The Outlook publication on I N S Arihant.

A.Mookerjee

Banned Member
There was an excellent writing on I N S Arihant on Outlook magazine. The ex naval officer who wrote for the nuclear submarine was very expressive in his expressions. The Indian Navy finds itself in the exotic position of having a ballistic missile nuclear submarine first, and then a submarine will follow later, which will have torpedoes as the weapon of primary use. I was disappointed, as it would be easier perhaps to build a nuclear submarine with a conventional naval role first, rather than a ballistic missile submarine. Or perhaps not. Perhaps it is easier for us Indian's to integrate a ballistic missile system on a nuclear submarine, than it is for us to develop the torpedoes in an anti ship role, but I have read that the I N S Arihant has anti ship torpedoes too. This is understandable, as the main threat to the Arihant will come from the enemy naval vessels. If I may be very brutal in my expression, then I may say that nuclear weapons proliferation has made the world a safer place. The second world war took place as an event because the atomic bomb had not been invented at the start of the world war. Now in the globe, military powers are more circumspect to enter into military operations, even though there are not many atomic powers in the world.

dragonfire

I was disappointed, as it would be easier perhaps to build a nuclear submarine with a conventional naval role first, rather than a ballistic missile submarine. Or perhaps not.
The initial plan was to build a nuc-powered attack sub rather than a SSBN, this was changed to support the nuclear no first strike policy and to have an effective secons strike capability. It is part of the nuclear triad of land based ballistic missiles tippped with nuc warheads, the Mirage 2000 is configured to carry and deliver nuclear bombs and the third was always intended to be nuc tipped SLBM's launched from nuc-subs

If I may be very brutal in my expression, then I may say that nuclear weapons proliferation has made the world a safer place. The second world war took place as an event because the atomic bomb had not been invented at the start of the world war. Now in the globe, military powers are more circumspect to enter into military operations, even though there are not many atomic powers in the world.
This was the basis of the thought process during the cold war. The MAD (Mutualy assured destruction) line of thought was the major undertone during the cold war, pl look it up if req