The Indonesian Army

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This video shown First Batch of Harimau/Kaplan MT, do goes to KODAM Cavalry Battalion level as AMX 13 replacement. Thus it is just matter how fast they can be procure and produce, for time table on replacing AMX 13 overall.

This Battalion is one of user that still operate AMX-13 75 (as the photo from last January article of Balikpapan Post shown). Located in Balikpapan thus near the New Capital IKN, is not coincidence on why this Battalion choose to become Harimau first user.

Add:
More complete video on Harimau MT entering their new home in West Kalimantan 13th Cavalry Battalion.

Last edited:

deadlast

This Battalion is one of user that still operate AMX-13 75 (as the photo from last January article of Balikpapan Post shown). Located in Balikpapan thus near the New Capital IKN, is not coincidence on why this Battalion choose to become Harimau first user.
This unit used the ex-Dutch AMX-13/105, that photo shows the double baffle muzzle device (Bow-tie shaped) at the end of the barrel, indicating it is the CN 105-57 gun version mounted on the FL-12 turret (All AMX-13 with FL-12 turret were obtained from the Dutch, all of them use 105mm gun) instead of the original CN 75-50 (SA 50) with single baffle muzzle device (rectangular shaped) on the FL-10 turret sourced directly from the French.

Also, if you see another double baffle muzzle device on the Indonesian AMX-13 and it has a rounded shape/profile (instead of bow-tie shape of the CN 105-57 muzzle device) then you are looking at the upgraded tanks with CN 105-G1 gun, mostly found on the ex-Dutch tanks, but sometimes you see them on the old French sourced AMX-13 chassis but with the Dutch FL-12 turret fitted on top mounted with or without the upgraded CN 105-G1 gun.

To add, Pindad's AMX-13/Retrofit also used the upgraded CN 105-G1 gun, but they opt to slapped on the SK-105 Kurassier turret instead of reusing the existing FL-12 turret.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
unit used the ex-Dutch AMX-13/105, that photo shows the double baffle muzzle device (Bow-tie shaped) at the end of the barrel, indicating it is the CN 105-57 gun version mounted on the FL-12 turret (All AMX-13 with FL-12 turret were obtained from the Dutch, all of them use 105mm gun) instead of the original CN 75-50 (SA 50) with single baffle muzzle device (rectangular shaped) on the FL-10 turret sourced directly from the French.
Thanks for correction. My amateur eyes got miss identify with 75-50. I thought this is similar to this 75-50 picture:

ve_fsv_amx13_m04.jpg

Thus I miss identify 105-57 with 75-50. Thanks for explanation. 105-G1 is easier to differentiate for me. However honestly I also miss to see that in Pindad retrofit, they use Kurrasier turret. I thought Pindad modified and add-on armour on FL-12 turret.

Last edited:

deadlast

Thus I miss identify 105-57 with 75-50. Thanks for explanation. 105-G1 is easier to differentiate for me. However honestly I also miss to see that in Pindad retrofit, they use Kurrasier turret. I thought Pindad modified and add-on armour on FL-12 turret.
The easiest way to differentiate between SK-105 Kurassier, Steyr JT-1 turret and the original French, Fives-Cail-Babcock FL-12 turret is to look at the design of their antenna base/mount, the Steyr JT-1 has square-ish base antenna shape, while the FL-12 has triangular-ish shape instead.
The other giveaway is the number of smoke-grenade launcher/projectors, FL-12 has two launcher on each side of the turret while JT-1 has three launcher on each side.
The other notable one is the large optic housing on the roof of the JT-1 turret magazines (not present on the original FL-12 turret), in the original JT-1 turret it accommodate the laser rangefinder module, while on the Pindad's retrofit it was repurposed to house the EO component (laser range finder, thermal imager, day camera) for the new FCS.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
while on the Pindad's retrofit it was repurposed to house the EO component (laser range finder, thermal imager, day camera) for the new FCS.
@deadlast do you have more info on the AMX VCI retrofit ? Today I found the info on Indian upgrade and retrofit of their BMP II (put it on Indian Army thread). Info so far also that Pindad also doing retrofit not just to AMX 13 but also VCI ones. Still not much I could find on VCI retrofit.

With limited procurement budget to the Army, as more being allocated toward AF and Navy procurement, retrofitting existing assets is the most Army can hope for. Perhaps I'm wrong but with their ambition on increasing Army Airwing and Point Defense, just not see much room in Armour except for Pandur II and Pindad new products.

deadlast

@deadlast do you have more info on the AMX VCI retrofit ? Today I found the info on Indian upgrade and retrofit of their BMP II (put it on Indian Army thread). Info so far also that Pindad also doing retrofit not just to AMX 13 but also VCI ones. Still not much I could find on VCI retrofit.

With limited procurement budget to the Army, as more being allocated toward AF and Navy procurement, retrofitting existing assets is the most Army can hope for. Perhaps I'm wrong but with their ambition on increasing Army Airwing and Point Defense, just not see much room in Armour except for Pandur II and Pindad new products.
They did upgrade some of the VCI/VCTB version IINM.
The scope should be the same with the AMX-13/Retrofit, powerpack/drivetrain/suspension wise but without the gun/turret/fcs upgrade part.

Note the same glacis shape with the AMX-13 Retrofit to accommodate new powerpack and drivetrain.

Btw, the number of vehicle getting the upgrade/retrofit is pretty low, the exact number is blur but I hear only less than 30 vehicle get them (overall, for both the AMX-13 Retrofit & AMX VCI/VCTB), again, the budget is the limiting factor here, but the upgrade cost itself, by a some is deemed too much, probably due to the fact that most of the upgrade items are sourced from other countries and also compared to the cost of second-hand MBT across Europe at the time (before Ukraine conflict).

Agreed, hard to see the army get new allocation for armor following the recent trend of MoD budgeting, the most they could do near term is increasing the Pandur/Harimau order through Pindad to get enough traction with 'Karya Anak Bangsa' or 'ToT' (as much as I hate that sentence/term) magic to secure their funding.

But I also found these:
Technical discussion about AMX-13 Retrofit program using 2023 foreign loan allocation. So maybe we're going to get more AMX-13 Retrofit in the future? weird that they used foreign loan for these but, who knows.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
weird that they used foreign loan for these but, who knows.
PDN means more likely they use domestic financial institutions (FI) creditors line (most likely from SOE Banks), while PLN use international FI credits line. It's more likely related to each creditors availability.

Source of supplier can also matter, if (as some perticular Euro Salesman claim) that getting Euro FI line is harder for Turkish products, perhaps the domestic FI more willing to take that deal. All I know that whether to use Overseas or Domestic credit line, tied up with availabilities of credit line offering. They are going to be differ base on each FI credit appetites assessment.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
In 2022 Pindad and Nexter already sign MOU for Ammo co-op production. Recently Indonesian journalists team being invited to Nexter Land Based facility in France. The purpose seems Nexter information on the scope of co-op, and development on the co-op.

The video in Indonesia, however Nexter team explanation is in English.

Sandhi Yudha

This video shown First Batch of Harimau/Kaplan MT, do goes to KODAM Cavalry Battalion level as AMX 13 replacement. Thus it is just matter how fast they can be procure and produce, for time table on replacing AMX 13 overall.

Add:
More complete video on Harimau MT entering their new home in West Kalimantan 13th Cavalry Battalion.

Here we have a longer video of the delivery of the first Harimau Medium Tanks. We can also see that there were at least 2 and maybe even 3 Harimaus delivered.
Penerimaan Medium Tank Harimau, produksi bersama PT Pindad Indonesia dan FNSS, Turki. - YouTube

Update: Here we can see that at least 9 Harimau Medium Tanks are delivered to Yonkav 13.

In 2022 Pindad and Nexter already sign MOU for Ammo co-op production. Recently Indonesian journalists team being invited to Nexter Land Based facility in France. The purpose seems Nexter information on the scope of co-op, and development on the co-op.

The video in Indonesia, however Nexter team explanation is in English.

I dont understand why Kompas put the same fake explosion sound over every part where there is a shot. Better to not add anything. Amateurs...

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Around less then an hour ago, there's fire in one of TNI-AD armory in Jakarta suburb area call Bekasi. This is a rare situation, the last time Armory in Jakarta having fire accident is close to four decades ago, when Marines Armory cought fire.

No progress on this yet, from what I heard. The fire brigade are still keeping their distance due to explosions. Seems they are now more focus on evacuating the surrounding residences. This is going to raise questions on Army Armory procedures and can be politicaly highlights close after election times.

Sandhi Yudha

Around less then an hour ago, there's fire in one of TNI-AD armory in Jakarta suburb area call Bekasi. This is a rare situation, the last time Armory in Jakarta having fire accident is close to four decades ago, when Marines Armory cought fire.

No progress on this yet, from what I heard. The fire brigade are still keeping their distance due to explosions. Seems they are now more focus on evacuating the surrounding residences. This is going to raise questions on Army Armory procedures and can be politicaly highlights close after election times.
According to Antara it happened in Bogor-area.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Commanding General of Jakarta Military District told media that the ammo in the burned armory are already expired munitions. It should be and already in the process to be destroy and disposed. However although he doesn't say that in media, by the way he said that, it is hold up under bureaucracy process.

However he's certain no casualties as the armory already build underground and sealed by layers of concrete. This means with the kind of fire and exolosions (as video showns), the actual munition cook up quite significant (considering) the facility is already underground.

Either way I do suspect this will lead questioning and investigating on the munition disposal process.

Sandhi Yudha

So there are two positive points in this munition depot accident.
1. No casualties.
2. Only the destruction of old and expired stuff. (And not brand new expensive advanced items like NLAWs, AGM-114 Hellfires, FGM-148 Javelins and Starstreaks.)