XM8 Lightweight Assault Rifle

Gray_R

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
From what I've heard (Army Times), the XM8 was never perfected/adopted. I would like to know if anyone has heard differently, with an article to prove it. Also, the last I personally read in the Army Times, the XM8 was put on hold because it did not meet the LMG requirements.

I'm in the New Mexico Army National Guard (NMARNG), and one of my friends said that his unit got to test them out, but he didn't give me any definative answers. From first-hand accounts (from Natick), the XM8 could not hold it's zero for more than 90 rounds.

I know for a fact that FNH USA has been awarded a contract for "Indefinate delivery, indefinate quantity," (www.fnhusa.com) to produce the Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR), after the SCAR prototype "exceeded all requirements," (www.fnhusa.com). From what I've read in magazines, the SCAR has completed its prototype phase, and is starting to see action overseas, but the official FNH website has not mentioned, this.

If anyone can has heard differently and can cite the information, let me know.

zoolander

The OICW was never perfected. the xm8 should be coming to a battalion near you very soon. It been at numerous gun exhibitions and there are videos of field testing online.

It needs very light and since its plastic or some kind of polymer it should be cheap

MajorProblem

Last time I checked, the XM-8 was "indefinetly suspended" back in Oct. 2005 I think. This is almost always a precursor to full cancellation. It seemed like a cool weapon, though. And yes, they had problems with the LMG version because it couldn't accept a belt feed, among other things.

I think that simply improving the M-16, M-4, and possibly the M-14 should work fine. Remember, the ones we have now are far deadlier than those toys we had back in Vietnam.