Saudi Arabia & Russia Sign Military Cooperation Agreement

SaudiArabian

The Kingdom and Russia sign agreement

Moscow, July 15, SPA -- Prince Bandar bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, the Secretary General of the National Security Council, and Russian Premier Vladimir Putin signed here last night a military and technological cooperation agreement between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Russia.

The function was attended by Prince Salman bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, the Deputy Secretary General of the National Security Council, Saudi ambassador to Russia Ali Jaffar as well as a number of senior Russian officials.

Speaking on the occasion, Putin highlighted the Saudi-Russian relations, and said they are steadily growing.

On his part, Prince Bandar reiterated the keenness of the Custodian of the two Holy Mosques King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz on further cementing Saudi-Russian relations in the political, military, security, cultural and technological domains.

He noted that the agreement constitutes an umbrella under which the Saudi and Russian institutions can work for the implementation of the joint programs.

Prince Bandar added that he had reviewed with the Russian leadership all matters that serve the mutual interests notably the national security of the two friendly countries.

--SPA
http://www.spa.gov.sa/English/details.php?id=573845

Aliph Ahmed

Banned Member
Start of military equipment diversification ?

Advantages for Saudi Arabia : Can get better equipment/deal from west instead of the downgraded versions by always using this Saudi-Russian arm deal card.

Advantages for Russia : Finally, able to set foot in the GCC. More orders in the offing if they dont screw this deal up.

Advantages for Pakistan: Get to know T-90s inside and out. :D

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Advantages for Saudi Arabia : Can get better equipment/deal from west instead of the downgraded versions by always using this Saudi-Russian arm deal card.

Advantages for Russia : Finally, able to set foot in the GCC. More orders in the offing if they dont screw this deal up.

Why get to know T-90 inside and out, go to the Ukrainians and learn about the T - 84 which I am quite sure that Pakistan and China have already done.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The deal consists of:

100 BMP 3 combat vehicles,

150 T 90 tanks,

160 Mi 17; Mi 26; Mi 35 helicopters.

More political analysis:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2008071...80715163534;_ylt=AlXIM9rVziNCqC2AdCZtLB.aOrgF
I will still have to see it to believe it, *if* they go with it then they will most certainly have a good replacement package for older M-60s, AMX-30s and some of their M113s if they even replace them, supposingly they are in a upgrade process for a sizable number of M113s.

SaudiArabian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The deal consists of:

100 BMP 3 combat vehicles,

150 T 90 tanks,

160 Mi 17; Mi 26; Mi 35 helicopters.

More political analysis:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2008071...80715163534;_ylt=AlXIM9rVziNCqC2AdCZtLB.aOrgF
those number are specualtions only. no deal is signed for weapons.

its not a start. its an old policy of KSA which is practiced for decades. KSA doesn't get any downgraded versions other than some parts on the F-15S , the rest are state-of-the-art weaponry.

are you trying to imply that Pakistanis serve in the Saudi Army or National guard ?

there are none ! :) its a misconception.

AtaSaudi

Waylander and SaudiArabian:

There are no certain (official) information about the deal, but there are many reliable website have revealed some detailed.

----------------

Now, what is the significance of this deal, and how it is going to improve the Saudi capability?

Aliph Ahmed

Banned Member
are you trying to imply that Pakistanis serve in the Saudi Army or National guard ?
Actually, I didnt say that and having seen you vehemently deny the same on other forums, wouldnt go into it either as it will be a off topic.

What I meant was that Pakistanis in the past have always " tested " equipment in arab countries that were also commissioned in Pakistan's neighbouring countries. Mig 21 being one such example. Israel also followed the same policy.

Knowing the characteristics and actually practicing on it is a different thing.

I dont think Saudis will mind Pakistanis practicing on T-90s for a few days. :)

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro

There are no certain (official) information about the deal, but there are many reliable website have revealed some detailed.
These seem to be an offer KSA is considering rather than assured purchase. The list your provided is not something other credible sources can miss out on, especially on T-90s.

eaf-f16

The press release talks about military cooperation, not purchases (although, they will may ensue).

Al-Arabiya news channel reported a couple of hours or so ago that Saudi Arabia was also testing a Russian medium-range air-defense system. It has an English website but it didn't say anything about it. I just saw it on their Arabic channel though.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro

----------------

Now, what is the significance of this deal, and how it is going to improve the Saudi capability?
Ok, thanks.
I think I stay with Eckherl here and wait till I see a real source.
I also only read that this deal is about proposed deals and nothing is fixed.

Time for some tea...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The helicopter deal was confirmed and signed a long time ago. The T-90 deal was supposedly under negotiations. No definite info has come through. The BMP-3 deal I've never heard of before. It seems to small (100?!) to be true. Even the U.A.E. ordered 600.

EDIT: Waylander the yahoo link he provided cites Kommersant and Interfax on the numbers. Not reliable sources. Until we get official confirmation I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Jup, I know of the helicopter deal.

I also think that somebody used it and added some wishfull numbers which might be true but might also never come true.
As you said, if they buy the vehicles the numbers seem small.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The T-90 numbers are credible, especially if the contract includes a potential option for an add-on deal afterwards. The BMP numbers are not.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why are they credible? It is not even enough to replace their AMX-30.
Because it's expensive to procure large numbers of new tanks all at once. 150 would likely the first contract. The Saudi's would get familiar with the tank in depth, and get a chance to see how well it works within their overall system. The contract is likely to include an option for additional tanks, and even if it does not, it would not be to difficult to negotiate another contract. The Indians didn't just buy 1600 T-90's. The bought 310, got kits for anther 1000, and left another 347 in options, which they didn't use until rather recently.

Morever for the Saudi's the T-90 would not just be a new tank, it would be a new type of tank. Maintenance, training, everything would have to be adjusted from scratch. It would make sense for the first delivery to be a small one sort of as a transition. Finally the deal could also be politically significant, as a Russo-Saudi cooperation. In which case the small size would also be understandable.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
When the "T-95", or whatever the next gen. tank is called, hits at least a public demonstrantion then we can talk. Until then it's somewhere up there with PAK-FA exports and Borei-class fleets armed with Bulava missiles.

Chrom

When the "T-95", or whatever the next gen. tank is called, hits at least a public demonstrantion then we can talk. Until then it's somewhere up there with PAK-FA exports and Borei-class fleets armed with Bulava missiles.
And T-90 sale to SA is somewhere up there with US buying SU-30 instead of they beloved F-15. Because of Cobra!