has a factory set up to the produce a BTR-80 variant armed with the .50 cal. I didn't know that they needed parts to be imported...
Actually they don`t have the capacity to build a complete vehicle, BTR-80s that are currently being used have come from Russia direct with modications being completed by Columbia.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
So then what about the factory that was iirc part of the contract? Has it been built? Is it only a licensed assembly plant? Does it do partial production with some components supplied from Russia? I always sort of assumed that it would give them the ability to produce the BTR-80 independently.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
So then what about the factory that was iirc part of the contract? Has it been built? Is it only a licensed assembly plant? Does it do partial production with some components supplied from Russia? I always sort of assumed that it would give them the ability to produce the BTR-80 independently.
They never recieved the funds nor full approval to built a 100% vehicle, they pretty much have a location to add modifications and that is it, cost wise they are better off just purchasing from someone else in which they most likely figured out.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see. Do you think they will purchase additional vehicles?

EDIT: Afterall 150 units is maybe a single regiment worth of...

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I see. Do you think they will purchase additional vehicles?

EDIT: Afterall 150 units is maybe a single regiment worth of...
I believe they now field close to 60 vehicles, additional 150 figure would put them over the 200 mark, maybe at a later time if the U.S eases some of the assistance that we keep promising them will they look at additional purchases, could possibly see some tank sales also. Right now with the current drug war that is expanding as far as the shores of Africa the U.S will not be leaving for a very long time.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh... my mistake. I thought they fielded 150 units...

EDIT: I looked it up again, and most sources indicate 100 of them. Were deliveries interrupted? Did the Colombians take losses? Did some get pulled out of service?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Oh... my mistake. I thought they fielded 150 units...

EDIT: I looked it up again, and most sources indicate 100 of them. Were deliveries interrupted? Did the Colombians take losses? Did some get pulled out of service?
Which sources, indicators show that they are not operating that amount, whats in storage though may be different matter. Right now they are possibly looking at other countries for additional purchases because of a uncooperative Russia.