Valley Forge sunk!

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2366000.php

The first Navy Aegis ship to be sent to Davey Jones’ locker now rests on the bottom of the Pacific, done in by a combination of missiles and gunfire.

The decommissioned cruiser Valley Forge was sunk as part of a Nov. 2 target practice on a test range near Kauai, Hawaii, according to the U.S. Pacific Fleet.

The fourth Ticonderoga-class Aegis cruiser to be built, it was in service for only 18 years, from 1986 to 2004. The ships were designed to serve at least three decades, but the Navy decommissioned the first five Aegis cruisers in 2004 and 2005, citing their older missile systems.

The Navy could not say whether the Aegis combat system was on board at the time of the sinking, although Naval Sea Systems Command said Nov. 17 that “various components of the Aegis weapon system have been removed.”

Topside items such as missile directors, radars and gun mounts were removed prior to the sinking.

None of the other decommissioned Aegis cruisers are currently scheduled for sinking, the Navy said.

Sinking ships at sea, usually for target practice, has become a regular method of disposal. Of 31 decommissioned Spruance-class destroyers, 19 already have been sunk and three more are scheduled. Only two ships have been scrapped, and two more are scheduled to be broken up.
So I guess the USN doesn't mothball ships anymore, seems like a waste of tax dollars if you ask me.

Big-E

Banned Member
So I guess the USN doesn't mothball ships anymore, seems like a waste of tax dollars if you ask me.
We only mothball ships that have a purpose if reactivated. The old AEGIS cruisers aren't compatible with the software we have today. They won't have spares for their weapons systems. The old Spruances can't act as the arsenal ships of the fleet anymore as the software for the FC is too complicated for advanced weapons. While Spruances make a good ASW platform the expense of operating them isn't worth it when OHPs can do the same job just as well.

Rich

Am I the only one this kinda thing bothers? I'd much rather see the steel recycled and a proud Lady allowed to fade away then to see her shot full of holes and sunk.

Big-E

Banned Member
Am I the only one this kinda thing bothers? I'd much rather see the steel recycled and a proud Lady allowed to fade away then to see her shot full of holes and sunk.
The choice to scrap or sink depends on the cost of dismanteling the hull and the economics of steel at the time. With Bush's free trade policy with the EU he lifted tariffs on imported steel so the price was so low the economics of scrapping the ships would have been retarded. We need real world targets for our missles and we need to get rid of the hulls in an economically feasable way.

Sea Toby

I wanted to add that there are only a few shipbreakers left in America, and they are way behind, stacked up.

Its also useful to learn how quickly the ships sink, and its important to sink ships for training. Even during RIMPAC exercises, its America that offers ships for sinking.

contedicavour

It would have made much more sense to sell the ship to Taiwan. It would have been a perfect complement for the Kidd class DDGs ... same missiles, same launchers, better radars.

cheers

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
It would have made much more sense to sell the ship to Taiwan. It would have been a perfect complement for the Kidd class DDGs ... same missiles, same launchers, better radars.

cheers
Agree. But whether they could afford ? Consider purchase cost, operating cost, manpower requirement ... It's not like the Ayatollah class ships came cheap.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
My son was on the ex-USS valley Forge (CG-50) for one year. Presently he is assigned as an advanced instructor at the ASW school in San Diego.

He tells me that CG-50 did not have any missiles on board it's last few years. the ship was used for drug interdiction. Also as someone has pointed out it has not been updated.

As for scrapping the ship. As Big-E points out there are few shipbreakers in the US. In addition the cost of scrapping a ship like this actually cost the ship yards more than they can recieve in the sell of salvage materials.

The ROC(Taiwan) could not afford to operate this ship. Plus re-fit it to suit their needs. I'm sure the US would not want the ship to fall into the hands of the PLAN in the advent of the PRC and ROC re-uniting.

rickusn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Bd Popeye:

"My son was on the ex-USS valley Forge (CG-50) for one year. Presently he is assigned as an advanced instructor at the ASW school in San Diego."

Could you ask him if the ships ahd any hull or structural problems such as a longitudinal hull twist.

Thanks for your time and any info.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Could you ask him if the ships ahd any hull or structural problems such as a longitudinal hull twist.
I talked to him om Sunday after the San Diego Chargers kicked the Denver Donkeys ass and he said this..I will parphrase. "They ship was in great shape. Cleaner than the Foster.(DD-964) ran good..But it was not up to date." Basically That's what he said. If there was anything wrong with the ship he did not say.

In another forum I posted this about CG-50/Tico's and Spru-cans.

http://www.sinodefenceforum.com/showpost.php?p=49282&postcount=165

I went to sea for a "Friends and Family Day Cruise" three years ago when my son was on board. The ship was very clean. The crew was well trained and mannered. Even in the times I took my son food when he had duty(because he did not want what was served) That ship was squared away.

As for the material condition of the ship. Honestly that was the cleanest ship I was ever on. Period. It was immaculate. According to my son the ship suffered no engineering problems at all. Those ships "hulls" are outstanding. Some of the old Spruance class sailors in some yahoo.com USN groups and other forums be moan the fact that the Spruance's are gone. They all feel that those ships had 15 years of life or more left.

TGAICS

I was on the USS Princeton CG-59 a few years after she ran across a couple mines during the first Gulf War. She was kind of twisted and still had cracks in her when I got off in 2000. Other than that she was a good ship. She got us to the gulf and back from 1998-1999. All of the other ships I was on are gone now. Bainbridge (CGN-25), David R. Ray (DD-971), Robison (DDG-12).

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I was on the USS Princeton CG-59 a few years after she ran across a couple mines during the first Gulf War. She was kind of twisted and still had cracks in her when I got off in 2000. Other than that she was a good ship. She got us to the gulf and back from 1998-1999. All of the other ships I was on are gone now. Bainbridge (CGN-25), David R. Ray (DD-971), Robison (DDG-12).
Thanks shipmate for that info. Thank you for your service shipmate!!.

Perhaps that's where the "sea story" got started was with the Princeton. Who knows. Sea stories will go on forever.

I just talked to my son a couple of hours ago. He found out today he made STG1..:D

Anyway previously he told me the reason the USN was taking some Ticos out of service was the ships were not updated..and the USN feels it has more that enough Arliegh Burkes.

adroth

Agree. But whether they could afford ? Consider purchase cost, operating cost, manpower requirement ... It's not like the Ayatollah class ships came cheap.
Does anyone here have any information about the monthly or annual cost of operating a Ticonderoga class ship?