The most advanced space craft of the recent time

bearnard19

What was the most advanced space craft of the recent time that surprised you the most? As you can see technology nowadays is a fast developing thing and a lot of stuff have been invented for the recent time that can make a scientific breakthrough. What was the most special for you?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
What was the most advanced space craft of the recent time that surprised you the most? As you can see technology nowadays is a fast developing thing and a lot of stuff have been invented for the recent time that can make a scientific breakthrough. What was the most special for you?
This question by its very nature can not have a simple answer. What do you consider "advanced"? The Space Shuttle was very impressive for it's time. It's Soviet counter-part the Buran was even more ambitious (planning to launch them off the back of heavy cargo planes). SpaceX's Starship is quite impressive, and ambitious, aiming for re-usable interplanetary flights. So is the Boeing X-37 spaceplane has shown impressive results, spending extended time in orbit, . Roskosmos' Nuklon project, assuming it works out, also holds much promise (orbit-to-orbit interplanetary flight under nuclear power).

I'm also having hard time seeing what exactly you want to discuss. The topic is so potentially broad that it's hard to say much of anything specific without launching into a giant lecture on spacecraft.

bearnard19

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This question by its very nature can not have a simple answer. What do you consider "advanced"? The Space Shuttle was very impressive for it's time. It's Soviet counter-part the Buran was even more ambitious (planning to launch them off the back of heavy cargo planes). SpaceX's Starship is quite impressive, and ambitious, aiming for re-usable interplanetary flights. So is the Boeing X-37 spaceplane has shown impressive results, spending extended time in orbit, . Roskosmos' Nuklon project, assuming it works out, also holds much promise (orbit-to-orbit interplanetary flight under nuclear power).

I'm also having hard time seeing what exactly you want to discuss. The topic is so potentially broad that it's hard to say much of anything specific without launching into a giant lecture on spacecraft.
I agree with you. All spacecrafts you`ve mentioned are really impressive but I`d like to mention the Parker Solar Probe. Simply for getting closer to the sun than any other spacecraft so far and considering how hard it is to get that close. The space craft which is capable to take samples from the outer corona of the Sun really makes you amazed by it, because of the high temperature it can endure.

bearnard19

Also, the Dawn Probe. It uses an advanced ion thruster, allowing it to be the first (man-made) spacecraft to orbit multiple non-terrestrial bodies (Vesta and Ceres). This feat would not be possible (practical) using conventional chemical thrusters, which have too low of a specific impulse.

Redlands18

Also, the Dawn Probe. It uses an advanced ion thruster, allowing it to be the first (man-made) spacecraft to orbit multiple non-terrestrial bodies (Vesta and Ceres). This feat would not be possible (practical) using conventional chemical thrusters, which have too low of a specific impulse.
Can i make a friendly suggestion? Include a Link to your subject, it is sort of expected on this site. And it will add credibility to your Posts.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with you. All spacecrafts you`ve mentioned are really impressive but I`d like to mention the Parker Solar Probe. Simply for getting closer to the sun than any other spacecraft so far and considering how hard it is to get that close. The space craft which is capable to take samples from the outer corona of the Sun really makes you amazed by it, because of the high temperature it can endure.
It makes sense in a way but this gets me back to my point. What exactly do you want to discuss? You posed a question so broad as to border on being meaningless.

bearnard19

It makes sense in a way but this gets me back to my point. What exactly do you want to discuss? You posed a question so broad as to border on being meaningless.
I just wanted to discuss the spacecrafts you consider the most advanced nowadays. And we could probably get to know something new from the world of space technology and scientific world.

Sandhi Yudha

I just wanted to discuss the spacecrafts you consider the most advanced nowadays. And we could probably get to know something new from the world of space technology and scientific world.
Like Feanor already said, your question is very broad, it will be more prqctical if tge topic is more specific, like observation/measurement systems or propulsion systems.
Like you already mention Deep Space 1 and Dawn are good examples of advanced propulsion.

Here a link to a newsreport of the testflight of Starship Prototype SN9 : advanced and spectaculair!

Two bonus videos.

Last edited:

bearnard19

Sources required as per the rules.
Like Feanor already said, your question is very broad, it will be more prqctical if tge topic is more specific, like observation/measurement systems or propulsion systems.
Like you already mention Deep Space 1 and Dawn are good examples of advanced propulsion.

Here a link to a newsreport of the testflight of Starship Prototype SN9 : advanced and spectaculair!

Two bonus videos.
Have you heard that Elon Musk hinted about sea launch platforms for Starship
NSF's Michael Baylor (nextspaceflight) discovered twin sea platforms have been bought by "Lone Star Mineral Development LLC," which is either a SpaceX subsidiary or a leasing company. Price: $3.5 million each, Nailing it down; Lone Star was incorporated just before the sale, and the officer for Lone Star Mineral Development LLC is listed as Bret Johnsen - SpaceX's CFO
In their previous life they were Enesco 8500 and Ensco 8501, identical ultra-deepwater semi-submersibles. Deimos is in Brownsville, Phobos in Galveston.

@bearnard19 YOU DO NOT REMOVE MODERATORS GREEN OR RED TEXT FROM YOUR POSTS AT ALL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandhi Yudha

Have you heard that Elon Musk hinted about sea launch platforms for Starship
NSF's Michael Baylor (nextspaceflight) discovered twin sea platforms have been bought by "Lone Star Mineral Development LLC," which is either a SpaceX subsidiary or a leasing company. Price: $3.5 million each,
Nailing it down; Lone Star was incorporated just before the sale, and the officer for Lone Star Mineral Development LLC is listed as Bret Johnsen - SpaceX's CFO
In their previous life they were Enesco 8500 and Ensco 8501, identical ultra-deepwater semi-submersibles. Deimos is in Brownsville, Phobos in Galveston.
Yes, you mean these articles?
Space X have some great plans. Just $3,5 million for each platform, thats a smart move!

bearnard19

Yes, you mean these articles?
Space X have some great plans. Just $3,5 million for each platform, thats a smart move!

Yeah, this is it, thanks)
I guess it was a great idea to build floating platform.Super Heavy will be the highest thrust rocket booster ever built, so extremely loud with a huge propellant load. If one were ever to blow up near the ground it'd be like the recent Beirut explosion. Solution: put it 10-20 km out to sea.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah, this is it, thanks)
I guess it was a great idea to build floating platform.Super Heavy will be the highest thrust rocket booster ever built, so extremely loud with a huge propellant load. If one were ever to blow up near the ground it'd be like the recent Beirut explosion. Solution: put it 10-20 km out to sea.
They're going to need to prove the rocket is safer than the spaceship then. This is what happens when a landing goes wrong.

Photo is a screen capture from yesterday's Space-X flight test. Oops.

oldsig

Attachments