US plans ambitious wireless military network

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
US plans ambitious wireless military network

The Pentagon has reportedly laid the first connections for a secure, wireless information network that proponents say will fundamentally transform warfare.

The New York Times reports that estimates suggest the Global Information Grid will cost $US200 billion in the next decade alone but take two decades to complete.

The new network would fuse US military and intelligence services into a unified system and make volumes of information instantly available to soldiers on the battlefield, the Times said.

Robert Stevens, chief executive of top US military contractor Lockheed Martin Corporation, says every member of the military would have "a God's-eye view" of the battlefield.

Proponents say it will become the most lethal weapon in the US arsenal and change the military and warfare in the way the Internet has changed business and culture.

The Times says Peter Teets, Under Secretary of the US Air Force, told Congress that the system would allow "marines in a Humvee, in a faraway land, in the middle of a rainstorm, to open up their laptops, request imagery" from a spy satellite, and "get it downloaded within seconds".

But the effort faces staggering technological hurdles.

Vint Cerf, one of the inventors of the Internet, is a consultant to the Pentagon on the project. "I want to make sure what we realise is vision and not hallucination," he told the Times.

"This is sort of like Star Wars, where the policy was, 'Let's go out and build this system', and technology lagged far behind," he said.

"There's nothing wrong with having ambitious goals. You just need to temper them with physics and reality."

The military has twice before tried to build information networks for the military.

The 1960s-era Worldwide Military Command and Control System often failed in crises. A $US25 billion successor completed in 2003 is already outdated.

Four decades ago, Pentagon scientists invented the systems that became the Internet. However, the global network leapt forward once it emerged in the world of commerce a decade ago.

The war net is "an attempt to catch up", Mr Cerf said.

Military contractors and information-technology innovators formed a consortium to develop the war net on September 28, the Times said.

The group includes Boeing, Cisco Systems, General Dynamics, Hewlett-Packard, Honeywell, IBM, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft, Northrop Grumman, Oracle, Raytheon, and Sun Microsystems.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200411/s1243034.htm

--0--

well this will be an interesting exercise in revenue generation for the above club. ;) Why in Gods name you would allow Microschitt anywhere near a military network is beyond me.

highsea

MS has the best technology for downloading patches! :D:

Oh woe is me, when our soldiers can't decide where to aim because their palm pilot is rebooting....

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
highsea said:
MS has the best technology for downloading patches! :D:

Oh woe is me, when our soldiers can't decide where to aim because their palm pilot is rebooting....
I'm currently on a project dealing with a sniper detection system. the software is loaded onto a palm pilot. needless to say we do not use MS. Unix baby! Real software for the military, none of this nancy graphical kidzz stuff.

It must be the only legal virus in the world requiring updates.. ;)

redsoulja

i understand that Unix is much more stable than MS, yet doesn't there exist risks where countires with a moderate infromation/electronic warfare capability can hack the networks, upload false information, or corrupt the network deeming it unusable in somke cases?