Turkish FM denies plan to buy tanks from Germany: report

The Watcher

Turkish FM denies plan to buy tanks from Germany: report

BERLIN, Oct 18 (AFP) - Turkey is not currently planning to buy tanks from Germany, Turkish Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul has told a German newspaper, dismissing earlier press reports.

Gul, on a two-day visit to Germany, denied a report in Der Spiegel magazine that Turkey was interested in buying 350 second-hand Leopard II tanks from Germany.

The deal was "not the order of the day", Gul told the Handelsblatt newspaper, according to an advance extract of its Tuesday edition.

Asked whether Turkey planned to buy the heavy battle tanks in the next year, Gul replied: "I cannot say anything about that for now."

Reports in Germany last week said the sale of the Leopard II tanks was expected to be pushed through if European Union leaders decide at a summit in December that Turkey has undertaken enough democratic reforms to begin EU membership talks.

Gul was meeting German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer later on Monday to discuss Turkey's hopes of being accepted for talks. German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder has already said he will back Turkey's cause.

Despite undergoing a programme of reforms, Turkey still "had a few problems", Gul said. "But the most important thing is that we resolve to deal with these problems or other setbacks," he told Handelsblatt.

source

The Watcher

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Larger report on same subject:

Turkey Not Interested in German Tanks

Turkey's foreign minister is visiting Berlin to discuss his country's entry in the European Union. Abdullah Gül also refuted German media reports that Turkey wants to buy hundreds of German tanks.

Turkey currently has no interest in buying tanks from the German military, Gül told the German business daily Handelsblatt at the start of his two-day visit to Berlin. He added that he was surprised that the issue had even become a topic in the media.

Last week, the German media began reporting that Turkey was interested in buying several hundred Leopard 2 tanks no longer needed by the German military.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,1564,1365162,00.html

Aegis

Then what tank will they buy? Maybe Russian T-90 MBT.I heard Turkey got a lot of ambition military upgrade.Their M60 tanks all will be upgraded by Israel.

turin

Actually Turkey was and is interested in purchasing Leopard 2 the whole time since the initial evaluations back in 1999/2000. Back then the Leopard 2, Abrams, Leclerc and T-84 were tested for a procurement of 1.000 MBT, yet no final decision was taken. This was partly due to the fact that the german government (mostly the greens in the coalition) didnt want to export military equipment to Turkey, however I guess the more important factor in Turkeys decision not to name a winner was the financial situation.
This makes sense when I see the numbers of MBT now projected to be more in the region of 300 to 500.
Political situation in Germany now has changed a little bit (most obviously because of the EU evaluation of turkey) and probabilty rises that they get the tanks from us. However no clear statement about that yet by our dear government and thats why Mr. Gul plays chicken over all the discussion in the media.

T-90 selection is unlikely. More likely they would decide for converted Abrams (that means, w/o the gas turbine and a diesel instead). Yet I am pretty sure they will get the Leo2 in the end. Unfortunately the german army (or better: the administration) is more than willing to reduce our Leo2 reserves.

caglars

Turkey was planning to buy 1000 MBT (probably Leo-2 A6) in order to maintain its strike power while the research and development studies were being made for "TANK 2000 - Turkish Main Battle Tank" project. But because of the economic crisis occured in 2001 both the pruchase and the development projects were postponed.

Another reason about not buying the German Tanks was that Germany wanted to put an item in the purchase contract, that the tanks wouldn't be used in the south-eastern part of Turkey.

As the economy improves, like many other defence projects, the TANK 2000 project is put in the agenda again. In summer 2004, three Turkish Companies signed an agreement with Turkish Undersecretariat for Defence Industries for the research studies of "TANK 2000". Like achieved in the T-155 (self-propelled howitzer) project, the MBT project anticipates the development and production of a MBT within in a decade.

While the project continues, Turkey is going to have its M-60s upgraded to SABRA by IMI (Israel Military Ind.) and improve the Leo-1s.

Buying 250-300 Leo-2 A4 and upgrading them could have been a power factor for Turkey in the next decade.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
caglars said:
Turkey was planning to buy 1000 MBT (probably Leo-2 A6)
I was under the distinct impression that the Leo2-A6 was not for export. Turin are you aware of the status of this??

caglars

Actually the one that were sent to Turkey for testing, was a Leopard 2 A5...
But it was desired to buy the A6 version.

In both cases, whether purchasing A5 or A6, Germans created alot of troubles.
As far as I know even sending the A5 version to Turkey for testing, almost made the coalition to lose vote of convidince.

So it was cancelled.

But I guess Germany sold A6s to Netherlands or Sweden...

turin

gf0012-aust said:
I was under the distinct impression that the Leo2-A6 was not for export. Turin are you aware of the status of this??
The A6 version is available for export. Current operators of this version are Spain (sometimes called Leopard 2E) and Greece (Leopard 2HEL). Some time ago the Netherlands decided to upgrade their A5 tanks to the A6 standard as well, at least for the new L/55 main gun. The greek and spanish versions are basically A6, however with some further enhancements like additional rooftop armor, better day and nightvision optics (2E) or the addition of the GALIX self defense system (2HEL). Some of these systems where shown with the A6EX which was build mostly do demonstrate A6 packages to interested customers by builder KM-Wegmann.

Latest rumors with Turkey where that the most likely variant would be the purchase of used german 2A4 and their modification to A6 standard. The 1.000-number is an old one and was aiming for A5 versions.