Which of these objects is an RWR?

STURM

Can anyone help explaining which of these objects is the radar warning receiver [RWR]? The one at the very top of the vertical stabiliser facing aft or the one lower down a bit facing forward and if one is a RWR, what is the other? Thank you.

STURM

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why not both as RWRs. You need 360° coverage.
You've got a point, it never occured to me that both might be RWRs.

Would this mean then, that the Hawk 200 in the pic below does not have 360 coverage?

And can you spot where the RWRs on the Su-30MKMs are located? I can't spot them.

Spudman, thanks for the interesting link.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know enough about the plane to be sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's some kind of RWR gear in that big stinger between the exhausts on the Sukhois...

STURM

Don't know enough about the plane to be sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's some kind of RWR gear in that big stinger between the exhausts on the Sukhois...
That's where the drag chute is located. The Su-30MKMs have wingtip EW and a MAWS but I can't seem to figure out where the RWR is. In fact come to think of it, I don't think I've seen any Russian built planes that have RWRs fitted on the horizontal plane/stabiliser, similar to the ones in the pics showing the Hawk and the MBB-339.

Off-topic but have you seen the pics taken by the RAAF on Bersama Padu 2010? Some great pics there!

http://www.defence.gov.au/opEx/exercises/bersamapadu10/gallery.htm

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Modern RWR antennas are tiny blades, small discs (roughly the diameter of a tennis ball) or even surface mounted. Typically there will be an antenna for each quadrant and there may also be one each for top and bottom coverage. The larger type as in the pic is from a bygone era.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It varies widely. On the F-16 and F-18 you can see a small bulge on the side of the fuselage just behind the radar, these are RWR antenna. Likewise on the vertical stab on the F-4/16/18 you can see an elongated teardrop shape, those are RWR antenna. Some aircraft have antenna embedded into the shape and aren't readily visible. As an example, in the photo of the Tornado you posted there is a black shape on the leading edge near the root of the wing, this could be RWR antennas as this is a location for them on other airframes.

STURM

Thank you, that was very helpful! It's kind of surprising isn't it that the MBB-339 [pic posted], which was produced in 2006 has such a large RWR. Would you agree with what My2Cents about why there are 2 antennas, for the 360 coverage?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Tornado depends heavily on the version.

ARI.18421 on F.3 and GR.4 is mounted in the wing roots as described. The original RWE was mounted there too, still on Italian IDS and ECR. Italian Tornado IDS/ECR MLU iirc add some sort of ventral mount with AR-3 in addition to replacing the wing root receivers. German IDS ASSTA nowadays carry a double receiver each on the forward and trailing edges of the horizontal stabilizer, a forward ventral double receiver under the cockpit and a double-finned external low-band antenna mounted behind that.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thank you, that was very helpful! It's kind of surprising isn't it that the MBB-339 [pic posted], which was produced in 2006 has such a large RWR. Would you agree with what My2Cents about why there are 2 antennas, for the 360 coverage?
Yes I would agree. I don't know why a newer design would have such a large array, there may be more than one antenna housed in it. Even then RWR antennas aren't very big devices to begin with, imagine a soda can only half as tall and those type have been around 30+ years. Is it possible that the device is an active jammer in conjunction or in lieu of?