USMC Recon Tests Diver Propulsion System

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
(Source: US Marine Corps; issued Feb. 19, 2004)

CAMP SCHWAB, Okinawa, Japan --- Marines of 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, 3rd Marine Division swiftly ripped through ocean waters off the shores of Camp Schwab while beginning the testing and training phases of a new underwater transportation device Jan. 19.

The Diver Propulsion Device, engineered by Stidd Systems, a Green Port, N.Y., company, was developed three years ago and has undergone rigorous tests conducted by NASA and the U.S. Navy Seals prior to its release to Recon Marines on Okinawa.

“Our Marines are very enthusiastic about the potential capabilities and are eager to continue more advanced training,†said Staff Sgt. Jeff A. Milburn, reconnaisanceman. “We expect to see it in use immediately with increased use over the next two years.â€

With a torpedo-like appearance and weighing in at a mere 168 pounds, the device will be used primarily for rapid insertion and extraction operations once the testing and training phases have been completed.

Specific Marine Corps alterations have been made to make the DPD easier to handle on land, more maneuverable in water, faster, and to increase its operating range, according to Bill Hellman, technical representative, Skidd Systems.

“The device will give us a further insert and extract platform,†said Cpl. John P. Quante, reconniasanceman. “We’ll be less dependant on the divers themselves and have the means for long range amphibious operations.â€

Simple in design, with only a throttle, yoke, compass, and energy gauge, the device has a maximum operating depth of 60-feet, with rechargeable battery life of nearly five hours.

“This training is important for us to familiarize the Marines with a piece of gear that will further their abilities,†said Quante. “It’s a good piece of gear that’ll be valuable to our community.â€

Recon Marines will benefit from the DPD by decreasing fatigue and stress that often accompanies the evasive and dangerous missions they perform.

“We’ll use this in combat to take the place of swimming so the diver spends less time in the water, arrives at the operations area more refreshed and is ready to fight,†Milburn said.

-- ends --

The Surface View

The Fish View

A

Aussie Digger

That's very cool. I'm guessing SASR, 4RAR (Cmdo) and 1 Cmdo Regt would be eager for something like this as well... How does the propulsion system work on these babies?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Aussie Digger said:
That's very cool. I'm guessing SASR, 4RAR (Cmdo) and 1 Cmdo Regt would be eager for something like this as well... How does the propulsion system work on these babies?
NFI. Theres not much about them released yet. But, I notice there are not a lot of bubbles coming up, so its either low propusion or a recycler.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
A good stealth insertion application. But I can see the guy on the surface in one picture. I'm sure its fully functional with a person wearing scuba gear and gliding in couple of feet under the surface of the water body...Otherwise would be pretty useless (except for speed).

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
shamayel said:
A good stealth insertion application. But I can see the guy on the surface in one picture. I'm sure its fully functional with a person wearing scuba gear and gliding in couple of feet under the surface of the water body...Otherwise would be pretty useless (except for speed).
They're a bit like a 21st century version of the "Chariot"

The concept belongs to Marine Force Recon. They regard themselves as a version of the Seals. That would seem to indicate that they tend to play hide and seek in private places. ;)