USS Enterprise CVN 65

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
With the USS Enterprise on its final deployment, I came across this version of CVN 65. 19 years in the making, now that’s dedication.

USS Enterprise CVN-65 by Gabriel Suranyi
Nice effort ! will have to check out the vid when I get home, work don't really like me downloading 50 meg of videos on their mobile broadband sticks, looks like pretty good detail, 19 years is a long time to be making the one model, definately dedicated !

The best model maker I have seen I served with on the Hobart, Russ French, pretty much every model of a ship, or anything else for that matter, around Fleet HQ, Canberra, Cerberus etc was made by Russ, amazing attention to detail, and most are actual working models !! IE: the ships actually work and sail in the water :)

Defence Models and Graphics

Lostfleet

A very impressive model, congratulations on the builder. Also if you want to visit a carrier, you should build a good model of it as this gentleman got a ride to the carrier and spent two days :)

If they turn Enterprise into a museum this piece should be included in the museum.

and it reminds me I still have a Tamiya Enterprise 1/350 in my basement still waiting to be built.

Last edited:

t68

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The best model maker I have seen I served with on the Hobart, Russ French, pretty much every model of a ship, or anything else for that matter, around Fleet HQ, Canberra, Cerberus etc was made by Russ, amazing attention to detail, and most are actual working models !! IE: the ships actually work and sail in the water :)

Defence Models and Graphics
Yes I have seen Russ French work before not in the flesh, but I did not realize that they were able to sail in the water just thought they were showcase models. Maybe someone from Defence just might borrow them for the day and head out with Task Force 72 that would be a sight to see.

Fleet Bases - TF72
A very impressive model, congratulations on the builder. Also if you want to visit a carrier, you should build a good model of it as this gentleman got a ride to the carrier and spent two days :)

If they turn Enterprise into a museum this piece should be included in the museum.

and it reminds me I still have a Tamiya Enterprise 1/350 in my basement still waiting to be built.

From what I have read that it would be uneconomical to use Big E as a museum ship once they have cut the reactors out not worth saving the ship, also she will be the first nuclear fuelled carrier to be decommissioned, their is mounting pressure from other sites to preserve the upper structure (tower).

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yes I have seen Russ French work before not in the flesh, but I did not realize that they were able to sail in the water just thought they were showcase models. Maybe someone from Defence just might borrow them for the day and head out with Task Force 72 that would be a sight to see.

Fleet Bases - TF72

From what I have read that it would be uneconomical to use Big E as a museum ship once they have cut the reactors out not worth saving the ship, also she will be the first nuclear fuelled carrier to be decommissioned, their is mounting pressure from other sites to preserve the upper structure (tower).
I believe he does make static models as well, but his better work that I have seen have been fully operational models

Lostfleet

They scrapped the first Enterprise ( CV-6) and it is sad to hear they will scrap this one as well. I have never been on a super-carrier and I was hoping for the conversion of CVN-65 as a museum so I could be on one.

Since Saratoga is no longer listed for sale, JFK's rejection to turn into a museum, Independence, Constellation and ForrestalI are getting prepared for scrap, I guess there is not much chance to see any modern carrier museums soon,

Thanks for the model makers, at least we will have scale models to look at :dance

SteelTiger 177

"Let history never forget the name Enterprise"

Like Lostfleet I find it sad that this GREAT ship may turned into scrap given what this ship has done for it's 50yrs of service.I feel that preserving this ship as muesum would be good not just to honor this Enterprise but also to CV-6 also named Enterprise for their crews who flew her and served them both and the people who built them.In conclusion to quote another captain(of a differrent Enterprise) I say "let history never forget the name Enterprise."

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
No one could afford to maintain her, look at the current carrier museums only Midway and Intrepid are profitable and she will be thoroughly wrecked when the reactors are removed.

Belesari

No one could afford to maintain her, look at the current carrier museums only Midway and Intrepid are profitable and she will be thoroughly wrecked when the reactors are removed.
Thats always been the problem with doing anything with the nuke carriers you have to tear them appart to get to the reactors. Kinda wonder if you couldnt build some kind of system to let you get to them. hell it only needs to happen what? every 20-30 years or so now. Hell i heard our new reactors could go 40 but not sure if thats true or not.