WW2 German Army Question?

LancerMc

I am looking for some help in identifiying an item. Currently I am interning at museum and recently we were gifted items from a man who served as an tank officer during WW2. One of the items that was gifted is a German Army canvas bag. It's green in color, small (8x6 in), has two snap buttons and marked with the letters like this

Z.m.P.
bvu

Would anyone be familar what this or know the what the letters in German represent? Any help would be greatly appreciated since we are baffled in what it was used for? Thanks

Falstaff

After scanning various german databases I wasn't able to find them, sorry. Seems to me they aren't neccessarily military abbreviations. Perhaps you could ask Waylander, he is a tank guy (although "contemporary" :))

Falstaff

It would be helpful if the letters were written by hand or were printed on the bag pointing to an official abbrev.?

TrangleC

I think most official military equipment was labeled with numbers and according symbols. I still got some small items from my grandfather and even the razor blades he used on board of his motor torpedo boat during WW2 have the symbol of the old german navy and a item number punched in them.
So if there is nothing like that, it's likely it is just a personal item and the letters could just be the initials of the owner.

LancerMc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The letters were stamped onto the canvas bag just above an stamped seal of the germany army. I hope that helps.

Manfred

Sounds like a bag for some type of optical gear.

All magor German Industries were designated by 3-letter abreviations. I do not have access to the data base, but it is a matter of record. Hope that helps!

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Sorry but I have no idea.
Not even a little bit.

But if you could upload a photo of it I could ask some guys who might know better. :)

Thos

I am looking for some help in identifiying an item. Currently I am interning at museum and recently we were gifted items from a man who served as an tank officer during WW2. One of the items that was gifted is a German Army canvas bag. It's green in color, small (8x6 in), has two snap buttons and marked with the letters like this

Z.m.P.
bvu

Would anyone be familar what this or know the what the letters in German represent? Any help would be greatly appreciated since we are baffled in what it was used for? Thanks
bvu is the manufacturer's code for "Kuhlman, Franz, Werkstatten fur Prazisionsmechanik u. Maschinenbau, Hauptwerke Wilhelmshaven." This info from "Liste der Fertingskennzeichen fur Waffen, Munition und Gerat" published by OKH Wa Z 2 in 1940 and reprinted by Karl R. Pawlas, Nurnberg in 1977 as ISBN 3 - 88088 - 214 - 2.

LancerMc

Thos, Thanks for the information it is greatly appreciated. :D I am sure it will help us find out what the case was for. Our local museum doesn't have a lot of resources to find out that kind of information.

Hawkins2k4

bvu is the manufacturer's code for "Kuhlman, Franz, Werkstatten fur Prazisionsmechanik u. Maschinenbau, Hauptwerke Wilhelmshaven." This info from "Liste der Fertingskennzeichen fur Waffen, Munition und Gerat" published by OKH Wa Z 2 in 1940 and reprinted by Karl R. Pawlas, Nurnberg in 1977 as ISBN 3 - 88088 - 214 - 2.
Additionally the markings Z.m.P. could have been those of the soldier's unit, as some units stamped their equipment upon it reaching the armory.

But I am actuaklly wondering, you said you're in a museum and there is a museum in Prague that I visited dedicated to the history of the Jews, particularly the holocaust. The museum is called the "Zidovske Museum V Praze", their initials are Z.M.P., is it possible you have come by an old article of theirs, as some museums, (including the one I curate for in Ontario) do stamp their articles.

In fact we have two canvas bags from Canadian troops in WW2 that are probably almost identical to yours despite the difference in countries of origin, and we have HMMH stamped on the front, (why they stamped the front I don't know, I feel it takes away from the genuine article, but they did that before I ever got here); The fact that the stamp is there seems to always be more of a question maker than, as people are always trying to find a regiment of Canada that has the initials HMMH and when they can't they ask the staff. Thats when we tell them it means "Hamilton Museum of Military History". Your bag could possibly be the same deal.

You can find the museums website here http://www.jewishmuseum.cz

LancerMc

Vestalon, I think you got it. The bag the museum in the collection is nearly identical in shape and size with expeception of the stamp on the bag. Thanks everyone for your help. :cheers

artyandy

Z.m.P.
bvu

I have one the same letters on the case, the following is information I found from one site
"Luftwaffe Navigator's Instruments in Issue Case - Marked on canvas K.W.27 and manufacturer's code bvu indicating the set was made by Franz Kuhlmann of Wilhelmshaven. The case has a fitted interior containing 4 perspex instruments marked with manufacturer's code, Waffen eagle and swastika and dated 1941. One is named Nadel-Zahlen and features an inset dial marked Fliegeruhr (pilot's watch); this instrument has a small crack, but still displays well. The rectangular instrument is marked Zielgevierttafel, indicating a target designation grid and was no doubt used to help calculate the bomb run. The set is completed with 2 small square instruments marked with kilometre distances on the edges. A rare cased set. Case measurements 9" x 7.25" (23cm x 19cm)"

and then I have some other information wrote by LT. Samuel J. Tobin, FA

if you will type into search the word zielgevierttafel you will find more info.