Varyag : what's next ?

contedicavour

I've been looking closely at recent pictures of the Varyag in Dalian harbour in China. All electronics has been stripped and stockpiled next to the ship. There have apparently been no efforts to install/update machinery to ensure the ship can sail without being pulled by an ocean tug.
The more I look at the pictures, the more I'm convinced this ship will not become operational. However, I would expect the PLAN to install flight control electronics and start testing soon SU-33 landings and take-offs from the Varyag. A significant first step in acquiring carrier expertise, though obviously only a first step along a long path...

Any opinions ?

cheers

Big-E

Banned Member
If they were going to leave her derelict they wouldn't bother stripping her gear. Looks like they are in the process of a refit to me.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Varyag : what's next

I disagree with the sumazation that the sVaryag will not be active.

http://www.sinodefenceforum.com/showthread.php?t=529

http://www.sinodefenceforum.com/showthread.php?t=264

If you look at the pictures in the first thread above you can see deffinet progress in the re-fit of the Varyag. There are pictures there that show progress on re-surfacing the flight deck. As the flight deck goes from rusty to zinc chromate to what appears to be a non-skid surface. As for the electronics those may be installed at a later date. As none of us have x-ray vision we cannot see what sort of work is being done to the interior of that ship.

I am well aware of the rampid "PS" pics on Chinese forums and the incrediable Chinese rumor mill. Personally I think the ship will be taken to sea within two years. it won't be fully operational for some time because the time it takes to train a airwing and ships company is not overnight. It took the USN who has been operating CV's since 1922 three years to train the crew of CVN-76 and airwing so they may deploy.

Big-E

Banned Member
bd popeye said:
Personally I think the ship will be taken to sea within two years. it won't be fully operational for some time because the time it takes to train a airwing and ships company is not overnight. It took the USN who has been operating CV's since 1922 three years to train the crew of CVN-76 and airwing so they may deploy.
You forget that PLAAF has a full cadre of certified pilots that have been training off HMAS Melbourne's flight deck. You know these pilots are well versed in naval aviation. I wouldn't be suprised if Varyags refit isn't for their benefit.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Varyag: what's next?

Big-E said:
You forget that PLAAF has a full cadre of certified pilots that have been training off HMAS Melbourne's flight deck. You know these pilots are well versed in naval aviation. I wouldn't be suprised if Varyags refit isn't for their benefit.
Actually I did not forget. I just don't believe that the PLAN re-assembled the Melbournes flight deck on a airfield some where. Why would they do that when they could simply paint one on the runway/tarmac? I think thats' what they did. Anyway personally I doubt the quality of training carrier pilots not done at sea. As some one who served on 5 USN CV's over a 20 year USN career the very best training comes at sea. I've seen pilots who could "catch the wire"(make an arrested landing) on an airfield ashore but had a hard time qualifing for carrier landings at sea on a real aircraft carrier. Main diffrence between shore and CV landings: that carrier deck is moving & much smaller. At night it's still moving and harder to see. Less room for error.

Excuse me I see your are at MCAS Beaufort SC. Good job! Are you a sea going USMC F-18 tech? Are you a mech, metalsmith, tweet, pilot Or what? Just curious.

Last edited:

Big-E

Banned Member
bd popeye said:
Actually I did not forget. I just don't believe that the PLAN re-assembled the Melbournes flight deck on a airfield some where. Why would they do that when they could simply paint one on the runway/tarmac? I think thats' what they did.

Well they did, "the flight deck of the Melbourne was kept intact and used for pilot training in carrier takeoffs and landings" (2004 U.S. Naval War College)

The utility of using the actual flight deck is a matter of material. It does matter as they didn't just lay it flat on the ground. It was raised and placed in sections along with arrested recovery equipment. The only thing they couldn't test for was pitch and roll of a vessel.

bd popeye said:
Anyway personally I doubt the quality of training carrier pilots not done at sea. As some one who served on 5 USN CV's over a 20 year USN career the very best training comes at sea. I've seen pilots who could "catch the wire"(make an arrested landing) on an airfield ashore but had a hard time qualifing for carrier landings at sea on a real aircraft carrier. Main diffrence between shore and CV landings: that carrier deck is moving & much smaller. At night it's still moving and harder to see. Less room for error.

Excuse me I see your are at MCAS Beaufort SC. Good job! Are you a sea going USMC F-18 tech? Are you a mech, metalsmith, tweet, pilot Or what? Just curious.
Of course there is no substitute for actual CATOBAR operations but I remember my flight training before my first actual attempt. Study was extensive in simulators as well as flight ops from landing strips and they served us quite well. It didn't take two years to finish training before we recieved our wings of gold.

I am an F/A-18 instructor pilot and NATOPS officer for SWATLANT while I also perform duties as assistant ops and flight officer for VFA-86 when they are state side. Currently they are on deployment so I'm left training a bunch of jarheads.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Like I said I've heard those statements about the flight deck being assembled on shore. If you know of any links with pictures please post them! thanks.

Jarheads?:D Somethings never change. When CV's still had MARDET's sometimes we called them "sea-going bellhops" Because they were assigned as the CO and XO orderlies and any other ADM or CAPT and above that may be on board.

Of course there is no substitute for actual CATOBAR operations but I remember my flight training before my first actual attempt. Study was extensive in simulators as well as flight ops from landing strips and they served us quite well. It didn't take two years to finish training before we recieved our wings of gold.

I am an F/A-18 instructor pilot and NATOPS officer for SWATLANT while I also perform duties as assistant ops and flight officer for VFA-86 when they are state side. Currently they are on deployment so I'm left training a bunch of jarheads.
Training has always been in question to me when it comes to the PLAN. I know they are starting from scratch and are probally being helped by the Russians. But as we know nothing subsitutes for actual at sea time.

I served in the USN for 20 years. Made 7 major deployments on 5 carriers. Kennedy, Midway, Hancock, America and Nimitz. I was an Aviation ordanceman for 11 years and a Parachute Rigger for 9. I retired in 1991.

God bless you for your service to the USA!!:)

And don't forget to check your six!