Iran to buy SU-30MK

nero

which version of the su-30mk is iran buying ???

has any deal been signed yet ??

or just preliminary talks just going on ??

Scorpius

like as if they have got the money.hasn't Russia said they won't begiving the Iranians anything other than air defence systems?

Incognito129

Banned Member
Says they are close to a deal. Lets not get delusion with wishful thinking. Russia are the ones supplying Iran with nuclear power.

swerve

Super Moderator
Where ever I seen it people where taking news with high probability ( but lesser planes mostly 100 - 150 )

but here is Israel report on this .. confirming

http://www.debka.com/headline.php?hid=4449
Debka posts a lot of speculation (e.g. it's currently suggesting that the USA may be considering selling F-22 to Saudi Arabia), & it is strongly suspected that some of its sources have political agendas. Is Israel trying to get US money for new aircraft? Or missiles? A Debka story is not "confirmation" of anything.

Iran may or may not be negotiating with Russia for Su-30s. I see nothing inherently improbable in Iran wanting to buy them, nor in Russia being willing to sell them. But I find the number incredible.

Last edited:
It doesn't forbid States from selling to Iran but i am pretty sure most States see it that way. Seems like this is an alarmist article from the usual suspects.

SECURITY COUNCIL RESOLUTION 1747

6. Calls upon all States to exercise vigilance and restraint in the supply, sale or transfer directly or indirectly from their territories or by their nationals or using their flag vessels or aircraft of any battle tanks, armoured combat vehicles, large calibre artillery systems, combat aircraft, attack helicopters, warships, missiles or missile systems as defined for the purpose of the United Nations Register on Conventional Arms to Iran, and in the provision to Iran of any technical assistance or training, financial assistance, investment, brokering or other services, and the transfer of financial resources or services, related to the supply, sale, transfer, manufacture or use of such items in order to prevent a destabilising accumulation of arms;
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2007/sc8980.doc.htm

Incognito129

Banned Member
My guess is Russia is more than willing to sell. Weve seen them sell nuclear power which is the whole reason for Iraq in the first place.

Theyll probably use this as leverage against the US, but who knows how far itll go.

All the signs that Russia will sell are there. No reason not to think this.

qwerty223

Whats wrong with numbers.. Iran praticly has no airforce...
Never mind about the exact number, eg no one cares if India gona get exactly 126 MRCA. It only means that Russian sales in going brighter and brighter, while Iran is serious, and building their power gradually.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
But I find the number incredible.
True. I could see Iran buying 20-30, or maybe even up to 60-80 SU-30s.
Definitely not 250.

As in, enough to replace their F4 and F14 squadrons with a modern frontline fighter. The rest of Iran's airforce is a far more likely candidate for replacement with either much cheaper indigenous designs or license-produced aircraft (eg their Mirage F1, MiG-23, F5, Chengdu F-7), or is far too "capable" (i.e. not largely grounded) with their current equipment (MiG-29, Su-24) and not any candidate for immediate replacement.

Money & trained personnel.
Iran's overall defence budget is somewhere between $4 and 6 billion, so even 60 Su-30s would not be very likely within the next 2-3 years - those 60 would cost Iran in excess of $3 billion to $4 billion, including some necessary training and support.
And Iran, due to their situation, doesn't really do stretched-out long-term contracts with spread-out payment. 250 Sukhois would easily exceed $10 billion - before the logistics contract needed as well would even kick in. With support, it's more like $12-15 billion. Next to impossible for Iran to finance.

qwerty223

Definitely not 250.

As in, enough to replace their F4 and F14 squadrons with a modern frontline fighter. The rest of Iran's airforce is a far more likely candidate for replacement with either much cheaper indigenous designs or license-produced aircraft (eg their Mirage F1, MiG-23, F5, Chengdu F-7), or is far too "capable" (i.e. not largely grounded) with their current equipment (MiG-29, Su-24) and not any candidate for immediate replacement.

Iran's overall defence budget is somewhere between $4 and 6 billion, so even 60 Su-30s would not be very likely within the next 2-3 years - those 60 would cost Iran in excess of $3 billion to $4 billion, including some necessary training and support.
And Iran, due to their situation, doesn't really do stretched-out long-term contracts with spread-out payment. 250 Sukhois would easily exceed $10 billion - before the logistics contract needed as well would even kick in. With support, it's more like $12-15 billion. Next to impossible for Iran to finance.
True indeed. And even i predict most probably a total of 60-80. Maybe not in cash, but world trade is too sophisticate to describe by just cash.

russian fighter have better capability at the same times they dont have good electronic devices
Thats the criticism until few years ago. In fact, even the Russian origin is not up to world class standard, on board equipment are now open for foreign firm. I see bright future in them.

Viktor

Definitely not 250.

Well in 90-ies Iran has ordered about 10 Bin of Russian weapons with even smaler defence budget , defence budget means nothing... Because of USA preasure and false promises Russia rejected and stoped delivery of weapons with Iran. After that iran has being for years ordered from Russia only minor thing not realy accountable and Tor-M1 and Pechora-2A was firs bg Russia-Iran bussines after 90-ies fijasco in whitch Russia regain Irans trust as credible arms suplyer. So I dont see why such fuse about it .

Besides Algeria/Sudan all paied for Russian weapons in oil, Thailand wanted to buy Su-30 with thousands of tons in chickens so why would Iran ritch in gas and oil be worried about its paymant if it wants those weapons?

Viktor

@ Viktor
This deal seems Improbable IMO. Has there been any reports of it in the Russian press?
Im not compleatly sure will this deal come to life or not... just saying that Iran badly needs efective airforce and can buy it... we will just have to waite for a while

The thing no Teheran nor Moscow has not confirmed anything means nothing ... remember Tor-M1 situation ...