Alternate Energy Resources For Future ? ur opinion and ideas?

suleman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
gf0012 said:
suleman said:
gf i dont disagree with u here but in most of ur replies u stress that Europens and Australians are doing more and better research.If it is soo then why dont we see them ahead of USA.Where ever we talk about tech and research USA seems to be leading or atleast leading in making the final products first.Then why is it soo.
the bulk of my experience obviously lies with australian, US, german and US technologies. My belief is that the US is better at taking things to a commercial level, I found more australian companies in germany and america than I did in Australia. ;)

I wouldn't rate australia highly in energy research at all, we haven't hit the political tipping point where we need to seriously shift the way we consume power. I think the US is "asleep". Once it does waken, then it is like a locomotive - if you want to beat the US in technology advantage, then you have to get them before they wake up and see and then saturate the technology options with their own solutions.

does this make sense?
Yes if one think Patriotically then it does makes sence but other then this no. :)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
thats true, but it is very much a first generation unit - which in current development terms is relatively archaic..

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
those who pioneered doesn't mean they will excel. Look at the cruise missile. The russian pioneered this technology and keep pace the research. the american only coming to CM concept after START with the Tomahawk and ALCM. But look who's ahead.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Awang se said:
those who pioneered doesn't mean they will excel. Look at the cruise missile. The russian pioneered this technology and keep pace the research. the american only coming to CM concept after START with the Tomahawk and ALCM. But look who's ahead.
Actually I think you'll find that the first cruise missiles were German, both the US and Russia reaped a harvest of technology from the Nazis.

The first sub launched cruise missiles were US, the first shipboard were Russian.

I'd argue that the Brits and the French have the best technologies for CM.
The russians have very good concepts which they appear to struggle in bringing to fruition. reliability being a strong negative on their part,

The issue with technology is that the window of opportunity is quite small, the window of advantage is often smaller.
The US and Russia are doing a lot of ICBM work together, US companies like Grumman did a lot of work with Sukhoi so its interesting to see how the world changes.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The americans were trialling a modified V-1 series pulse jets (called the Loon) from submarines in 1948.

It required 2 subs, one did a launch and controlled it for the first 80 miles, then a second sub under the flight path controlled it for the kill in the last 55 miles.

Su_37

gf0012 said:
Part of my responsibility is to look at alternative energy sources, so for the last 12 months I have been travelling to various international strategic and energy related conferences.

What I have noticed is that the British, French, Germans, Chinese, Spanish and the Americans are accelerating development of fuel cell solutions, my observations are:

French - strong focus on micro fuel cells
Germans - strong focus on hydrogen based fuel cells for heavy transport
English - strong focus on fuel cells
Chinese - strong focus on Wind Energy, plus they are hosting the 2004 Fuel Cell Conf
Americans - stronger push on current generation wind energy, the US collectively has more wind projects under development that the rest of the world added together
Spanish - stronger focus on biomass energy generation
Australia, slow push on wind energy, australian fuel cell research is getting more attention in Germany and the US, localised push for vegetable oil and biodiesel solutions for heavy transport

Well can you please tell about Cold Fusion Technology , I thyink An INternation Consortium is woprking on Cold Fusion Technology ,( China , Japanm , US , Russia , France, UK )

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Problem with fusion uptil now is that just to get the required temperatures, so much energy is spent that is hasn´t been economically viable till yet.
I think there is still debate going on as to whether the new fusion reactor should be built in France or Japan.

Su_37

Do you think that Cold Fusion has future ? till what level of sucess they reached , Please post an article on this ...

suleman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
High temperatures are required before nuclei will fuse

Sci/Tech:Should the cold fusion dream die?

By BBC News Online Science Editor Dr David Whitehouse
For a while, it seemed that the world was about to change for ever. One scientist said: "By the year 2000, every household will have a cold fusion power source."

But it never happened.

Exactly 10 years ago on Tuesday, the world was introduced to the concept of cold fusion at a press conference at the University of Utah.

Dr Stanley Pons and Professor Martin Fleischman from Southampton University in the UK said they had achieved fusion in a test tube.

Fusion is the energy source of the stars - the energy that is liberated when atoms combine. In stars, and in prototype fusion reactors, this requires enormous temperatures, hundreds of millions of degrees.

Dirty technology

Yet these scientists said it could be achieved in a test tube at room temperature. They claimed their fuel cell produced four times more energy than went into it.

A new era of energy was at hand. It was a discovery on a par with that of fire, said a scientist at the time.

Only hours later, a supertanker called the Exxon Valdez ran aground in Prince William sound in Alaska. It spilled 11 million gallons of oil. It was a powerful juxtaposition - pollution from currently-used energy sources and the promise of a clean, new future.

In the weeks and months that followed, it became clear that the cold fusion effect that was claimed was not as simple and as straightforward as it seemed. Whatever it was, it was erratic and far from understood. Some said it was not there at all.

Now, a decade later, many scientists and commentators have dismissed it entirely. There are cold fusion conferences, but they attract only enthusiasts and rarely the media.

Impoverished science

This is a pity. Cold fusion researchers feel outsiders in the scientific effort. Mainstream scientists ignore them. The result is that neither camp talks to each other and science is the poorer because of it.

Millions of dollars are still being spent on it and large labs still hope to explain and develop the technology. Cold fusion has had only a tiny fraction of the effort and resources that have been lavished on "hot" fusion research. And we have had virtually no return on that investment.

We should give the cold fusion camp time and encouragement.

We live in a fusion universe. The Sun shines because of fusion at its heart. Likewise the stars are visible at night because of the distant fusion fire.

Our coal will not last forever. Neither will the oil or gas, and there will never be enough wind and wave power for us. Nuclear power based on splitting atoms has its problems and disturbs many.

So sooner or later, we will simply have to tame the power of the stars.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/301893.stm

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Are they any fusion reactor? i thought most of them are fission. fusion require tremendous heat which make it unsuitable for controlled energy source. the fusion aplication is in the H-Bomb.

If we could find a way to make cold fusion works. we can harness power from the oceans.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
My heart tell me that someone is deliberately waylaid the cold fusion research. though what the reason is beyond my knowledge.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don't like subscribing to conspiracy theories - but I suspect you may be right

umair

Peace Enforcer
gf0012 said:
I don't like subscribing to conspiracy theories - but I suspect you may be right
Same here cause the basic principle behind cold fusion seems simple enough to be implemented.Anyhow I have'nt studied physics for 6 years now so I'll leave it at that.

A

Aussie Digger

It's an amazing world we live in. Cold Fusion research is shunned, while car manufactures spend billions trying to gain minute efficiency gains with dinosaurs like the internal combustion engine. Where are tjhe visionaries? Those with the resources to jump into th next level of technology and introduce it into mainstream society?

Frozen Hell

I read somewhere that within next 50-100 years oil would be very hard to find considering the current comsumption rate, especially USA!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
In 1972 they said the same thing. Then they discovered more oil in Russia, then they devised more efficient ways of extracting and refining the oil. When the Soviet Union collapsed progressively in 1989, the US had oil investors going in who bought what the Russians thought were totally denuded oil fields. By using what was then the latest US technologies the US was able to extract more oil out of these fields than when they were at full production swing under Soviet control.

Australia and Timor have discovered huge oil reserves in the Timor Sea

Bottom line - it is finite, but not as finite as all the doomsayers have said for the last 30+ years

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
gf0012 said:
Australia and Timor have discovered huge oil reserves in the Timor Sea
Very interesting indeed. Explains a little bit why the Bush administration is getting all cozy with the mates at down under in the military sense.
Also could be a reason for the quick implementation of U.N. resolutions in East Timor while Kashmir has been waiting for the implementation since 50 years. :( :help

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Good grief, 50 years?? Thats appalling, What has happened to make it stagnate for so long..?