The Arab Problem

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There's more than a subtle difference between nation states that are involved and individuals from nation states that are involved.

There have been individual australians who have been involved with this event, by your logic does that mean that the nation is culpable of participation by association?

Nope. Not at all. You're taking an awfully broad sweep of the cutlass to articulate a preferred point of view.

It's a bit like damning all americans as slothfull capitalists, or all arabs as crazy terrorists, or all chinese as enemies of the IPO.

It's a dramatic statement, but lacks substance (like all of the above examples)

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
We7det_el_qetal_ra3d said:
Nope actually a majority has to exist, coz any body who doesn't approve of the resistance could simply report their movments and they will be toast, so for them to move freely they have to be moving through a majority of friendly supporters
I disagree. There are plenty of examples where resistance (or, depending on your point of definition and view, terrorism) is not supported by a majority and survives for a long time e.g. ETA, IRA. True, the greater/smaller the base of support the easier/harder that is. However, its a fallacy to argue that because there is resistance or guerilla activity there must be a majority of the populace in support of it.

, and I didn't say that no arab country isn't involved in Iraq, i said that they are all involved so the US can't name any single country responsible for the resistance.
You're right, I misread that part.

We7det_el_qetal

To Mr. gf0012-aust,

Actually when the (individuals) from a certain country constitute a significant percentage of the resistance then yes this country has it's share in the events, and actually this site is for amateurs and enthusiasts about defense issues so lacking substance actually applies to all posts here since the only posts that don't lack substance are those by people who actually take the important decisions or posts which are discussing a non deniable fact, and since both the afore mentioned examples don't apply here then ur statement is a very general statement :) .

To Mr. tatra

with all due respect ETA, IRA are childs play compared to the Iraqi resistance which is bleeding the most powerful nation on earth, so when u talk about a movement of such magnitude then a support by the majority of the populace is required and why argue about that :nonsense

days will show where the alegiance of the Iraqis is , so all we need is just wait and see it's all a matter of months before Alawy's puppet government starts talking rash measures to quell the resistance ( leading to swelling it's ranks ) and perhaps commiting some atrocities ( which will realy set the game going :mrgreen ), so days will reward those who saw it coming and punish those who chose to ignore the signs, so actually all we have to do is wait and see ;)

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
with all due respect ETA, IRA are childs play compared to the Iraqi resistance which is bleeding the most powerful nation on earth, so when u talk about a movement of such magnitude then a support by the majority of the populace is required and why argue about that :nonsense

days will show where the alegiance of the Iraqis is , so all we need is just wait and see it's all a matter of months before Alawy's puppet government starts talking rash measures to quell the resistance ( leading to swelling it's ranks ) and perhaps commiting some atrocities ( which will realy set the game going :mrgreen ), so days will reward those who saw it coming and punish those who chose to ignore the signs, so actually all we have to do is wait and see ;)
You have the right to be proud but pride should not cloud your objectivity or color your judgement. All I'm saying is that for most people it is impossible to know at this time whether a majority acutally supports. Ordinary people tend to be scared in war situation and may very well merely not report resistance activity for fear of retaliation rather than actively support. It is important to recognize there is a difference and not to jump to conclusions. Untill I see the result of fair and open elections I remain sceptical of anybody speaking about or on behalf of 'the majority".

We7det_el_qetal

yup u said the magic word :) "Election" , and I think fair elections under international supervision in Iraq is the only solution in this situation, so here we must agree that election is undisputed eveidence to support either of the two views, well put Tatra :) .