what kind of disasters take place by using WMD's and how can people survive such wars?

lamdacore

hi people! i was just wondering that humanbeings have managed to make WMD and are ready to use them to defend themselves as a last option. i want feedback on what you think the effectives of using such weapons would be and the methods of how people can survive these kind of wars. also, assume that the numclear conflict is probably over but how do those people defend themselves from future invading armies after everything is destroyed?

Please give reasonable responses and tit for tat discussions!

thnx

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Anthrax was first used as a weapon of war in 1917 by the Finnish resistance against the germans
Japanese used chemical weapons against the chinese in the late 1930's
WW1 saw gas used by all sides
Germany unfortunately experimented on the jews in WW2
All sides experimented on their own troops when atomic weapons were evolving as they were quite oblivious of the imoact and side effects until the early 60's. Live cargo experiments were conducted by all nuke powers right up to the early 1970's.

There are ways to protect oneself from such weapons, but they are quite demanding and intensive in the way that they can be used. They fundamentally require extensive infrastructure support and are only effective for a limited period of time.

There are some sites which are nuclear fallout proof, but not to a sufficient scale to protect the entire population.

BTW, more people have been comprehensively killed in WW1 by chemical weapons than any atomic strike.

This is a complex issue, and has been a problem for close to 100 years, to even try and restrict it to a common military point in time is rather cute if not remarkably disingenuous.

lamdacore

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
it is pretty surprising to know that a lot of people died in WW1 by chemical weapons than any atomic strike. but i think i should narrow my question, you see that in WW1 the overall casualties were from the entire world and not just single battle arena. however, lets assume that WW3 broke out all over the world and nuclear conflict started, then there is a chance that more people will die than in WW1. in a situation like that how can one then protect him/her self?

also, i think that chemical & biological weapons don't have a large radius than compared to Nuclear Weapons. please correct me on this issue?

so do we dig tunnels like the americans during the cold war or what? cause i plan to build a house which can save me for these kind of scenarios.

thnx

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
lamdacore said:
it is pretty surprising to know that a lot of people died in WW1 by chemical weapons than any atomic strike. but i think i should narrow my question, you see that in WW1 the overall casualties were from the entire world and not just single battle arena. however, lets assume that WW3 broke out all over the world and nuclear conflict started, then there is a chance that more people will die than in WW1. in a situation like that how can one then protect him/her self?

also, i think that chemical & biological weapons don't have a large radius than compared to Nuclear Weapons. please correct me on this issue?

so do we dig tunnels like the americans during the cold war or what? cause i plan to build a house which can save me for these kind of scenarios.

thnx
There's quite a bit of stuff on the net. I do know some companies that are involved in building government fall out shelters, but they are enormous buildings, more or less the size of small cities underground.

It gets down to basically where you live and how real the threat risk is. It's also questionable as to how effective they could be depending on circumstances.

There is a danger in over reacting to some of the threats, but I'd say that on the day that this occurs (if it occurs) a reaction would be dramatically swift and precise.

The other issue is that these facilities are enormously expensive, and do require substantial technical expertise to construct. So they are not easy to "home build" either.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
I think an underground basement (with concret walls, preferabley RCC, reinforced concrete, lined) would be good for surviving the shockwave of a nuclear blast, provided that you are out of the central zone where everything just melts up.
Problem is the radiation fallout which effects the whole area. Unless you have like thick lead walls in the basement and its like hermatically sealed from the outside world and carries its own clean water and food supply, it will be difficult to survive the fallout.

Another way could be to store lead suits in your basement and wear them quickly after the shockwave and initial blast. Then just start walking away from the point of impact.

Just my 0.02€

Roger Smith

lamdacore said:
hi people! i was just wondering that humanbeings have managed to make WMD and are ready to use them to defend themselves as a last option. i want feedback on what you think the effectives of using such weapons would be and the methods of how people can survive these kind of wars. also, assume that the numclear conflict is probably over but how do those people defend themselves from future invading armies after everything is destroyed?

Please give reasonable responses and tit for tat discussions!

thnx
By using WMD, we have seen Hiroshima & Nagasaki in Japan, which was 50 years ago. But the situation will be far worse now! :mad

adsH

shamayel said:
I think an underground basement (with concret walls, preferabley RCC, reinforced concrete, lined) would be good for surviving the shockwave of a nuclear blast, provided that you are out of the central zone where everything just melts up.
Problem is the radiation fallout which effects the whole area. Unless you have like thick lead walls in the basement and its like hermatically sealed from the outside world and carries its own clean water and food supply, it will be difficult to survive the fallout.

Another way could be to store lead suits in your basement and wear them quickly after the shockwave and initial blast. Then just start walking away from the point of impact.

Just my 0.02€
you would need an architect to design such a structure i bet its really complicating when actually tried. and physicist are probably very important so they use radiation test on the wall and the Engineers would have to runn test on sturcture limitations and improve the Structure !! i think the Environmental systems would have to be completly independent so environment engineers would be important!

what else supposedly you would need to live down there along time so you would need long expiry date food and food production facility like a small mini farm in one room that could be used to recycle the air independently and naturally. and oh you would need alot of power i am guessing since the NUke would vaporize everything on the surface or at-least damage. sensative equipments like solar panels are not feasible but i would think thermal energy would be a good idea. since your so down underground wouldn't hurt to burrow holes deep down and get heat from that i don't think combustible energy source is a good idea your trying to conserve and recycle the air not burn it up and add more Co2.