What technologies/systems/designs from DDG1K Should be kept.

Belesari

What technologies from the DDG-1000 should be kept and adapted to the next generation of surface combatants. Are there anything that it didnt have you felt it should?

I'd just like to hear what others think about the Zumwalt. My own feelings are mostly negative on the subject but a few positive.

Juramentado

What technologies from the DDG-1000 should be kept and adapted to the next generation of surface combatants. Are there anything that it didnt have you felt it should?

I'd just like to hear what others think about the Zumwalt. My own feelings are mostly negative on the subject but a few positive.
It's a bit too early to be asking that question. So far, only some major weapons systems slated for Zumwalt have a track record that would likely be used in future combatants; namely ESSM and Tomahawk. Otherwise, everything else, AMDR (which replaced the original dual band spec), Mk. 57 VLS, the AGS, the long range shells, tumblehome hull and a lot more is all new tech that doesn't have a real-world baseline yet.

If you want to know what direction the future tech is going, pay close attention to the development work immediately following Zumwalt - namely, the Arleigh Burke NEWCON generation (about 5 hulls), and then the Arleigh Burke Flight III. Both restarts will be receipients of cascaded technology from the Zumwalt. But unlike the DDG-1000, they will be operational much sooner because of the maturity of the HM&E.

Belesari

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a bit too early to be asking that question. So far, only some major weapons systems slated for Zumwalt have a track record that would likely be used in future combatants; namely ESSM and Tomahawk. Otherwise, everything else, AMDR (which replaced the original dual band spec), Mk. 57 VLS, the AGS, the long range shells, tumblehome hull and a lot more is all new tech that doesn't have a real-world baseline yet.

If you want to know what direction the future tech is going, pay close attention to the development work immediately following Zumwalt - namely, the Arleigh Burke NEWCON generation (about 5 hulls), and then the Arleigh Burke Flight III. Both restarts will be receipients of cascaded technology from the Zumwalt. But unlike the DDG-1000, they will be operational much sooner because of the maturity of the HM&E.
Yea i've heard the Zumwalt couldnt mount SM-3's so i dont know if there will be alot of difference in its armament.

Juramentado

Yea i've heard the Zumwalt couldnt mount SM-3's so i dont know if there will be alot of difference in its armament.
I don't know that it could or could not use SM-3s. Presumably it could because AMDR is supposed to be available once Flight III Burkes are being built, based on the recent DDG-51 Program Management report. But the point of Zumwalt was (at last check) to provide Naval Gunfire Support as well as fill the role of the defunct Arsenal Ship concept. So a lot of the major fires will be oriented towards Strike capability instead of AAW. It could carry SM-3s to help bolster BMD capable hulls, but seems redundant given the total number of Burkes being retrofitted plus the construction restarts following the Monsoor completion.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer

Just wanted to point something out. AFAIK tumblehome hull-forms are not actually "new" technology, rather they have not really been used much in the last century. IIRC some of the early "dreadnoughts", the steel-hulled coal-fired steamships that began to appear in the post-(US) Civil War period and were the precursors to the battleships of WWI and WWII, had tumblehome hull-forms. Due to stability issues, the tumblehome ended up being abandoned for the more stable raked bow.

Time will tell what, if any of the various subsystems become considered a "success". IMO the ESSM will likely be dropped in the near future, with preference being giving to a similar/newer missile likely utilizing elements of the AMRAAM, since ground-launched versions have already been developed. The Standard missile is likely to continue receiving further development, particularly since some of the newer/larger versions are IIRC set to be deployed from land-based SAM batteries in place of some of the smaller ABM interceptors. In terms of a workable version of the AGS, it would be "nice" to accomplish that, however so far a really workable version has not been achieved. The question really would centre on whether the issues which have prevented success outweighed by the need for such a system. So far, it appears that the developmental problems have been sufficient relative to need to preclude a successful design. I suspect though that once a breakthrough has been achieved, it will also lead to development and rationalization of land-based artillery systems, to allow use of a command muntion and depending on methodology, charging system.

-Cheers

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Just wanted to point something out. AFAIK tumblehome hull-forms are not actually "new" technology, rather they have not really been used much in the last century. IIRC some of the early "dreadnoughts", the steel-hulled coal-fired steamships that began to appear in the post-(US) Civil War period and were the precursors to the battleships of WWI and WWII, had tumblehome hull-forms. Due to stability issues, the tumblehome ended up being abandoned for the more stable raked bow.
The tumblehome is a horrible hull design stability wise. I've seen several articles where various NAVSEA engineers have stated that was the most difficult hullform they have ever worked with. One of the main criticisms of the hullform is that it will be less stable if for whatever reason the ship starts to flood.

Time will tell what, if any of the various subsystems become considered a "success". IMO the ESSM will likely be dropped in the near future, with preference being giving to a similar/newer missile likely utilizing elements of the AMRAAM, since ground-launched versions have already been developed. The Standard missile is likely to continue receiving further development, particularly since some of the newer/larger versions are IIRC set to be deployed from land-based SAM batteries in place of some of the smaller ABM interceptors. In terms of a workable version of the AGS, it would be "nice" to accomplish that, however so far a really workable version has not been achieved. The question really would centre on whether the issues which have prevented success outweighed by the need for such a system. So far, it appears that the developmental problems have been sufficient relative to need to preclude a successful design. I suspect though that once a breakthrough has been achieved, it will also lead to development and rationalization of land-based artillery systems, to allow use of a command muntion and depending on methodology, charging system.

-Cheers
I don't think AGS in its current for has a future, it is very big, very heavy and the ammo is much more expensive than planned.
I think most of the combat system and the engineering plant will be salvaged from this white elephant of a ship.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
One of the main criticisms of the hullform is that it will be less stable if for whatever reason the ship starts to flood.
You mean like if someone starts shooting holes in it? Hardly an ideal trait for a warships whose primary role is supposed to be NGFS.

I don't think AGS in its current for has a future, it is very big, very heavy and the ammo is much more expensive than planned.
What did they expect when they started designing what is effectively a launcher for barrel missiles and which cannot fire conventional ammunition?

I think most of the combat system and the engineering plant will be salvaged from this white elephant of a ship.
The IEP propulsion (like that in the T45 and QE class carrier, would hopefully drag the USN kicking and screaming into the 21st century in terms of propulsion. SPY-3 is similar in concept to Sampson isnt it? And I thought they just had an Aegis derivative for their combat system?

I think they need to either

a) not build them but carry the lessons learnt forward to the next destroyer/cruiser class, or
b) build them and utilise them as full scale technology demonstrators (technology demonstrators that will have probably cost more then the F-35 development program :lol2).

Juramentado

I think they need to either

a) not build them but carry the lessons learnt forward to the next destroyer/cruiser class, or
b) build them and utilise them as full scale technology demonstrators (technology demonstrators that will have probably cost more then the F-35 development program :lol2).
It's too late to cancel the class - contracts have been signed, monies have already been paid and spent - there's a lot of work underway at Raytheon and Caderock. The litigation around the not building it would be awful and immense. Heck, Nunn-McCurdy didn't stop JSF or the LCS, so this one's damn the torpedos...

Belesari

What about a Trimarran hull? And if we are just going to have a 5incher on the deck why not just get rid of the gun altogether on most destroyers and just build a NSFS destroyer or cruiser similar to a updated Des Moines?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
What about a Trimarran hull? And if we are just going to have a 5incher on the deck why not just get rid of the gun altogether on most destroyers and just build a NSFS destroyer or cruiser similar to a updated Des Moines?
Actually if one looks back, the idea of removing the main gun from frigates/destroyers has been done already. The RN did it on the (Type 22) Broadsword-class frigate prior to the 1982 Falklands War. After then end of the conflict, and as a result of operational experience (re)gained from it, later batches of the Broadsword-class were fitted with the standard Vickers 4.5" naval cannon used by the RN.

Apparently the RN had removed the gun since it was felt at the time that it was no longer necessary. Given that in later batches a main gun is present, it would suggest that the idea of a gun is not yet dead. Particularly given what advanced 5"/127 mm rounds are capable of.

-Cheers

Juramentado

Hmm - history repeats itself? That's the kind of thinking that occurred in the late 60s and early 70s when aviators said the gun is dead, long live the guided AA missile. :) Then came Vietnam and the F4s had to start mounting SUU gun pods because they were getting jumped by Frescos and Fishbeds that retained decent internal cannons.

A good sized caliber cannon is eminently useful in SuW. Let's face it, even in OOW, most navies are thinking about what it takes to complete the mission. Is a missile really needed when a gun will do? Do you expend a mulit-million dollar round or fire a couple of shells worth a thousand bucks each? Stores management and cost matter. If it's a major surface combatant and you want it dead right now, sure, pop off those Bulldogs. Otherwise, if it's a small boy - why waste the missile? Knock him out with the forward 57mm mount.

It seems silly to think about costs in times of warfare, but the reality is that we will never see the prolifigate expenditures that characterized WWII ever again. Efficiency and cost management now reign equally with lethality in the mind of the warfighter when they're about to pull the trigger.

Belesari

Hmm - history repeats itself? That's the kind of thinking that occurred in the late 60s and early 70s when aviators said the gun is dead, long live the guided AA missile. :) Then came Vietnam and the F4s had to start mounting SUU gun pods because they were getting jumped by Frescos and Fishbeds that retained decent internal cannons.

A good sized caliber cannon is eminently useful in SuW. Let's face it, even in OOW, most navies are thinking about what it takes to complete the mission. Is a missile really needed when a gun will do? Do you expend a mulit-million dollar round or fire a couple of shells worth a thousand bucks each? Stores management and cost matter. If it's a major surface combatant and you want it dead right now, sure, pop off those Bulldogs. Otherwise, if it's a small boy - why waste the missile? Knock him out with the forward 57mm mount.

It seems silly to think about costs in times of warfare, but the reality is that we will never see the prolifigate expenditures that characterized WWII ever again. Efficiency and cost management now reign equally with lethality in the mind of the warfighter when they're about to pull the trigger.
Ok well the 5in just cant do the job and the AGS looks to be as bad fiscally as a missile......what just face the facts and redesign for a larger gun system?

And yes i know about the gun fiasco in vietnam. However the question it posses though is how does a gun enhance a ship at the cost of missile paylaod etc...

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Ok well the 5in just cant do the job and the AGS looks to be as bad fiscally as a missile......what just face the facts and redesign for a larger gun system?

And yes i know about the gun fiasco in vietnam. However the question it posses though is how does a gun enhance a ship at the cost of missile paylaod etc...
In terms of "footprint" within a ship, a 5"/127mm seems to take up ~the same amount of space as an 8- or 16-cell Strike length Mk 41 VLS. However, it is capable of firing far more than just 8 or 16 missiles (or even 32 or 64 if Quadpacked ESSM). IRRC the magazine can hold something like 700 rounds. Granted the missiles can deliver more ordnance quickly, if need be a gun can deliver more ordnance over time and at lower costs.

Also a gun can provide both anti-ship, naval gunfire support and anti-aircraft roles. A single type of missile would be hard pressed to deliver all three capabilities, and would not be able to do so cheaply or in the same volume. If a captain only had 16 warshots available to him, he would need to be quite careful in this choice of targets which could be to the detriment of the ship and/or mission.

-Cheers