Turn WYSIWYG Off, Please

tonnyc

In the new forum software the url tag is invisible in the editor, making me unsure whether I've properly linked the URL until I checked it with preview. Can all the tags be made visible and manually editable? I don't want WYSIWYG. It makes editing runs slower and especially in for links it actually makes it confusing. E.g., I can't really tell if I put the correct URL. Not a problem if there's only a single URL in the post, but if one is writing a long post with multiple URL references it's harder to proof the post. Previously I can check if I have the correct URL for the correct reference link just by looking at it. Now I have to hit preview and then hover the cursor on each link to see what the URLs are.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
@WebMaster:

He means that he wants to see the BBcode tags themselves, i.e. not having to click around to see if the particular tags are set right.

@tonnyc:

You can turn WYSIWYG off in XenForo by using the "use BB code editor" button to the top right of the reply field. On the 02-DT-Material-Sport-New style skin the symbol looks like a pen, on the default style skin like a wrench over a sheet of paper. The BB code editor does not have the tag toolbar - or the hotkey shortcuts - though, i.e. you have to manually enter them. You can switch between WYSIWYG and BBcode while editing your reply, with proper transfer of all tags used in either of them.

Suggestion @ Webmaster : There are plugins for XenForo that establish a tag code toolbar for the BBcode editor, such as Minorin.

tonnyc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@WebMaster:

He means that he wants to see the BBcode tags themselves, i.e. not having to click around to see if the particular tags are set right.

@tonnyc:

You can turn WYSIWYG off in XenForo by using the "use BB code editor" button to the top right of the reply field. On the 02-DT-Material-Sport-New style skin the symbol looks like a pen, on the default style skin like a wrench over a sheet of paper. The BB code editor does not have the tag toolbar - or the hotkey shortcuts - though, i.e. you have to manually enter them. You can switch between WYSIWYG and BBcode while editing your reply, with proper transfer of all tags used in either of them.

Suggestion @ Webmaster : There are plugins for XenForo that establish a tag code toolbar for the BBcode editor, such as Minorin.
Yes, I want to see the tags instead of having to click around. E.g., during editing if I use the link button I want to be able to see the [ U R L = " http://..." ] and [ / U R L ]. Why is it that during editing the [ Q U O T E ] and [ U S E R ] tags are displayed as BB code but other tags aren't?

I also know how to switch to BB code editor, and yes, I actually have switched back and forth between them to be able to use both the toolbar and be able to see the BBcodes. But why is this switching back and forth considered desirable? I'm pretty sure the idea behind WYSIWYG is easier editing, but it ended up more troublesome if I have to switch back and forth all the time.