Will UNIFIL Fight Hizbollah to prevent Hizbollah State?

metro

I was just reading this article, regarding Hizbollah asking Iran if they can take S. Lebanon (like Hamas in Gaza), now that most Lebanese troops are fighting in the north.

1) Will the UN/EU/UNIFIL fight Hizbollah to keep Hizbollah from forming its own state or withdraw and allow Hizbollah their own "State"?

2) Same question except, would UNIFIL fight alongside Israel?

3) Will UNIFIL leave it up to Israel?

Here's the article (i have to C/P it as the site is PWP/Subscription... Cited at bottom of the post-- Mods, just let me know if I need to add anything, thx):

Hizbullah asks Teheran to approve Hamas-like takeover of southern Lebanon

The Iranian-sponsored Hizbullah has been impressed with the Hamas takeover of the Gaza Strip. The question debated within the Lebanese movement is why not do the same thing in Beirut?
For the last year, Hizbullah has been in a standoff with the pro-U.S. government of Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Siniora. Hizbullah thought the Siniora government would collapse in late 2006 when hundreds of thousands of Shi'ites surrounded government buildings downtown in a demand to make the movement the chief partner of the prime minister.

But somehow, with backing from Saudi Arabia and the United States, Siniora survived and most of the Hizbullah supporters got tired and went home. In May 2007, Hizbullah sought to undermine the Siniora government in the Al Qaida-aligned insurrection in northern Lebanon.

Hizbullah has supported Fatah Al Islam politically and logistically. Still, Siniora has maintained control.

Then came last month and Hamas proved how in one blow it could win power without a fuss. Hizbullah commander in southern Lebanon, Nabil Qaouk, has been urging his superiors to approve a military operation that would make the area from the Litani River to the Israeli border a de facto Hizbullah state.

The operation would be simple as most Lebanese Army troops have left the south to fight Fatah Al Islam in the north and protect government installations in Beirut.

But Hizbullah needs Iran's permission and in Teheran it is not known when approval for such an operation might be given. Syria is believed to think differently and a decision could be made within a few months.

Geostrategy-Direct, www.geostrategy-direct.com, July 11, 2007

T-95

I was just reading this article, regarding Hizbollah asking Iran if they can take S. Lebanon (like Hamas in Gaza), now that most Lebanese troops are fighting in the north.

1) Will the UN/EU/UNIFIL fight Hizbollah to keep Hizbollah from forming its own state or withdraw and allow Hizbollah their own "State"?

2) Same question except, would UNIFIL fight alongside Israel?

3) Will UNIFIL leave it up to Israel?

Here's the article (i have to C/P it as the site is PWP/Subscription... Cited at bottom of the post-- Mods, just let me know if I need to add anything, thx):

Hizbullah asks Teheran to approve Hamas-like takeover of southern Lebanon

The Iranian-sponsored Hizbullah has been impressed with the Hamas takeover of the Gaza Strip. The question debated within the Lebanese movement is why not do the same thing in Beirut?
For the last year, Hizbullah has been in a standoff with the pro-U.S. government of Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Siniora. Hizbullah thought the Siniora government would collapse in late 2006 when hundreds of thousands of Shi'ites surrounded government buildings downtown in a demand to make the movement the chief partner of the prime minister.

But somehow, with backing from Saudi Arabia and the United States, Siniora survived and most of the Hizbullah supporters got tired and went home. In May 2007, Hizbullah sought to undermine the Siniora government in the Al Qaida-aligned insurrection in northern Lebanon.

Hizbullah has supported Fatah Al Islam politically and logistically. Still, Siniora has maintained control.

Then came last month and Hamas proved how in one blow it could win power without a fuss. Hizbullah commander in southern Lebanon, Nabil Qaouk, has been urging his superiors to approve a military operation that would make the area from the Litani River to the Israeli border a de facto Hizbullah state.

The operation would be simple as most Lebanese Army troops have left the south to fight Fatah Al Islam in the north and protect government installations in Beirut.

But Hizbullah needs Iran's permission and in Teheran it is not known when approval for such an operation might be given. Syria is believed to think differently and a decision could be made within a few months.

Geostrategy-Direct, www.geostrategy-direct.com, July 11, 2007
Every post you sound more and more like an Israeli to me. You say your American but are you sure you have no connections with Israel what so ever?

Anyways if Hizbullah tries to make Lebanon theirs the UNIFL soldiers will probably be withdrawn as soon as it happens. Israel will probably bomb Lebanon stupid (civilians and militants alike), possibly invade Lebanon permanently (this could lead to a larger conflict) and setup bases there. All this if the US doesn't get to it first.

metro

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Every post you sound more and more like an Israeli to me. You say your American but are you sure you have no connections with Israel what so ever?

Anyways if Hizbullah tries to make Lebanon theirs the UNIFL soldiers will probably be withdrawn as soon as it happens. Israel will probably bomb Lebanon stupid (civilians and militants alike), possibly invade Lebanon permanently (this could lead to a larger conflict) and setup bases there. All this if the US doesn't get to it first.
1) RE: ME
Yes, I am 100% american... I say it, said it, and mean it because it's the truth... hey, I could even be President of the USA someday. No, I'm 100% not Israeli. I was born at Sinai hospital--it's no longer in business-- down in the "D" (AKA. "Detroit" for those who might not know what an "american sounds like"?!?!). I was raised just north of the infamous "8 Mile" Rd. (free tip: if you're from out of town and are driving down 8 Mile for a couple hours and still haven't found 9 Mile, turn north... don't get out of your car in the wrong area and ask for directions, where defensetalk won't work;) )... ummm, I went to boarding school here (boarding was/is optional depending on where you live) here in MI, where in HS I met several kids who grew up in SA. I turned out they were almost all "americans," but their parents worked for the oil industry over there (my intro to the ME). I guess, once they were of HS age, the deal was that the kids could go anywhere they wanted in the world for HS, and many of them came each year to michigan. BTW, the HS is located on 16 Mile ("8 Mile" x 2 = Very nice place... I'll tell you anything you want to know about Eminem too, if you're interested, I worked with him for a long while and remain friends... he's been having some problems though ever since his boy got capped in the head, outside of a club/disco --D12 "Proof"). I mean (trying to think of things about living life in MI)... we have one of the largest Muslim population outside the ME here (Dearborn).

I went to UofM where I studied Political Science: int'l relations and the ME. I guess this is where I have an Israeli link; I travelled with a prof. (not Israeli, Jewish, or white... wow) who was part of R. Reagan's NSC (so yeah, I know more than I wish I did about things like I-Contra and the reason those from DC are always saying, "pardon me"?... with some other students from UMICH, G-Town, Syracuse, Penn, etc... spent time traveling throughout the ME and lived in the region for an "entire year" (all of us, lived mostly in Israel because of "security reasons," but we pretty much went everywhere for a good amount of time). That's about as good as it gets:rolleyes: I guess I could tell you stories about all 5 to 6 million (or however many Jews live in Israel) mossad connections I now have, but I could also tell you stories about all the alien abductions (what do you prefer)? I've been fortunate to travel the world pretty extensively (although that's for "real life" or work), always on a US Passport too! If you want, you can ask the mods where my IP address is from (i give them permission to narrow it down to a state)... And if I haven't given you enough about me, I don't believe in god... now, i just ruined my Israeli connections, Arab connections, connections in the Vatican, and I probably can't be the President of the USA anymore (ooops);)

If you have any other questions about me or my "connections" (i can get you pistons tickets--in season-- or an autographed music album...), feel free to ask. You can even tell me who I sound like...

It's AG (all good)!! :)

2) RE: Thread
I'm not sure I understood your response correctly so I don't think I can add anything.:unknown
I was wondering what people think the response might be by UNIFIL to what is laid out in the article.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It might help to read the UNIFIL mandate first. It answers your questions, both with regard to Hisb'Allah and to Israel.

Also, there isn't any resemblance between South Lebanon and Gaza, from a deployed-potentially-opposing-forces-to-Hisb'allah view of the situation.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
what does the UNIFIL consist of?both ground and naval and anti-aircraft forces?
UNIFIL currently consists of 13,225 soldiers (plus 600 civilians). Among these are:

A UNIFIL-dedicated naval taskforce with:
- 5 frigates
- 2 corvettes
- about 10 patrol boats
- about 25 helicopters, some operating out of Cyprus

Roughly 8,000-10,000 men ground forces, including:
- a Nepalese Gurkha light infantry battalion
- a Spanish Marines motorized infantry battalion
- an Italian Marines Regimental Battlegroup with a company of Centauro B1 tank destroyers, a mechanized infantry company, a light infantry battalion and several light artillery batteries
- a French Regimental Battlegroup with a mechanized infantry battalion, a company of Leclerc MBTs, and a SPH artillery battery with counterbattery radars, and MANPADS for air defense.
- several other company-sized infantry components from other nations

British and French airbases in Cyprus could (and would) supply air support if needed.

Rest are engineers, EOD personnel, staff, logistics and so on.

contedicavour

My oh my it's not our business to fight Hizbollahs unless they attack us.
The mission is confusing enough since we are supposed to keep peace between several countries & factions : Israel, Hizbollahs, the regular Lebanese government, and the smaller militias such as the fanatics holed up in Tripoli in northern Lebanon.
Besides, the Shi'ites behind Hizb. don't want a state of their own, they are trying to build a wide enough network of support from pro-Syrian groups to chase out the main Sunni-Christian coalition in power.

The one thing the countries behind UNIFIL should do however is rearm and train the regular Lebanese army. Seeing them operate around the fanatics' refugee camp in Tripoli is not really reassuring, a few hundred mainly conscripts with refurbished M113s and some mortars is far from enough.

cheers

metro

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My oh my it's not our business to fight Hizbollahs unless they attack us.
The mission is confusing enough since we are supposed to keep peace between several countries & factions : Israel, Hizbollahs, the regular Lebanese government, and the smaller militias such as the fanatics holed up in Tripoli in northern Lebanon.
Besides, the Shi'ites behind Hizb. don't want a state of their own, they are trying to build a wide enough network of support from pro-Syrian groups to chase out the main Sunni-Christian coalition in power.

The one thing the countries behind UNIFIL should do however is rearm and train the regular Lebanese army. Seeing them operate around the fanatics' refugee camp in Tripoli is not really reassuring, a few hundred mainly conscripts with refurbished M113s and some mortars is far from enough.

cheers
I'm 100% with you on the mission... what are you supposed to do (they have you standing there)? Reading the resolutions, mandates, follow up reports, if it weren't so sad it would be comical that the UN higher ups actually publish something that would get a failing grade. I mean, a real Prof. would hand the stack of paper back to you with a, "re-submit seriously or don't waste my time (lives, money)." But those people up in NY are getting paid nicely to impose the impossible. Anyway, I have a whole lot of respect for the Soldiers who are over there, IMO, it's a damn shame that the "UN" isn't serious.:rolleyes:

1st, I think we can agree that whatever 1701 says, Hizbollah still exists, is re-armed, and is operating in S. Lebanon?!

My question regarding the article a couple others that are similar that I've read, and a few people i've heard from is that, Hizbolla really wants to take S. Lebanon ASAP (while most of the ill equiped Lebanese Forces are in the north). I just think they don't know where to start. Launch Katushas into Israel (Haifa) and you're in the middle of a big problem (I don't know if you're there now). Hizbollah might start "messing" with UNIFIL soldiers, thinking UNIFIL will just pack up and leave (I don't know the answer to that one) and then just take S. Lebanon. I'd imagine we'd see a war like last year.
I'm not sure if UNIFIL is set-up to fight with Israel if either of the two happen?

One big mess!

And yeah, Iran/Syria/Hizbollah/friends, would love to just take over the Lebanese Gov't. But there are a lot of countries trying to make sure that doesn't happen, and if it did, the "UN-NY" would take a big hit politically. How are they relevant?

If you're there, stay safe!
All the best no matter what!

contedicavour

It is my understanding that in fact the Hizb. already control most of Southern Lebanon and are very visible with their social activities (often covering for their militias). I'm not sure they actually want an official recognition as rulers in the place, after all all observers already know the Beyrouth govt can't do anything in the south without the hizb' blessing.

Unfortunately if the Hizb start again a shooting war with Israel all the Unifil can do is pack up and leave trying to limit casualties. It is certainly equipped well enough to fire back even at Israeli mech brigades (the Centauro, Leclerc MBTs, and the M109L heavy artillery can wreck the Merkavas) but hell why should it ? The whole point is helping to maintain peace, not to keep the territory against marauding Hizb or Israeli army forces.

cheers

UN resolution 1701 accomplished its main goal which was to end the war. Everything else in it was never achievable unless the bigger issues in the region are solved.

Incognito129

Banned Member
I doubt it. If you recall the Israel incursion into Lebanon failed.

It basically comes down to pro-Israel lobbyists vs the general American public. Whoever wins will dictate American policy regarding that.