Venezuela may buy Russian submarines

contedicavour

Old thread - I'm sure there's another around here. Please close, mods.
There is one bit of new news here though vs the old thread, ie that Venezuela would opt for Kilos at first, not directly for the Amur/Lada. Strange decision though, as Kilo is starting to be an old design and it has been proven to be inadequate in shallow waters (Poland stopped using its Kilo and even asked the old USSR for Foxtrots instead since the Kilo was too big for the Baltic).
Anyway, even with 5 Kilos Venezuela's navy would not necessarily have the mightiest submarine force in Latin America. Brazil and Chile have similar numbers and more modern subs.

cheers

qwerty223

There is one bit of new news here though vs the old thread, ie that Venezuela would opt for Kilos at first, not directly for the Amur/Lada. Strange decision though, as Kilo is starting to be an old design and it has been proven to be inadequate in shallow waters (Poland stopped using its Kilo and even asked the old USSR for Foxtrots instead since the Kilo was too big for the Baltic).
Anyway, even with 5 Kilos Venezuela's navy would not necessarily have the mightiest submarine force in Latin America. Brazil and Chile have similar numbers and more modern subs.

cheers
Well my guess is, since Kilo is old and therefore is much more cheaper and may even come with some other "give away" add-ons?

And so, Venezuela might enjoy relative lower cost with a faster growth of maritime strength. While the performance issue, I noticed that Venezuela is also facing the Caribbean as well as Atlantic. I here emphasized Caribbean because in contrast to Baltic of average depth of 55m, Caribbean has 2,200m.

contedicavour

Well my guess is, since Kilo is old and therefore is much more cheaper and may even come with some other "give away" add-ons?

And so, Venezuela might enjoy relative lower cost with a faster growth of maritime strength. While the performance issue, I noticed that Venezuela is also facing the Caribbean as well as Atlantic. I here emphasized Caribbean because in contrast to Baltic of average depth of 55m, Caribbean has 2,200m.
Ah then I must be wrong. I had in mind oceanographic maps showing shallow waters in most of the Caribbean facing Venezuelan coastline but I'm not 100% sure. My argument is that a Kilo SSK in shallow waters would be a sitting duck since any active hull sonar could take it up.

cheers

qwerty223

Well, I am not going to glorify the Kilo. But I believes it is a very capable SSK, if refitted with contemporary module, just like the Chinese says, old bottle, new wine, plus, a much lower price label, win win situation for both nations, Russia gets money, Venezuela gets a forcefully weapon.