US SAM Systems

Belesari

This makes a lot of sense. I guess the Navy's SM missiles + land BMD + Patriots would be the US's "answer" to the S300/S400.

Too bad though that it seems the US's allies will have to look elsewhere to buy their SAMs in the absence of Aegis warships and equivalent.
I know Japan uses a varient (basicaly its a burke without the land attack capability) of our DDGs and i believe South korea does to.

So in naval vessels atleast were not the only ones.

fretburner

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know Japan uses a varient (basicaly its a burke without the land attack capability) of our DDGs and i believe South korea does to.

So in naval vessels atleast were not the only ones.
Spain and Australia too I think.

Still, they're a lot more expensive than the Russian SAMs right?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's all context dependent. You can't use Russian land-based SAMs to protect a naval taskforce. Russian ships, which tend to mount Russian SAMs like the S-300F, are not much cheaper.

fretburner

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Russian ships, which tend to mount Russian SAMs like the S-300F, are not much cheaper.
Cool stuff. I wonder if the land-based SM3s will finally be made, if it's relatively easy and cheap to allow SM2s and/or SM6s to be launched from these platforms? Because that would essentially make this the US version of the S300/S400 right?

DrewUSA

My US Thoughts Towards US BMD.

I actually got to watch to X-Band Radar go out to see off the Hawaiian Coast while on a since lab trip tracking whale pod movements and their interactions with boats and other human made noise. MY professor actually sued the US Navy for active sonar... I Stood UP in CLASS and tried to explain the whole Russian Missie Sub Threat, yea she didn't get it, but flew around the world on 8 trips a year to do lectures, hows that for the environment...
Back to my point, the us is going the stealth and i believe supersonic speed. Bypass any missile defense possible by going Mach 8.0...en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hy-V_Scramjet_Flight_Experiment]The Hy-V Scramjet Flight Experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and then there is the NASA X-43 also able to be found in Google or wikipedia with NASA links.

Add in what the upgraded SM3 is going to produce, plus yes, i believe laser tech down the road, 10-20 years to get it the size we need to make it destructible at LONG ranges. have a good nice,
.peace.

dumpster4

From Jane's:

US Army seeks Stinger-based defence against cruise missiles:

"The US Army issued a request for information (RfI) for a Raytheon FIM-92
Stinger-based air defence system to counter cruise missiles on 4 August.

The RfI, which was posted on the Federal Business Opportunities website, calls for sources with the capability to provide engineering services in support of the Stinger missile in relation to the development of the Cruise Missile Defense Systems (CMDS) for both United States and Foreign Military Sales (FMS) customers."

Note: I can't post links yet, otherwise I'd link to the article.

[Mod Edit: As we noted in another thread, please refrain from simply copy-pasting entire news articles and turning threads into news ribbons. We expect to see personal input to your posts. Accordingly, a warning issued for this attempt at converting this discussion thread into a news ribbon. No reply to the Mod Warnings are necessary.

This forum is moderated and new members must read the Forum Rules before posting. ]

Last edited by a moderator:

barney41

The MKV Concept is being resurrected as MOKV. Assuming they can successfully miniaturize the kill vehicle and cram several of these into the nose of a GBI or SM-3 Blk 2, then it should significantly improve the chances of a successful interception.

House Bill Would Revive Dormant Missile Defense Kill Vehicle Project - SpaceNews.com

Currently, the MDA’s ground-based interceptors each carry a single kill vehicle designed to home in on an incoming missile warhead and destroy it by force of impact. The MOKV, by contrast, could engage several incoming objects simultaneously with kill vehicles that could communicate with one another.

One of the biggest issues with the current U.S. missile defense system is its inability to reliably distinguish between missile warheads and relatively low-tech decoys. The MOKV addresses that issue by taking out all objects deployed by an incoming missile.

In theory, the MOKV also could reduce the number of interceptors that would need to be launched to thwart a missile attack.