New rifle for Turkish Forces?

Yasin20

Atilla [TR];146165 said:
Well, along with protection comes with disadvantages, like loss of mobility and more weight meaning more strain on our soldiers. But when defending outposts and what not it could help. I asked various people and they said Turkey uses vests, and there are pictures overall they are not common.
yeah these days there should be newer and better bodey armoure more mobility and protection

Burunsuzoglu

picture of Mehmetcik-1
and what's wrong with the G3, now these fancy 5.56 are OK for the shooting range but you shoot a guy in the head and he'll carry on shooting back, now shoot a guy in the arm with a 7.62 and he'll be in shock and bleeding to death before he can pull the trigger.

Jigs

and what's wrong with the G3, now these fancy 5.56 are OK for the shooting range but you shoot a guy in the head and he'll carry on shooting back, now shoot a guy in the arm with a 7.62 and he'll be in shock and bleeding to death before he can pull the trigger.
Nothing wrong with the G3...its an awesome rifle and accurate too. Its outdated though and does need replacement. The HK416 is a very reliable rifle and as far as caliber goes the 5.56 is kinda the trend now days with most of the Nato armies adopting the caliber. I think it will still get the job done even if it doesn't have the impact of the 7.62...not to mention the round is more accurate and has less recoil in general.

Burunsuzoglu

Nothing wrong with the G3...its an awesome rifle and accurate too. Its outdated though and does need replacement. The HK416 is a very reliable rifle and as far as caliber goes the 5.56 is kinda the trend now days with most of the Nato armies adopting the caliber. I think it will still get the job done even if it doesn't have the impact of the 7.62...not to mention the round is more accurate and has less recoil in general.
That's the problem, Vietnam and Fhaluja have shown it doesn't; with the M16 you need a clear shot whereas with the 7.62 you just shoot straight through the trees and brick walls.

Jigs

That's the problem, Vietnam and Fhaluja have shown it doesn't; with the M16 you need a clear shot whereas with the 7.62 you just shoot straight through the trees and brick walls.
I do agree with you that we still need to keep the 7.62 caliber...especially in areas such as Northern Iraq where it would be a big help. I believe we make the HK416 under the local name of Mehmetçik-1. We could pretty easily make the HK417 (7.62) which is the big brother of the HK416 in its 12 inch barrel configuration...but we will see how this all works out.

Burunsuzoglu

I do agree with you that we still need to keep the 7.62 caliber...especially in areas such as Northern Iraq where it would be a big help. I believe we make the HK416 under the local name of Mehmetçik-1. We could pretty easily make the HK417 (7.62) which is the big brother of the HK416 in its 12 inch barrel configuration...but we will see how this all works out.
Then why not stick to tried and tested 7.62 fixed butt G3, one of the best assault rifles out there with combination of accuracy and hard punch, it would make economic sense?

Jigs

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjW52acGbfg"]YouTube - " Mehmetçik-1 " MKE'de üretildi ve %100 Yerli Üretim (Gun)[/ame]

Here is a video of various HK416 setups that will be adopted (2010 will be the year may be sooner though). The sniper rifle in the video is called Tufan-80(mentioned in this thread) and is based off of the HK MSG90. Also the JNG 90 is being produced with input from Gendarmerie General Command and tests have proved that it is more accurate then the 640 UK Accuracy International sniper rifles that were Purchased in 06. The sniper rifle has a average MOA of 0.3.

Last edited:

Jigs

Then why not stick to tried and tested 7.62 fixed butt G3, one of the best assault rifles out there with combination of accuracy and hard punch, it would make economic sense?
Your right, it would be a lot cheaper but the fact of the matter is that its old and turkey is looking for more advanced weapon systems for its soldiers. The HK416 is superior to the G3A7 currently in service because of how its internal design is and how no heat stress is put on almost none of the internal parts when firing making the weapon less likely to jam and last longer. Also it has a higher rate of fire as well as being lighter. Don't get me wrong the G3 is great but it just isn't up to par with the newest HK weapons..

Also the G3's standard combat weight is with 5 20 round magazines compared to the 7 30 round M4/M16 style magazines...thats 110 extra rounds...

Last edited:

Burunsuzoglu

Your right, it would be a lot cheaper but the fact of the matter is that its old and turkey is looking for more advanced weapon systems for its soldiers. The HK416 is superior to the G3A7 currently in service because of how its internal design is and how no heat stress is put on almost none of the internal parts when firing making the weapon less likely to jam and last longer. Also it has a higher rate of fire as well as being lighter. Don't get me wrong the G3 is great but it just isn't up to par with the newest HK weapons..

Also the G3's standard combat weight is with 5 20 round magazines compared to the 7 30 round M4/M16 style magazines...thats 110 extra rounds...
I have to agree the G3 is prone to jamming on rapid fire; however this was due to lowering of build standards, hence the reason 70's vintage weapons were sought after items of kit in the 80's early 90's. So the logic would be to bring the build standards to their previous levels.

Weight is always a factor, but have you tried running at full steam with these newfangled rifles, give me a heavier but well balanced rifle like the G3 every time.

As to your point regarding the number of rounds by your own admission it takes around 5 rounds to achieve the effect of one 7.62, I will leave you to do the maths.:

Jigs

I have to agree the G3 is prone to jamming on rapid fire; however this was due to lowering of build standards, hence the reason 70's vintage weapons were sought after items of kit in the 80's early 90's. So the logic would be to bring the build standards to their previous levels.

Weight is always a factor, but have you tried running at full steam with these newfangled rifles, give me a heavier but well balanced rifle like the G3 every time.

As to your point regarding the number of rounds by your own admission it takes around 5 rounds to achieve the effect of one 7.62, I will leave you to do the maths.:
Even if build standards were increased i still doubt the G3 will surpass a 416. It is probably a option we considered but it would still mean keeping a very old weapon system still in service. Turkey constantly is trying to have the most advanced and up to date equipment and keeping the G3 will go aganist that, even if it is still a effective weapon. Somethings about the G3 will be missed of course but by adopting this new weapon system, it will be a step forward rather then back for us. Regardless, from what it looks like we made our decision and i do believe its a good one. :D

Burunsuzoglu

Even if build standards were increased i still doubt the G3 will surpass a 416. It is probably a option we considered but it would still mean keeping a very old weapon system still in service. Turkey constantly is trying to have the most advanced and up to date equipment and keeping the G3 will go aganist that, even if it is still a effective weapon. Somethings about the G3 will be missed of course but by adopting this new weapon system, it will be a step forward rather then back for us. Regardless, from what it looks like we made our decision and i do believe its a good one. :D
M14 v M16 & British SLR v SA80 - need I say anymore

Jigs

M14 v M16 & British SLR v SA80 - need I say anymore
What is your point ? The M14 took up a DM role (too heavy and full auto was uncontrollable) and the M16 took its place.The HK416 cant be beat, its a large improvement over the M4 and is also a improvement over the aging G3 that almost all major nato countries stopped using like France, Uk, and Germany(Replaced it with the smaller caliber and lighter G36) see the trend ?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
(70s) German G3 jam next to never, at least when used with the right ammunition.
Rapid fire as in high-repetition semi-auto, or on full-auto?

Germany is increasingly reissuing the G3, in particular the G3ZF "sniper" version, as a DMR; additionally, pretty much all recruits still get at least weapon introduction and some shooting on the G3 in addition to their standard G36.

Yasin20

yeah it is better if you think money whise as well you dont have to replace all that ammo the army needs to yous if there was a choice i would say its the hk417