whats the worlds best assault rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegis

AK-47,the best.Even some US troops in vietnam war prefer AK-47 than M-16.It is reliable and pack more offensive with it's 7.62mm projectile.Cos will be heavier than M-16.

A

Aussie Digger

Ak's are heavier than most other assault rifles. They are also inaccurate on either single shot or automatic fire and the wooden "furniture" is affected by moisture. The Russian 7.62x39 "short" round is also ballistically inferior to the 5.56mm NATO round used these days.

On the other hand it is reliable and simple to learn to use. This simplicity is what makes it inferior to other Assault rifles. The G-36 is my personal pick for best Assault rifle. Closely followed by Steyr AUG, M16A2/M4.

This forum however is very subjective and my opinion is no more valid than anyone elses. Particularly given that in Military or Paramilitary service you have almost no choice on the weapons you use. Normally on Specwarops have a choice and that too is limited to "approved" weapons types for msot operations. Cheers.

highsea

I've always been partial to Sig 550's. I like the sight, the built in bipod, and the ergonomics.
Also fond of the G36 and AUG.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Siga said:
AKS 101, a whole better than the M16
and the reason for this is based on what?? try to add some "flesh" to your responses, it makes things a bit more interesting, and if I don't ask, then Web or one of the other Mods will .

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
Ak's are heavier than most other assault rifles. They are also inaccurate on either single shot or automatic fire and the wooden "furniture" is affected by moisture. The Russian 7.62x39 "short" round is also ballistically inferior to the 5.56mm NATO round used these days.

On the other hand it is reliable and simple to learn to use. This simplicity is what makes it inferior to other Assault rifles. The G-36 is my personal pick for best Assault rifle. Closely followed by Steyr AUG, M16A2/M4.

This forum however is very subjective and my opinion is no more valid than anyone elses. Particularly given that in Military or Paramilitary service you have almost no choice on the weapons you use. Normally on Specwarops have a choice and that too is limited to "approved" weapons types for msot operations. Cheers.
Actually the AK is fairly accurate if you fire in single or 2 shots burst. I had the chance of firing the Type-56(Chinese copy of AK-47) when I travelled back to China two years ago. The problem is the heavy recoil of the rifle itself, usually the gun kicks up after the 2nd shot causing the bullet to miss it's target. I think the best engagment range for the AK-47 is about 150 to 200 meters as an experienced marksman will have no problem at hitting his target if he fires in short burst.

As for my personal favourite, it has to be the TAR-21. Compact, light and low recoil makes this rifle a dream come true for many soliders. On the not so bright side, the weapon lacks iron sight. You'll find yourself in alot of sh#t when your reflex sight dies on you during a firefight.

Aegis

Tavor TAR-21 (basic version)

Tavor CTAR-21 (compact version)

Tavor MTAR-21 (micro version)

Tavor-2 - an updated version of the Micro-Tavor MTAR-21 (image source: isayeret.com)

Tavor-OICW drawing - a modified TAR-21 rifle fitted with electronic sighting and fire control unit and tactical data interfaces.

Raven_Wing278

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i prefer the m4 carbine...its light weight,accurate and has manageable recoil alowing longer bursts...but it tends to lose accuracy after a max of 5-6 bursts...

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
For practical purposes, either AK-74M with side-folding buttstock and the scope mounting rail. Basically an improved AK47 with wooden components replaced by plastics ones firing standard issue '5N7' 5.45x39mm ammo. Or AK-101, the same old "AK-47" design with some improvements similar to AK-74M, but using the superior NATO 5.56 cartridge.

Also, but for fun, the Swiss Stgw.57 / SIG 510 rifle. Undoubtedly one of the most finely made military automatic rifles of 20th century, if one of the most expensive, on the long side and relatively heavy.

VICTORA1

Hello guys,
I used to own a Valmet m76 in .308 some 17 years ago. I could shoot bulls eye at 100 yads 3 rds out of 5 without a scope on the firing range. Well, I could not put a scope on it. The rifle was not designed for it.

Now, vietnam war is a long ways off---let us talk about the iraqi affair. The weapon of choice is indeed the AK47. If the american GIs had a choice, the majority would dump their m16 for the AK.

Now going back to the question---it is an unfair one. An equipment is rated for the environment it is used in and if the question was related to iraq, then indeed nothing comes close to the AK's for their reliable performance.

By the way, Valmet was a very highly refined version of the Ak47 made in Finland. The company got taken over by others. Finns make some of the finest rifles---their sniper rifles are the best value for the money.

turin

Whats, in ur oppinion,is the worlds best Assault rifle?M4 carbine
M-16
Ak-47
type95(chinese assault rifle)
bullpup
Sorry but this is a very strange selection of weapons for "best assault rifle" to begin with. :roll
The type95 has a whole bunch of problems over accuracy and overall quality, not surprising for a chinese weapon. Yeah they have improved over the years but can they compete with lets say a H&K manufacturing quality? I dont think so. You may refer to
http://www.sinodefence.com/army/individual/rifle_95.asp
for further details.
Also what do you mean with "bullpup"? That is no individual weapon but a concept of assault rifles (the type95 being just one example).
Given your choices you are lacking some of other more serious contenders in this field, namely the G36, the Steyr AUG, the G3 (despite its age) or various Sig, as well as the FAMAS.

AK-47 is a simple and reliable weapon, also the 7,62mm gives it a good punch, but I would select a G-3 over the AK every day. It gives an even better punch with better accuracy over great distances and is easily maintainable as well. The US-soldiers in Iraq who use the AK-47 would make a good use of a G3.
Well, as Aussie Digger pointed out, a clear evaluation is almost impossible, since nobody has the opportunity to test all the weapons available.
Personally I had the opportunity to use the M-16, the G-3 and the G-36. I would choose the G-36 over the M-16 in terms of handling and accuracy. However the G-3 is in a clas of its own, since it packs more power over great distances. So its the G-36 for urban environment and the G-3 everywhere else for me. However from friends I heard very good things of the AUG as well and I guess its a very fine weapon too.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I've fired thousands and thousands of rounds through Army issue M 16's, both A1 and A2, as well as the M4. They are "good" weapons. I own an AR-15, AK-47 and two SKS's along with 48 other long guns (M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Kar-98, Ariska, Springfield 30.06, Lee Enfield .303 and shot guns gauges 10 through 410 single shot, double barrel, pump, automatic and even 3 that are bolt action. I've also had the opportunity to fire a good variety of automatic rifles from Stoners to various H&K's. I think I have a pretty rounded experience of weapons handling so my thoughts are thus:

M16/M4 family. Nice effecient weapons. They are good, but definately not the best.

AK/SKS- My favorites! Just plain fun to shoot (and 7.62X39mm is uber cheap ammo). Even though I LOVE my AK and SKS, they are junk as far as rifles are concerened. Lots of knock down power, they aren't all that accurate in relative comparison to other assault type rifles, or any rifle for that matter.

H&K. Who can say anything bad about H&K other than price? Everything about them is excellent and IMHO you just can't beat German engineering. I've only fired 2 mags through the G-36 and it was vera vera nice. I've fired many rounds through my buddies G3 and I'd whole heartedly agree the G3 is THE superlative assault rifle,...for me. I'm on the biggish side (6 feet tall, 210 pounds) so the G3 isn't as difficult to control for me as it seems to be for smaller folks. That being said, the G3 is heavy, and humping 200 rounds of 7.62 isn't nearly as easy as humping 200 rounds of 5.56.

For a trained profesional army the H&K is the way to go IMHO, but cost could be a negative factor. For less than professional forces the simplistic, cheap and rugid AK is the optimum choice. Spec War types are going to choose weapons on an entirely different basis than the regular leg infantry unit will. Ultimately, what works for one army may not work for another.

PS: The popularity of the AK in Iraq is due to the M16's (not the M4) length being somewhat of a hinderance to troops in vehicles. They found the smaller AK easier to swing around from within the cab of the Hummer's etc than the M16. There's also a "cool" factor trolling around with a captured weapon.

Aegis

Chinese Type 81 is a v good improve of AK-47,more accuracy and low recoil! At the same time retain the reliablility. Proven in Sino-Vietnam war!

neel24neo

my experience with rifles is limited to just two types- .303lee enfield and 7.62mm FNFAL.FN/FAL is a very good rifle.accurate and with enormous power.i have heard people say that the sheer shock of bullet hitting the body can kill people.guess its heavier than latest rifles though.also,its recoil isnt helpful if you want to fire it full auto,perhaps the reason why most armies operated it in semi-auto.

ThInK TaNk

i think that AK-47 is an average assault rifle nor the best nor worst it is the most common assault rifle i had ever seen and it is the worlds only rifle that has got his name in ginize book of world record may bcoz of its simplicity, some thing like the F-16 fighter cheap but awsome :D:

Paxter

I really dont think the AK-47 is a good weapon... its only 2 perks is its cheep and it makes shit loads of noise... (good for scaring em people in riots)

the only reason american troops choose the ak-47 in the current war is because of its size... and if they ever run out of ammo they can go to some dead insurgant and take his ammo ... unlike the M 16 if they are out of ammo its kinda useless except swinging the thing and clubbing ppl with it...

I forgot the name of this rifle its made by H&K it uses caseless munitions and looks like something that came out from a jap anime movie.. that has some good stats on it no? too bad the ammo is too expensive to make thus making the rifle rather impossible to be use as a standard issue weapon

Raven_Wing278

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yea i heard of the rifle with caselss ammo..its the G-11 and requires some sort of radio chip to operate it
ammo specifications:
During the design phase of the Heckler & Koch G-11 rifle, the realization of a truly innovative weapon system also called for new ammunition technology. Therefore, the only solution was: Caseless Ammunition. Only by combining of small arms with caseless ammunition could real technical progress be achieved. The main features of this cartridge are:

the elimination of the cartridge case
compact design
increased cook-off temperature.
The ammunition's general components are similar to those of conventional cartridges: bullet, propellant charge and ignitor. Configuration and functioning, however, are unconventional as the exterior shape has been adapted to the weapon and its functional requirements. Contrary to the round cartridge cases, the geometry of the propellant body is rectangular so that wasted space which was previously unavoidable when the cartridges were placed in magazines or packages has been eliminated. Moreover, the friction which exists in conventional magazines between the individual cartridges and the walls of the magazine no longer exists. It is not uncommon for this friction to be the main cause of malfunctions in conventional weapons.

The smaller dimensions of the cartridge ensure reduced packing volume and high magazine capacity. The elimination of the case reduces the cartridge weight considerably. The high rate of fire is possible in the 3-round burst due to the combination of a short cartridge and a minimal feed distance.

The propellant body, consisting of a mixture of a crystalline energy medium and binders is designed as an extremely solid and compact block. The burning behaviour of the propellant charge, i.e. the gas pressure curve, is similar to that of conventional ammunition. The average maximum gas pressure is defined as less than 4000 bars (58,000 psi), the muzzle velocity is 930 m/s (3051 fps). All elements of the propellant body and the primer of the cartridge are completely combustible or consumable so that only a minimal amount of combustion residue remains. There is no need for ejection of cartridge cases or anything else. Due to the cook-off temperature of the new propellant charge, approximately 100°C higher than for nitrocellulose powder, a cook-off point meeting the requirements of a new infantry weapon can be achieved.

:D

Technical data
Designation G11 Rifle
Caliber 4.7 mm (.185 inch)
Type of cartridge caseless
Length of weapon 750 mm (29.5 inch)
Width of weapon 58 mm (partially 65 mm)
Height of weapon 290 mm (11.4 inch)
Weight of weapon
including 100 cartridges 3.6 kg (7.9 lbs)
4.3 kg (9.5 lbs)
Barrel length without chamber 540 mm (21.3 inch)
Muzzle twist 155 mm/twist (6.10 inch/twist)
Bore profile polygon
Modes of fire single shot
3-round burst
sustained fire
Theoretical rates of fire:
3-round burst
sustained fire > 2000 rpm
approx. 600 rpm
Magazine capacity 50 cartridges
Combat range > 300 m (984 ft)
Steel helmet penetration up to 600 m (1 969 ft)
Operating principle gas operated
cartridge in the chamber
Bolt principle cylinder bolt

Post Merged

Status
Not open for further replies.