The Threat of the Web in Today's age - What actions can be taken?

My2Cents

I bet it wasn't a geek who told you that, it would have been an accountant or a troglodyte.

maybe they should be asking for technical validation about how good that open source encryption really is - or try to buy keys through the feds at a cheaper rate (ironkey is a tad on the expensive side - and not cleared AFAIK for use on high systems...
Government certified and approved systems are typically 1 or more generations behind commercial systems because of the slow approval process. Most of the systems based on hardware use similar algorithms, but the principle difference between them is the key length, which determines the vulnerability to brute force attacks, which is generally longer in the commercial software.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Government certified and approved systems are typically 1 or more generations behind commercial systems because of the slow approval process. Most of the systems based on hardware use similar algorithms, but the principle difference between them is the key length, which determines the vulnerability to brute force attacks, which is generally longer in the commercial software.
Its not just a matter of whether its 128 or 256, or encryption. the reality is that commercial agencies seek and need to get their devices approved (and tested) by the relevant agency in australia.

the major cyber detection tools in place in australia are govt developed, although if you listened to commercial enitities you would have assumed that they are the ones with the major skin in the game,

the reality is the opposite in australia, and as we also share cyber capability with partners and they have similar accreditation and test constructs......

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hard for me to comment on all of this due to my previous background, but interesting that we still seem to be behind the curve on this from a military/federal/state and for that matter business/civillian point of view. We have been aware of all of this from day dot, and im talking 186 and monochrome screen times !! we knew the capabilities of the systems, and knew the risks/weak points etc, IT Sec has been there from day dot pointing out the risk, but the problem is bureaucracy moves much much slower than the people with no rules wreaking havoc on all forms of systems.This has always been the single biggest problem, bureaucracy is just to slow, bean counting does not help either :(
As far as encryption goes, well I could rave on that one for some time :) But allas that aint going to happen :( Some things you just can't talk about

Cheers

fbi098

Here's a standard bit of suggestions We have for folks, which in turn I've discovered tends to make existence simpler. Any time inside skepticism, perform idiotic. It is simpler (safer too) for being educated although seem to be equipped associated with lack of knowledge, when compared with this shall be uninformed although appear to behave as however you are educated.