JSF v EuroFighter in AA combat

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
hopefully we will never know! both a/c will be supported by awacs, so think the stealth of JSF "may" give it the edge to give it first look,first volley! with the decoys and ECM that the typhoon operates, more than one shot will be required for a kill regardless of the platform engageing it.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
In normal ways it's really the question who is detected first by the enemy AWAACS or ground radar station and is able to fire its AMRAAMs.
If it comes to a dogfight the F-35 should try to escape like it is the same with every other primary AA fighter which it is facing. The F-35 should try to get bvr kills despite going into dogfight with an EF, F-22, Su-30, MiG-29, etc.

Marc Aurel

Concerning flight parameters, the EF will ouclass the JSF, as its climb rate, turn rate and especially its supersonic abilities are superb. When equipped with directed thrust engines in the future, EF will probably be the best manned dogfighting machine on earth (and probably the last manned one built). The only advantage JSF has is stealth, which can be pretty decisive, as long as there is no technology to beat it. But consider this is just a matter of time. Also i read that JSF stealth technology is not the best, because it just misses bandwith ranges of more modern radar systems, like the EF has, for sure. Thats because JSF cost has to be limited with the lots of customers in view, not like for F-22 Raptor, which is just cutting edge for the highest price tag possible.

I would say, outcome of AA-Combat between JSF and Ef ist just a matter of tactics and circumstances, both have their distinctive advantages. But nobody can tell for sure, i guess.

meh

old faithful said:
hopefully we will never know! both a/c will be supported by awacs, so think the stealth of JSF "may" give it the edge to give it first look,first volley! with the decoys and ECM that the typhoon operates, more than one shot will be required for a kill regardless of the platform engageing it.
i think the JSF might be better because it is able to hover and can stop in midair causing the typhoon to fly ahead and that would give the JSF an advantage and it would perhapes be able to shot the typhoon down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc Aurel

Remember this is only possible with the Marine/UK Version and I dont think it would be a good idea as it takes a while to stop and hover, the plane would also be an easy target and difficult to maneuver, take a while to recover speed if attacked and at least one cannot say if it is possible with a full combat and fuel load, same as the Harrier Jets, which jettison fuel and heavy weapons before making an vertical touchdown on the carrier.

JWCook

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ultimately its a sensor/range war, Does the Typhoon have CAPTOR or CAESAR, is it supported by AWACS, Does the JSF have the offensive range that METEOR will give??.

It boils down to can the Typhoon detect and engage the JSF before the JSF can launch an AMRAAM at the Typhoon and escape.

This depends on a whole heap of things, the RCS/Thermal footprint/Aspect of the JSF, the on/off board sensors used by both, ROE, its not a simple equation.

What is the JSF's stealth tuned for???? ground based radars or airborne??, there are always design compromises, whats the JSF's primary mission (given the F-22 is AtoA).

Finally what version of JSF is it?
Bill Sweetman (Janes) said:-
While there is no Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) export 'variant' as such, it is apparent from a review of open sources that it would be practical to deliver JSFs in different configurations with different signatures to match national operational requirements documents, protecting US and UK aircraft from any compromise of their own low-observable (LO) systems.
Hmm no 'export variant' just 'export variants' :confused::dodgy

To sum up.. depending on the situation and circumstances both are likely to win, But the art is in fighting when circumstances favour your aircraft.

Cheers

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
JWCook said:
Finally what version of JSF is it?
Bill Sweetman (Janes) said:-

Hmm no 'export variant' just 'export variants' :confused::dodgy
I just recieved an invite to the next Stealth Conf in London - Bill Sweetman is a guest speaker - so it would be interesting to see what he says. Unfort I can't attend as I'll be tied up doing stuff in Germany.

maybe you should get along ;) if you're interested I'll send you the details.

JWCook

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I'd love too.... But - I'm afraid the wife might object to me selling the children for the airfare.. :(.

Would they consider moving it to Oz...:)
After all the rumour was we were providing a rather large playground for the UK to test stealth 'stuff'...

Cheers

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
one point that people are forgetting in this JSF stealth capabilities,even if the opposing platform,s radar can see through the JSF,s stealth, can the radar of its bvr missile? i.e can meteor,R77 see the JSF?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
JWCook said:
After all the rumour was we were providing a rather large playground for the UK to test stealth 'stuff'...
Well, considering that BAEa are responsible for managing Woomera and for making it a commercial success - I'd guess that the odds are higher.

The amount of Hypersonic missile testing alone in the last few years has quadrupled. The Ewarfare people are always dribbling around as well. ;)

A

Aussie Digger

By the time the JSF is in-service, far more effective and longer ranging AMRAAM variants are due to be in-service as well. The AIM-120D for instance has a planned IOC of 2008 and features amongst other things a 50% increase in range over the latest AIM-120C-7 variants, giving AMRAAM a range of around 150k's, which should make the JSF competitive against most other aircraft, particularly when it's stealth and LPI AESA radar are taken into account.

In relation to the Typhoon's planned TVC and AESA radar upgrades, well Tranche 3 haven't been funded yet and possibly won't. JSF won't have TVC engines, but will be fitted with a developed version of the F-22A's radar, fro the getgo. It "should" have a significant advantage in detection ranges over most other radars because of this...

JWCook

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It was my understanding the F-22 was to have a 'developed radar' from the JSF!!!.

The front end MMIC's at least.!.
As cost of the first generation MMIC's were very high and cooling is a big factor.

Cheers

A

Aussie Digger

From a quick trip "round" the net, the F-35A's, APG-81 radar is a development of the APG-77 from the F-22. Both are built by Northrop Grumman and are AESA, "LPI" style radars with "agile beam steering" capability.

Here's a quick quote from airforce-technology.com

RADAR

Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems is developing the advanced electronically scanned array (AESA) AN/APG-81 multi-function radar. The AN/APG-81AESA will combine an integrated radio frequency subsystem with a multifunction array. The radar system will also incorporate the agile beam steering capabilities developed for the APG-77. Northrop Grumman delivered the first radar to Lockheed Martin in March 2005 for flight testing."

Some "experts", Messir's Kopp and Goon included, state that this radar will only be about 2/3rd's as capable, due to a supposed reduced "radar module count" using "same generation" TR modules. Nevermind that the APG-81 has benefited from roughly 10 years of development work on the APG-77 by the SAME manufacturer...

Nevermind that the upgrades planned for F-22A have since been canned for cost reasons, etc, etc...

Big-E

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What would be the JSF's best altitude to engage a EF? To score a BVR kill will JSF be able to pick up EF before they are detected?

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
From a quick trip "round" the net, the F-35A's, APG-81 radar is a development of the APG-77 from the F-22. Both are built by Northrop Grumman and are AESA, "LPI" style radars with "agile beam steering" capability.

Some "experts", Messir's Kopp and Goon included, state that this radar will only be about 2/3rd's as capable, due to a supposed reduced "radar module count" using "same generation" TR modules. Nevermind that the APG-81 has benefited from roughly 10 years of development work on the APG-77 by the SAME manufacturer...

Nevermind that the upgrades planned for F-22A have since been canned for cost reasons, etc, etc...
While the APG-81 is a development of the APG-77, the -81 has a smaller aperture than the -77, and therefore potentially less 'grunt'. However, alot of the -81's backend improvements in software and hardware which allow for more robust ECCM, better communications, reliability and target discrimination will flow back to the F-22 in spiral developments...if indeed these go ahead! As long as F-22 production flows over into a new presidential administration, there's still a hope I guess!

Magoo

Last edited:

Marc Aurel

JSF vs. EF

The whole question is kinda esoteric. It just cannot be answered right now and maybe never will. All the specifical tech speculations are just that, speculations.

contedicavour

Typhoon is more in the same league as F-22, not JSF...

The Typhoon is primarily an air-to-air fighter, so its competitor would rather be the F-22 than the JSF, which is supposed to be primarily a ground-attack fighterbomber.
As rightly stated in this thread, if a JSF were to be attacked by pure air superiority fighters such as the Typhoon or recent versions of the SU27, its role would be to escape and try to finish the bombing raid...

I believe in dedicated-purpose planes, either fighters or fighter-bombers. Multi-purpose planes will never be comparable. An F-16, arguably the best multi-purpose of all, will never match a F-15C or a SU-27 in air-to-air beyond visual range combat, nor a Tornado IDS (after MLU) in very-low-altitude bombing night attacks, for example.

cheers

adsH

It's probably worth saying it here, If USAF JSF and RAF Typhoons were put into a battle and pitted against each other. I would guess both units would have a similar networking capabilities and similar AEW supports, so i would say the Stealth factor may not be an advantage when the Typhoon moves in closer for the kill :shudder