New rifle for Turkish Forces?

Atilla [TR]

I heard that they where replacing the G3's but I have no clue with what? Does anyone know? I saw pictures in the small arms section of this forum of a assault rifle of Turkish design but it just looks like a prototype.

Rythm

Here is a picture of it. MKE is the manufacturer and i think it is obvious where the inpiration came from :D

Atilla [TR]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know it is humilating having other country's designs used, our own country has so many mechanical engineers and gunsmith and we have to use german design but I seriously saw a picture of a prototype in the Small arms section of this forum. It was made by kalipkale.

A

Aussie Digger

Atilla [TR];129407 said:
I know it is humilating having other country's designs used, our own country has so many mechanical engineers and gunsmith and we have to use german design but I seriously saw a picture of a prototype in the Small arms section of this forum. It was made by kalipkale.
Why bother "re-inventing the wheel"?

The UK tried to do so with it's SA-80 assault rifle and despite the presence of one or 2 local engineers with a degree of competence was such an unmitigated disaster they had to turn it over to H&K to get the thing to even a reasonable level...

Why not start with a basically sound design and modify to suit your own preferrences from there?

Atilla [TR]

Why bother "re-inventing the wheel"?

The UK tried to do so with it's SA-80 assault rifle and despite the presence of one or 2 local engineers with a degree of competence was such an unmitigated disaster they had to turn it over to H&K to get the thing to even a reasonable level...

Why not start with a basically sound design and modify to suit your own preferrences from there?
Except what is sad is that there are so many engineers and gunsmith in Turkey, you got to start some where and how do you think the germans started. What I think they should do is modify existing designs and work up from there. Turkey had a lot of rifle designs in the late 1880's and early 1900's then they gave up before Korea and since Korea they have used an outside design.

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Here is a picture of it. MKE is the manufacturer and i think it is obvious where the inpiration came from :D
I wouldn't call this a "new" rifle by any stretch fo the imagination.

It is simply a HK33 upgraded with P-rails, a HK G36 folding stock and magazine.

The HK33 must be a great weapon for the Turks to want to hang on to it.

Stimpy75

now we are currently testing a rifle called Mehmetcik-1,which is very similar to the HK-416,but if it´s a clone or licenced,i don´tknow,perhaps one of you know better

Atilla [TR]

Looks like a combo of a HK416 and a Naimco canadian rifle. But the HK416 is self is the best version of the M4 out there anyway so us Turks took the German design slighty changed it cosmitcally and the germans took it from the Americans. Many people in the U.S wish that the americans would adopt the 416 instead of the M4 because the HK 416 has modifacations in areas where the M4 needs it (Gas Piston).

BilalK

It seems to me that MKE has 2 versions of that assault rifle...in the 1st picture look at the differences between the two on the left compared to the one on the right.

Atilla [TR]

There are 2 different versions of the HK ar style rifles they are chambered for different cartridges. But it looks like both in those pictures are both in 5.56 maybe, MKE did further mods because the one that the guy is holding looks very different, then the HK versions the other do look more hk like.

Stimpy75

the attached grenadelauncher is also very HK-Style,the differences on the left picture are the length of the barrels,the shorter one destined for Special Forces to attach Silencer etc...
But still no one knows if these rifles are licenced or according to MKE 100% turkish made???
anyone who can enlighten me is welcome:)

BilalK

Well it could be a Turkish variant of the HK416...similar to the Colt Canada C7/C8. Let's just hope that the rifle meets the Turkish Army's requirements and enters production. I would certainly like to see an HK416-standard rifle as a mainstay in the Pakistan Army :D

greywolf109

Mehmetchik-1 or HK416???

the attached grenadelauncher is also very HK-Style,the differences on the left picture are the length of the barrels,the shorter one destined for Special Forces to attach Silencer etc...
But still no one knows if these rifles are licenced or according to MKE 100% turkish made???
anyone who can enlighten me is welcome:)
Basically, turkey did not have to aqquire license from HK, the same way the HK did not have to get a license from Colt, although they are exactly the same in when you look at them(which makes both of them a Colt M4 look-alike) . The Turkish version is made of a new metal, known as Inter Alia, which is more resistant to elements(Turkish forces in the mountains will be happy to here this i suppose).

Inter Alia is also lighter and does not expand as quick as other metals when heated, which is good for long firefights i would guess...

Although HK have given them the OK to produce the rifle without any legal complications(they wont sue, for external appearance similarities)...Anyone here who has any legal knowledge would know that if it were licensed it would use the name HK416, not Mehmetchik-1..MKE and HK have been long time partners and it would take an immense amount of bad happenings to seperate the duo...HK even gave MKE the design prints for the HK416-417.

But MKE gave something back in return, a new type of bullet, not different caliber but bullet, apparently, when it discharges, the gunpowder burns from the front to the back, thus, leaving ver little dirt in the barrel, an innovation in bullet design in HK's opinion, but not in mine, it is more of an upgrade than an innovation in my opinion

Atilla [TR]

Just something here that sniper is not a HK design at all I have in fact never seen an AR 15 converted sniper ever look like that. I also heard that the Turkish army bought 9 000 or these for testing and if it goes good they are going to replace all the G 3's. I think the original 9 000 are going to a few groups in the army for field testing. Except i am wondering if the Turkish army is going to use the 417 version with the 308 round or the 416 with the 5.56 because I know that the Turkish army knows that the 308 much better stopping power.

Stimpy75

thx greywolf for your explanation:D
NOW my unrest is over thx to you:D
that inter alia is it sth with BROM and Steal?will google for that when i have time
Atilla do you mean this rifle,the T12, which is a sniper version of the G33
why it´s in 5,56 i don´t know,i thought we would have select that PSG-1/MSG-90 look alike.......:confused:

Stimpy75

Atilla [TR];129565 said:
No the one in the background of the first picture you posted stimpy.
aah, that´s the JNG-90 Sniper Rifle developed for the Jandarma,it´s in 7,62 mm and claimed to be superior to the UK AI-L96,pictures of the prototype of this rifle can be seen at Ahmet[TR] user gallery of the IDEF 2007 and you are right,it has nothing to do with HK, it´s home built!!

Last edited:

greywolf109

Atilla [TR];129558 said:
Just something here that sniper is not a HK design at all I have in fact never seen an AR 15 converted sniper ever look like that. I also heard that the Turkish army bought 9 000 or these for testing and if it goes good they are going to replace all the G 3's. I think the original 9 000 are going to a few groups in the army for field testing. Except i am wondering if the Turkish army is going to use the 417 version with the 308 round or the 416 with the 5.56 because I know that the Turkish army knows that the 308 much better stopping power.
That sniper rifle is 100% Turkish designed and produced, JNG 90, google it...looks sweet, not sure about the 417 however i know there are romours spreading that it will be the designated marksman rifle, but that is a rumour??

greywolf109

Atilla [TR];129558 said:
''Turkey bought 9,000 of the domestically produced variant Mehmetcik-1 for trials''(wikipedia quote)