Question V-22 Osprey and enemy fire

InterestedParty

Apologies to the Mods it was suggested that I relocate this thread

I have been curious for some time about the Osprey and similar aircraft that seem to be increasing in popularity.

I understand the attractions of the additional speed but every time I see pictures or video of one in flight (never seen one in the flesh), especially during the transition from horizontal to vertical flight, I can’t help think that the rotors and engines are an enormous target for anyone on the ground with hostile intent.

I am aware that the videos may be staged to demonstrate the capabilities and that in real life they may transition more quickly and perhaps not be as vulnerable as I think.

Am I correct in understanding that if a conventional helicopter sustained damage to its main rotor/engine/gearbox then the motion of the helicopter will be substantially downward (depending on forward speed at the time) but upright with the possibility of auto-rotation depending on altitude.

The Osprey on the other hand, with its huge rotor discs and engines seem relatively easy to hit and any damage to a rotor/propeller/engine would result in a rolling moment which I imagine is uncontrollable especially at low altitude approaching a landing zone, resulting in a crash from which you would probably not walk away.

Are the Ospreys rotors more robust than I think?

What would it take to cause significant damage, a rifle, a Browning M2? Is the chance of hitting a rotating blade so low that it is not really a relevant concern?

Is this something that could be practiced in a simulator?

Are my concerns misplaced or overstated, I would appreciate the opinion of some of our experts with direct knowledge.