BMP-3s for Venezuela

Luis-Cuba

Well, good for Venezuela but still early to say Venezuel armed forces is the strongest or most capable in Latin America.

Even all asset & equipment completely deliver, army personel need at least 2 years to mastering all newly Soviet/Russian made asset & equipment since Venezuela Armed Forces has a little experience in handling it.

BMP-3, armed with 100mm maingun, 30mm secondary gun and 12.7mm for 3rd gun is the best and most suitable IFV for Venezuela Army. Also, BMP-3 has been accepted as rugged IFV and suitable operating in tropical terrain.
Well see how this buildup turns out. They need to dump some of that money into better training programs mabe russia could be payed to train the venezuelan army and airforce. I think brazil and argentina might have a better trained and better equiped fighting force. Ive also heard that the columbian army is an american trained and equipped force i wonder if the venezuelan army is capable of defending its homeland from them? They have always been rivals and chavez moved some amx tanks to the border not to long ago.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Well, good for Venezuela but still early to say Venezuel armed forces is the strongest or most capable in Latin America.

Even all asset & equipment completely deliver, army personel need at least 2 years to mastering all newly Soviet/Russian made asset & equipment since Venezuela Armed Forces has a little experience in handling it.

BMP-3, armed with 100mm maingun, 30mm secondary gun and 12.7mm for 3rd gun is the best and most suitable IFV for Venezuela Army. Also, BMP-3 has been accepted as rugged IFV and suitable operating in tropical terrain.
BMP 3 doesn`t have a 12.7mm crew served weapon, they are designed to carry 3 7.62mm machine guns, 2 in the bow and one that serves as a coax in the turret.

macman

I gather Chile is regarded as the most professional military force in South America.

Brazil & Columbia probably come next, although with different strengths.

Argentina these days is trailing pretty badly - I gather their military is pretty neglected since the fall of the generals.

Venezuela may be moving up into the top 3, though.
The purchases that they've made make for a well balanced, powerful regional force.
Belarus has apparently been hired to setup & train them for their air-defence network, & the pilots for the Sukhoi's are being trained in Russia.

They seem to smart enough to bring in trainers for additional help when necessary.

Twister

BMP 3 doesn`t have a 12.7mm crew served weapon, they are designed to carry 3 7.62mm machine guns, 2 in the bow and one that serves as a coax in the turret.
Sorry for typo error..

I gather Chile is regarded as the most professional military force in South America.

Brazil & Columbia probably come next, although with different strengths.

Argentina these days is trailing pretty badly - I gather their military is pretty neglected since the fall of the generals.

Venezuela may be moving up into the top 3, though.
The purchases that they've made make for a well balanced, powerful regional force.
Belarus has apparently been hired to setup & train them for their air-defence network, & the pilots for the Sukhoi's are being trained in Russia.
To measure the true power of nation in Latin America, we cannot just looking toward their current military asset & equipment and their exp & training. The terrain & surrounding area should be consider also.

Brazil and Argentine Armed Forces can be accepted as strongest army but lacked of modern asset & equipment (especially land & air forces) and has a wide area to cover especially when come to Amazon area.

Chile otherwise has a advantage when come to asset & equipment but most of main asset seem not suitable in their soil especially their above 50 tonnes MBT.

Venezuela has all aspect advantage but lacked of experience & training.

Twister

BMP-3 is good choice for Venezuela Army but will be better if Venezuela itself can assemble it locally.

wimpymouse

Banned Member
I don't think that they will sign the BMP-3 deal alone. There are several deals that are in the works. More Flankers (most likely Su-35BM), Tor M1, submarines (Amur class allegedly), Il-76 and Il-78 (10, and 2 to replace boeing equivalents), and Mi-28N helos. I'd expect another package deal to be signed possibly not within the month, but within the next little while.
They've desided on the subs already. Chavez wanted them all to be of the new AIP type but was convinced to buy 7 conventional, and only the last one of them to be AIP. I belive this is due to urgent needs, while the AIP isn't ready for production yet, as well as they will need some time to learn to handle them.

Three types of choppers is on the Venezuelan wish list, and I belive two types have/are being delivered; Mi-17, Mi-35, and when possible the Mi-28 (I hope I'm correct on the types).

They didn't buy any SAMs yet. That's rumors and speculation. Officially they expressed interest in them as far as I know. Most likely if they are T-72s, they will be from Russian Army reserves, as a cost saver. They are likely to go for T-90S in my mind because it's been effectively delivered to India and Algeria, and on a 500 unit deal they could get licensed production to sweeten the pill. Anyway time will tell.
Can Ukranian T-72's might have been of interest (it rings a bell somewhere)
500 tanks sounds waaay too high for their needs, and an unnessesary cost to boot, as their main threat is the US and will come from the sea (take this for what it is, I have little knowledge). Although, Chavez is constantly looking to expand his countrys industry, so that could happen.

Considering the possibility that Colombia will be involved to some extent if the US strikes/invades, what else do they field but 300.000 soldiers?

¿Are you sure?

Because some Financial Analyst (like Deutsche Bank...) are rising many concerns about the capacity of Venezuela to balance the national budget if the continuous rising of spends and the dropping oil prices continues.

Link to an article published by The Universal quoting Reuters release about that. (English Language)

So perhaps they were thinking in that when the Chavez government brokered the Russian loan. :unknown
Venezuela has $40bn in currency reserves for those rainy days.

The venezuelan gov is totally corrupted, bloated and inefficient. It runs on the base of political indication and corporativism, with near zero meritocracy. The country has high inflation and supermarket shelves are constantly empty. With the fall of oil prices, I dont give more than 4 years to the implosion of its economy.
What are your sources?

It would be interesting to see how many rifles must be produced at the factory for it to pay for its construction.
One of Chavez's main objectives is to expand their industry on multiple fields. This is not only to divert their economy from oil, but also for the sake expanding the know-how of Venezuelans (much like Turkey does militarily, but on a civil side of industry).

In the past years they have, and continously are, expanding their know-how in agriculture; farming animals and growing crops they haven't before, while gaining that know-how from Argentina and Brazil. They've/are building a tractor factory with Irianan help (as well as building cars/car parts for the domestic and L.A. I think).

They have also in the same line of thinking started to nationalize industial factories that are strategic for the countrys growth (and that have been exporting loads instead of supplying the internal market); Sidor, the steel plant; three big cement companies.

So, I'm sure that Chavez is looking at that cost for the factory out of that perspective. Same goes if they're to build T-90's them selves.

Im realy proud that my country has began to modernize their Military. I would realy like to see them have the strongest military in south america . But i dont want to see those forces used for bad intentions. I think the t90s would be the best choice for the venezuelan army as its mbt. Its easy to maintain and is a formidible foe on the battle field. The sukoihs were the best choice for the airforce. He just needs to get those pilots well trained to handle them. I also think the venezuelan basic army training could use some improvment. Some more highend anti air assets should be a primary concern to protect the oil feilds. Also Russian military bases on venezuelan soil would boost its fighting potential 5x.
That's against your constituton borracho. ;)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They've desided on the subs already. Chavez wanted them all to be of the new AIP type but was convinced to buy 7 conventional, and only the last one of them to be AIP. I belive this is due to urgent needs, while the AIP isn't ready for production yet, as well as they will need some time to learn to handle them.
Do you have a source that the submarine deal has been signed?

Three types of choppers is on the Venezuelan wish list, and I belive two types have/are being delivered; Mi-17, Mi-35, and when possible the Mi-28 (I hope I'm correct on the types).
Mi-17, Mi-35 and Mi-26 are already being delivered.

Can Ukranian T-72's might have been of interest (it rings a bell somewhere)
500 tanks sounds waaay too high for their needs, and an unnessesary cost to boot, as their main threat is the US and will come from the sea (take this for what it is, I have little knowledge). Although, Chavez is constantly looking to expand his countrys industry, so that could happen.
Sure they can be. If you want second-hand Soviet war stocks. The Ukranians from what I can gather can't even refurbish them. T-72s is what they initially suggested they want to buy from Russia, to which Russia responded to with an offer of either T-72 or T-90. I suspect that we will try to sell the T-90 because it would mean an actual production contract as opposed to just selling off old stock. As for numbers, they have ~300 AMX-30 right? So if they're only replacing on a one for one basis that means at least 300 T-90's.

One of Chavez's main objectives is to expand their industry on multiple fields. This is not only to divert their economy from oil, but also for the sake expanding the know-how of Venezuelans (much like Turkey does militarily, but on a civil side of industry).

In the past years they have, and continously are, expanding their know-how in agriculture; farming animals and growing crops they haven't before, while gaining that know-how from Argentina and Brazil. They've/are building a tractor factory with Irianan help (as well as building cars/car parts for the domestic and L.A. I think).
Deals as large as the T-90 one could involve some local assembly. It might even involve licensed production locally.

Luis-Cuba

300 T90s would be the best along with a factory to servise them and build more. I hope they continue the build up.

wimpymouse

Banned Member
Do you have a source that the submarine deal has been signed?
Damn, aparantly I was totaly wrong somehow. This is the last article I could find and according to it they're still not ordered.

Recent unconfirmed reports in the Russian press suggest that Chávez also has plans to buy Project 636 diesel submarines, Mi-28 combat helicopters and airplanes, and around 20 Tor-M1 air-defense systems.
http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/article.aspx?id=2831

And looking in venezuelanalysis if found this below confirming the above from that timeframe I was reading about it.

Caracas, June 15, 2007 (venezuelanalysis.com)— Venezuela’s Defense Minister, General Raúl Isaias Baduel, denied recent press reports that Venezuela has ordered nine Russian submarines.

Baduel made the comments yesterday during a book launch, where he said, “I am not confirming [the submarine purchase]. What I am saying is that in accordance with the methodology that we apply in our institution, we must permanently evaluate the threats that could impose themselves on our supreme interests and for the moment there is no plan for the acquisition of these systems.”
http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news/2449

I must have been reading too much Kommersant or something back then. :confused: Anyways it's pretty sad that they haven't realized the greater importance those subs would have in case of an occupation, over new MBT's and IFV's.

Mi-17, Mi-35 and Mi-26 are already being delivered.

Sure they can be. If you want second-hand Soviet war stocks. The Ukranians from what I can gather can't even refurbish them. T-72s is what they initially suggested they want to buy from Russia, to which Russia responded to with an offer of either T-72 or T-90. I suspect that we will try to sell the T-90 because it would mean an actual production contract as opposed to just selling off old stock. As for numbers, they have ~300 AMX-30 right? So if they're only replacing on a one for one basis that means at least 300 T-90's.

Deals as large as the T-90 one could involve some local assembly. It might even involve licensed production locally.
Right, Mi-26, had to look those up, those are huge..

Well, that would leave Ukrania out of the question then. 300 was more than I could imagine they would have, but it does make sence considering how big the country is and with that terrain.

If 300 T-90's, then were looking at least at the same amount of BMP3's, if not double. Is there a possibility that they're looking to bake the T-90's and the BMP3's into the same deal and get the licenced production for both in the same plant, is it technicly feasible, and will the Russians allow them?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's starting to look like there won't be a major deal in the next little while. There were several arms-tass articles in the fall that all dealt with this and mentioned the possibility, and talked about how Venezuela expressed interest in the platforms, and how it needed them to replace older equipment. Then it got quiet and nothing new has come since then. I'm suspecting that it got put on the back burner due to oil price drops.

EDIT: The Russian government even promised additional support and potentially additional purchases to our defense industry, to make up for likely losses from the crisis. While this isn't directly related to the Venezuelan negotiations, I suspect that the overall situation just isn't very conducive to large scale acquisition projects.

Luis-Cuba

I guess the drastic fall of oil prices realy affected the chavez military budjet. Has the deal for the subs been finalized yet? and when could they start entering servise?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has not been finalized. No contract has been signed. Iirc there were not even any concerte negotiations about a contract, only speculations, and the Venezuelans expressed an interest in the subs.

Twister

It has not been finalized. No contract has been signed. Iirc there were not even any concerte negotiations about a contract, only speculations, and the Venezuelans expressed an interest in the subs.
It's true. No concrete evidence yet showing Venezuela will purchase BMP-3 IFV but the posibilities still there. If we checked Venezuela Army asset, all those who has same classes and capabilities as IFV are obselete. AMX-13, V-100/150 & FV101 Scorpion are outdated or if being upgraded, will cost more to Venezuela money.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Im sure that Argetina has no problem at defending its Amazon area. ;)
We will also start to see new and update purchases of Argentina`s ground equipment, a part of that was just announced with a major turret upgrade package for 260 TAM platforms, a German company will be involved with this.

ROCK45

Tam

I assume new FCS but would they keep the 105mm on it or could a new turret on that small size tank handle a 120mm? Thanks

Twister

TAM just needed to upgrade FCS & D/N sight system only. Changing main gun with 120mm doesnt made TAM better since the weight will increased. 105mm still the suitable for TAM.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I assume new FCS but would they keep the 105mm on it or could a new turret on that small size tank handle a 120mm? Thanks
Hey buddy,

Yes, pretty much will consist of FCS with Thermals and new turret drive. It is feasible to place a 120mm into it I doubt if they go to it due to logistical concerns and cost.

ROCK45

Tam

Not that Argentina and Chile are at war or anything but wouldn't the TAM tanks be used more as tank destroyers against Leo II's if push came to shove? Ambush or hit and run type battle I guess.

Can a Leo II front armor stop a 105mm round say from 500 yards?

I assume with the cooper money that Chile would have more funding for training as well, Chile's crews would have a huge edge. Still 240 is a nice amount could jump start their armor and mechanized units some.

I would have thought many years ago that the TAM tanks might have pick up some export orders because of their lighter weight and at the time large main gun. Jungle roads and less weight on the bridges seems like a good fit I guess the 82 war knocked out their economy.