best special forces

Status
Not open for further replies.

pezfez

i think the us navy seals r the best, simply b/c they have all the high tech gadgets and weapons plus experience and training, though i understand the english sas r equally as good.

on a side note, who do u guys think is better? us navy seals of us army delta force?

mysterious

I think US Navy Seals and Delta Force are two different units specializing in different areas and so a comparison would be unfair. Apart from the US Special Forces; of course the British SAS and the Australian SAS are equally capable and I leave the rest for Gary and Aussie Digger to fill in. :smokingc:

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
ok i seen this kind of thread in other forums dozen times. There is no best, only SOF that suit one's operational requirements. You simply cannot compare SEAL teams with Green Berets, because their primary mission is different. And even though SOF from different nation has a similar mission role, their training, doctrine, and equipment is different from each other and therefore cannot be judged unless one is proven to be the most effective in combat. I'll list some of the SOF around the world for you and specify their primary mission.

CT=Counter Terror, SR=Strategic Recon, DA=Direct Action
UW=Unconvential Warfare, CA=Civil Affairs, PSYOPS-Psychological Ops

Alfa Team-CT, DA (Russia)
Spetznaz-DA,SR,UW (Russia)
Delta-CT,DA (U.S)
SF Airborne-UW,CA (U.S)
SEAL-DA,SR (U.S)
SAS-CT, DA,SR (Britain)
SBS-DA,SR,UW (Britain)
SASR-CT, DA,SR (Australia)
JTF-2-CT, DA,SR (Canada)
Unit 777-CT,DA (Egypt)
GIGN-CT (France)
13 RDP-DA,SR (France)
GSG-9-CT (Germany)
KSK,-DA,SR (Germany)
GROM-CT,DA (Poland)
Sayeret Matkal-CT, DA, SR (Israel)
Paras-DA, SR (India)

There are plenty more, but these are the more well known ones. Hope my reply helps you to understand that this kind of comparison won't go anywhere except causing arguements in the forum.

insas556

Right, every op for these guys is special and all the operators are special . You get too smug or I am the big boss type you end up dead. All Spec .ops have their successes and failures. The thing is train, train, train and learn , learn , learn. I real life there are no guarantees.

yasin_khan

no name of any Pakistani group.thats not fair.i think Pakistanis are also standing in that list and no Israelis???????? :?

A

Aussie Digger

I'm a bit patriotic at times (though very restrained compared to some of the people on these boards, :smokingc: ) but the Australian SASR, man for man, is the best and most successful specwarops unit in the world at present.

adsH

Aussie Digger said:
I'm a bit patriotic at times (though very restrained compared to some of the people on these boards, :smokingc: ) but the Australian SASR, man for man, is the best and most successful specwarops unit in the world at present.
Abit patriotic, we left out the daddy's of the SP forces British SAS :D:,am not bragging but SAS are some of the best trained SPFs in the world.

A

Aussie Digger

SAS are normally very good, but they've had their stuffups. Bravo 2 Zero ring any bells? I can't think of any such widely known problems with SASR... ;)

adsH

Aussie Digger said:
SAS are normally very good, but they've had their stuffups. Bravo 2 Zero ring any bells? I can't think of any such widely known problems with SASR... ;)

SAS are called in for work alot more so some one should assume that they would have more incident happening with them. and the media these days its harder to control the flow of information like traditionally they might have.

A

Aussie Digger

SASR do a lot more than will ever be publicised too...

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Ok since adsH and AD wants to compare SAS with SASR so much I'll list the
known operations they participated in within 2 decades.

SAS
-Iranian Embassy 1981
-Continuing operations in Northern Ireland
-First Gulf War 1991-1992
-Operation Barras Sep. 10th 2000
-Afganistan Campaign 2001-Present
-Second Gulf War 2002-Present

SASR
-First Gulf War 1991-1992
-Asistance to Indonesia Mid 1980's-Present
-Somalia 1992-1993
-Recon ops near Iraqi border 1998
-Afgan Campaign 2001-Present
-Second Gulf War 2002-Present
*In the mid-1980's, a member of SASR was killed by terrorist, the entire unit spent several years hunting the group of militants down.

I do have to mention the fact that SASR originally copy their trainings and doctrines from SAS. Even though several decades have passed, they still maintain close ties with their British counterpart. Hell, they even have the same motto and insignia.

adsH

Pathfinder-X said:
I do have to mention the fact that SASR originally copy their trainings and doctrines from SAS. Even though several decades have passed, they still maintain close ties with their British counterpart. Hell, they even have the same motto and insignia.
Technically they're still her Majesty's Forces, they serve the same Monarch, so you'd expect a alevel of similarities. Amazing how Aussie's, Brits and Canadians find a sense of Brotherhood.

A

Aussie Digger

In actual fact Pathfinder SASR's main operating procedures were entirely self developed. Yes SAS and SASR share very close links, however SASR was formed in 1957 from members of the Reserve 1 Commando Regt. It was originally called 1st SAS Company. The procedures followed on from the independent commando companies that Australia operated in WW2 (Z force etc) and were maintained by 1 Cmdo so as not to lose all corporate knowledge of specwarops. After 1 SAS Coy operated for several years it was formed into a 2 Squadron Regiment, along the lines of 22nd SAS, and took the more familiar shape it possesses today.

As to their Ops, 22nd SAS has also operated in Bosnia for years, whilst SASR also operated in Rwanda, Cambodia and East Timor on UN missions and has conducted numerous boarding operations in support of Australian Customs, Fisheries, Australian Federal Police etc. I'm not aware of a member of SASR being killed by any terrorist organisation in the mid 80's...

Just a word on the Unit's capabilities too. SASR operates the full spectrum of Special Operations missions, but has a tendency to focus more on small unit ops (despite Iraq and Afganistan more recently). Australia's new 4RAR Commando will in future be used as the "main force" specwarops unit with SASR concentrating more on it's strategic recon role. Cheers.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I've spoken with a few "operators" (US) in the past about this very subject and they unanimously and without exception said SAS were the finest out there. That's not to say other formations aren't equally or even more formidable owing to resources, political intent etc, which leads to another point. The spec war community normally carries out it's duties in the shadows and well away from CNN cameras. Usually when you hear about a particular mission it's because it went awry. There are numerous actions that occur throughout the world on any given day, the fact that none of us are aware of them is demonstrative to what the spec war community is and does. Hard to gauge success when it's not very often made public.

A

Aussie Digger

Fantastic, the gas used by the Russian's killed half the hostages. A 50% survival rate is good is it?

moughoun

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Pezfez, the simple answear isto go to Specialoperations.com they have almost evry know sf unit, that is the only ranking you need, they are not football team's, and quiet frankly it would insult them if you treated them as such ;)

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
Fantastic, the gas used by the Russian's killed half the hostages. A 50% survival rate is good is it?
50% survial rate?? I don't know where you got this from. Originally almost 800 hostages was held by about 50 rebels. After the gas was pumped in the CT operators assaulted the building. All but 1 of the rebels were killed in the assault, along with 16 hostages due to direct gunfire. The SF team itself suffered 3 dead, and about a dozen wounded. Later because the Russian government failed to inform the hospitals the composition of gas resulted in the death of 174 hostages, and their death is not directly related to Alfa team but rather the slow response of Russian government.

Soldier

Deltared075 said:
No speacial in other nation ever did such excellant job, not even the US.
And not only that, US was so keen to know how those Spetznaz did this seemingly impossible job. All US media was apparently stunned telling this news how those special forces using ? type (Go figure) of gas successfuly got what they wanted. It was a lesson for special forces all around the world to take a clue from Spetsnaz, how fine they still were.

Status
Not open for further replies.