Wasp/America and Juan Carlos/Canberra LHA/D crew size

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Americans bid their LPD17 for JP 2048. They struggled to be taken seriously because it wasn’t a carrier flat deck and included in the initial Defence scoping. They claimed you could effectively launch six MRH90/S-70 type helicopters from it and form them up in the same time as a flat top but the carrier look was vogue. Interestingly the USN has had a LPD17 operating against the Somalian pirates with an air group of six AH-1W, two UH-1N and three HH-60H or 11 choppers showing it could handle half a MRH squadron with ease. Since the MRH won't have automatically folding rotors not having to elevate them to get them in the hangar would probably be a great benefit.

They would also customise the ship for the Australian lift requirement. It also didn’t help that the USN standard LPD17 is built for twice the life of the RAN’s LHD requirement so has all sorts of high cost things like titanium pipes. Northrop said they could replace them with steel (and other things) and be cost competitive with the Mistral and proposed a similar build strategy to Tenix but with all iron work in the US and only mission systems integration in Australia. Similar to the way Northrop build them for the USN but after going down the Mississippi they would sail for Australia rather than the Gulf Coast for final fit out. One thing about the LPD17 is it would certainly be more combat worthy than the JCI or Mistral.
The LPD-17 SHOULD be a great ship, it is a pity they were built in such a bad shipyard. Avondale has a horrilbe reputation and it is rumored that once the current LPD-17 contract is up they will either be sold of go out of business.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The LPD-17 SHOULD be a great ship, it is a pity they were built in such a bad shipyard. Avondale has a horrilbe reputation and it is rumored that once the current LPD-17 contract is up they will either be sold of go out of business.
Its not just rumoured Northrop have already announced Avondale will close in 2013 with all work transferred to Mississippi.

Northrop to Close Avondale, Might Leave Shipbuilding - Defense News

Also they plan to sell their entire shipbuilding sector with submissions of interest due in late September.

Buyer Emerges for Northrop Yards - Defense News

In alternate history world one would hope an Aussie LPD17 built at Avondale would be a better product because it would lack a lot of the complex engineering that has caused problems like the long life piping.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
LPD would seem to be somewhat less troop capable compared to the BPE design. It seems more of the mistral troop carrying capacity, can anyone confirm that? (How are crew quarted in this ship compared to the canberra?)

The LPD seems to be setup for a bit of a different mission (for a different navy) to the LHD like the BPE.

The governments requirements seemed to requrie more man power than Mistral or the LPD17 were origionally designed to handle because of the way we want to use them.

For a LPD its commendably smooth and looks good, but I think it looks less awesome compared to the BPE fat minicarrier look. Although I wasn't a fan of the BPE with 7 landing spots and no jump, made the ship look a little wrong.. This is just personal taste and nothing to do with capability.

I would imagine that if we had bought into the LPD, then its issues would have been a big worry for the government. Being a billion dollar over budget, long time to get operational and still having issues (although I agree its not a design issue but poor shipyard construction).

I wonder what Australia would have come up with if it was able to design clean sheet for the JP2048. Would we have gone something bigger than BPE (more like a Wasp) or simular size without the jump or smaller and got three of them? There are certainly quiet of few of these types of ships, and the BPE design seems to be quiet capable in that group.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
LPD would seem to be somewhat less troop capable compared to the BPE design. It seems more of the mistral troop carrying capacity, can anyone confirm that? (How are crew quarted in this ship compared to the canberra?)
You can’t just compare the number of troops that can be carried without a comparison of the accommodation standard. The Mistral as built for the for the French navy carries less troops than the Juan Carlos I (aka BPE) as built for the Spanish Navy because the French requirement is for long times at sea as part of a pre-positioned force. The real issue is how much volume is available for accommodation (and other things) and in this regard the JCI, Mistral and LPD17 could all be customised to meet the Australian requirement of over 1,000 troops per ship for 2+ weeks and then around half that for four more weeks and so on.

The LPD seems to be setup for a bit of a different mission (for a different navy) to the LHD like the BPE.
Of course. But like the JCI could be modified to the Australian requirement.

I would imagine that if we had bought into the LPD, then its issues would have been a big worry for the government. Being a billion dollar over budget, long time to get operational and still having issues (although I agree its not a design issue but poor shipyard construction).
Most of these issues are related to things would not be in the Australian LPD17. Also having the ship in service long enough to have its kinks worked out is a much better idea than having your first ship half built by the time the prototype is still in trials (as is Canberra and JCI).

I wonder what Australia would have come up with if it was able to design clean sheet for the JP2048. Would we have gone something bigger than BPE (more like a Wasp) or simular size without the jump or smaller and got three of them? There certainly quiet of few of these types of ships, and the BPE design seems to be quiet capable in that group.
There is a big difference between able and willing. But a clean sheet amphibious ship to the JP2048 spec would probably look like the JCI but with less attention to the air wing side. By that I mean no ski jump and no large hangar/vehicle bay high in the ship. The vehicle decks would all be lower without a personnel deck between them. Also the elevators would probably be very large deck edge with less requirement for weight (the heavy aft jet capable elevator) and more emphasis on volume so as to be able to move an unfolded MRH between decks. I would also imagine a military spec hull below the waterline with conventional shafted propulsion.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also the elevators would probably be very large deck edge with less requirement for weight (the heavy aft jet capable elevator) and more emphasis on volume so as to be able to move an unfolded MRH between decks.
I would have thought the JC1 lifts were pretty optimal for what we want (helos). I thought deck edge lifts on smaller carriers caused problems in big rough seas? I could certainly see the advantage of edge lifts for operations, but given our oceans of operations I think the "pretty close to the edge" lifts are a fair compromise. Certainly better than invincibles in the middle.

Were these type of modifications that were concidered for that no skijump model of the JC1 made for the RAN?

Also having the ship in service long enough to have its kinks worked out is a much better idea than having your first ship half built by the time the prototype is still in trials (as is Canberra and JCI).
It did seem riskier choosing the JCI over existing and proven designs and the the emphasis on minimising risk I thought it might have put JCI out of contention. Have you heard much about the JCI build quality? There was a report of some very minor issues, which seems to be inline with its quick commissioning. Is Natavia proving to be a good contractor for us? Given the Billions we will be sinking with them?

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I would have thought the JC1 lifts were pretty optimal for what we want (helos).
Not at all. From memory none of the two lifts can fit a MRH without folded rotors. The MRH does not have an automatic folding rotor capability to fold them will require the Navy deck crew to fold them not their Army hangar techs which will add considerably to the tasks required of the deck crew. Which means the Canberra class LHD is not really going to be able to operate more than six MRHs at any one time. You just won’t be able to move them around the deck to facilitate simelteanous flight operations. Which will make it pretty much impossible to operate ARHs and other helicopters from the LHD in addition to the six MRHs.

I thought deck edge lifts on smaller carriers caused problems in big rough seas?
And is the JCI small? Nope its fricken huge. The flight deck of the JCI is higher than the Queen Elizabeth class CVF. So the problem of aft deck edge elevators being hit by waves is not a serious consideration in anything other than the “2012” sea states.

I could certainly see the advantage of edge lifts for operations, but given our oceans of operations I think the "pretty close to the edge" lifts are a fair compromise. Certainly better than invincibles in the middle.
For the lift capacity there is no difference between a central or ‘near edge’ elevator. u Apart from length overhang the advantage of a deck edge elevator is it can be bigger without effecting the structural integrity of the flight deck and ship hull. So you can have a nice wide elevator to lift a helicopter without a folded rotor.

Were these type of modifications that were concidered for that no skijump model of the JC1 made for the RAN?
Before JP2048 Izar (now Navantia) had designed a pure LHD which did not have a ski jump. This was not designed for the RAN. It was a smaller ship and basically aimed at a similar level to the Mistral or Albion classes. The JCI is as the BPE name suggests a combination of LHD and aircraft carrier capability. It is a swing role ship.

It did seem riskier choosing the JCI over existing and proven designs and the the emphasis on minimising risk I thought it might have put JCI out of contention.
Since the alternative was the Mistral and its dog’s breakfast design it was a risk worth taking. Which doesn’t mean that the competition could have been better structured. Either true OTS or an evolved, all Australian build like the AWD. Of course if the Government had done the right thing back in 1993 we would have had a new build LPD in service in 1999 that could have been followed by a second and third (and fourth) of class after East Timor and we would have had a high end amphibious capability 15 years before the LHD.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I would have thought the JC1 lifts were pretty optimal for what we want (helos). I thought deck edge lifts on smaller carriers caused problems in big rough seas? I could certainly see the advantage of edge lifts for operations, but given our oceans of operations I think the "pretty close to the edge" lifts are a fair compromise. Certainly better than invincibles in the middle.
Herein lies the irony. All the public chatter is about how they perform as LHA's and in the expeditionary role, yet internally our focus is on other things.

sure they can cash and carry, but we've moved beyond that already.

Jaimito

Banned Member
It’s not a ‘problem’ it’s designed that way. It’s in the spec for the ship. Only the aft section of the upper deck hangar is weight stressed for Harriers/F-35s. If the upper vehicle deck is used for a hangar when the JCI is in the aircraft carrier configuration then only helicopters can be stored there.

The wasp can carry an air group of over 30 aircraft and half of a battalion landing team. The JCI can carry EITHER an air group that big or half of a battalion landing team. That extra 13,000 tonnes isn’t just there for show. The JCI could carry 20 jets but it couldn’t operate them all. It would be for ferry or for show.

This argument is ridiculous. One ship is clearly much bigger than the other and no amount of chat room posts is going to change that.
Officialy both lifts in the Jc1 have the reserve of space and weight to upgrade them for lifting the F35b, hence the deck is expected to be able to carry them. Then if helos or jets can be parked there, Canberras have more "hangar" space vs more flight deck space in the Wasp, and it will not be a big difference.
Other thing is operating that aircraft fleet, probably the more you have parked in the flight deck the better time ratio for having the spot avalaible for other aircraft, maybe better ratio for putting weapons or fuel, but it does not mean that the Canberras cannot generate schedule of an operation using 20 jets or 30 helos, provided sea state does not disturb the ratios.

I cannot find the surface assigned for vehicle stowage in the Wasp, but i find a figure for the upper vehicle stowage (heavy vehicles prob.) in Wasp and is 21 AAV7, below that they have the lower vehicle stowage (light vehicles prob.), i do not how big this, vs Canberra´s for heavy vehicles have 29 Leopard tanks, and the upper deck which can be fully used for lorries, containers or more light vehicles. So we have to compare the lower vehicle stowage in Wasp vs the upper deck+hangar in Canberra, which then cannot be used for aircraft. That is without counting the docks.

Jaimito

Banned Member
You can’t just compare the number of troops that can be carried without a comparison of the accommodation standard. The Mistral as built for the for the French navy carries less troops than the Juan Carlos I (aka BPE) as built for the Spanish Navy because the French requirement is for long times at sea as part of a pre-positioned force. The real issue is how much volume is available for accommodation (and other things) and in this regard the JCI, Mistral and LPD17 could all be customised to meet the Australian requirement of over 1,000 troops per ship for 2+ weeks and then around half that for four more weeks and so on.
Canberra should have room for supplies for 50 days, or able to sustain a deployment inland for 30 days.

Sea Toby

Canberra should have room for supplies for 50 days, or able to sustain a deployment inland for 30 days.
This is getting silly. The US Marines and US Navy amphibious ships deploy throughout the world for six months, if not longer, before they return to their home ports in a rotation of three. The Australians and Spainards have no intentions of doing the same. While both nations have replenishment ships, neither have the train of different supply ships of the US Navy or naval bases located worldwide.

Lets not get involved in a pissing contest of which ship is better. As I noted before the Canberra meets the requirements of Australia and Spain while the Wasp meets the requirements of the United States. While the two ships appear similar, they aren't the same ships. They were designed for two different operational requirements.

I repeat apples and oranges, apples and oranges, apples and oranges... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ThePuss

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Herein lies the irony. All the public chatter is about how they perform as LHA's and in the expeditionary role, yet internally our focus is on other things.

sure they can cash and carry, but we've moved beyond that already.
As I understand it, whenever a LHD's sail from Sydney on a routine "Uptop" deployment it will swing by Townsville and pick up a Company from a either 1,2 or 3 RAR, a troop of four MRH-90's and an assortment of light vehicles. The LCM-1E will be permanently embarked (No room at the inn @ Ross island barracks apparently...and looking at Google earth I can see why).

This so they can respond much more quickly to disaster relief/citizen evacuation like taskings as they do not have to sail back to OZ to pick up the troops before heading to the AO.

Please nobody put words into my mouth. This is NOT an USMC MEU like capability and at the UPMOST of what a small defence force can forward deploy (and it will not be on a permanent basis). I.e. no single handed invasion of a pacific nation (who may or may not have a "Pesky" Commodore in charge) by a single LHD with 4 LMC-1e, 4 MRH-90's, a company of light infantry and a couple of Land rovers, Mack trucks and Mil Spec Backhoes. ;)

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
This is getting silly. The US Marines and US Navy amphibious ships deploy throughout the world for six months
Why is this getting silly ? The 50 days was a requirement of the chosen ship to be able to sustain the embarked personel for this period of time before needing to be replenished, its not a comparison between the ships, just a capability of the Canberra class

Jaimito

Banned Member
Not sure how long this has been on the Navy website but it is a good animation runs almost
8 mins
.navy.gov.au/Canberra_Class]Canberra Class - Royal Australian Navy[/url]

It is a great example of how flexible the Canberra Class really is, as opposed to the Wasp which is much more specific in its taskings, so for the RAN it does make sense for us to have such a flexible platform, although I personally beleive it is very optomistic in the animation showing the Tigers operating from them
It is a very nice animation, worth to see the package they have assigned to it, 2 Tigers, 6 Nh90, 2 Chinooks, and the rest vehicles, well this is BAE packing the Lhd not the RAN, but note they say 18 medium size helos fit in the upper deck but in Nh90 helo´s numbers are 30, not 18.

Jaimito

Banned Member
On the Mistral they carry 50 extra beds that are set up on the hanger deck.

Soldier accommodations do not allow sufficient access to patients requiring nursing care. There would also be major issues in dealing with sterilization, privacy, and spills and body wastes in the standard bunking arrangements.

Soldier accommodations are adequate for 'walking wounded'.
About Wasp:
"consists of six operating rooms, a 15-bed intensive care unit, 44-bed hospital ward with 500 overflow beds"