Taiwan to buy submarines, P3C Orion & Patriot Systems

Frozen Hell

Taiwan is to spend a big budget of S$25.3-billion for US-made weaponry before its presidential election next month.

The island will buy 8 submarines, 12 submarine-hunting P3C Orion aircraft and 3 Patriot anti-missile systems as approved by US President George W. Bush in 2001, according to the China Times.

The paper quoted unnamed military officials as saying the Defence Ministry had told the navy and army to speed up planning to finalise the budget two days before the March 20 poll.

They denied the move was politically motivated, saying the budgeting process had been under way since the approval of the arms package three years ago.

Defence Minister Tang Yao-ming denied intervention from the ministry in pushing through the defence budget before the election.

'I will not intervene whether or not this will be done by March 18, but I can be sure that the plan won't be completed before March 20,' he told parliament. Ends.

China is already upset over Taiwans missile purchases.

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
$25 billion? Hell thts a lota money. Are u sure it was over only subs, orions and patriots? how much does a patriot cost anyway?

mysterious

I bet China (when this news was published) was moving more missiles towards the direction of Taiwan. They already have hundreds facing Taiwan and if they are to surprise Taiwan in a war where advanced weaponry favors Taiwan; China can only take iTaiwan out with those hundreds of ballistic missiles aimed at it! :cop

A

Aussie Digger

Media reports generally when referring to planned defence acquisitions only refer to "big ticket" systems, ie: Subs, PC-3 Orions and Patriot systems. They have no interest in the logistics, maintenance, command and control and training systems that need to be brought in to allow these systems to function effectively. The $25 Billion would no doubt refer to their entire acquisition program, with the 3 main systems being acquired being the subs etc. "Bullets, bombs and beans" aren't really newsworthy, but they are essential in providing military capability. No platform can be effective if it didn't have fuel to power it, ordance to fight with and people to operate and maintain it. Cheers.

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
China can only take Taiwan out with those hundreds of ballistic missiles aimed at it! :cop
I agree China can only take out Taiwan utilizing quantity and not quality missiles.

But, China will never attack Taiwan and will never kill its own Taiwanese Chinese people. :smokingc:

mysterious

Roger Smith said:
mysterious said:
China can only take Taiwan out with those hundreds of ballistic missiles aimed at it! :cop
I agree China can only take out Taiwan utilizing quantity and not quality missiles.

But, China will never attack Taiwan and will never kill its own Taiwanese Chinese people. :smokingc:
I disagree. The US knows that if they support Taiwan too much and allow Taiwan to declare independance officially; a Chinese attack is imminent, thats why you can see that Washington only goes to a limit at favoring Taiwan like you saw that Washington disagreed with the referendum that Taiwan was bent on holding! I dont think China is interested in taking out Taiwan's civilian population in an attack, rather they will try and take out almost all of Taiwan's military bases and sites! :smokingc:

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
Roger Smith said:
mysterious said:

I disagree. The US knows that if they support Taiwan too much and allow Taiwan to declare independance officially; a Chinese attack is imminent, thats why you can see that Washington only goes to a limit at favoring Taiwan like you saw that Washington disagreed with the referendum that Taiwan was bent on holding! I dont think China is interested in taking out Taiwan's civilian population in an attack, rather they will try and take out almost all of Taiwan's military bases and sites! :smokingc:
I have lived in Far East and know the Chinese people. They will never attack their own Taiwanese people. :D

mysterious

So thats what I just said. Did you read my post the other way round or something? LOL China would only target military sites in Taiwan if it decides to attack it. NOT the civilian population!

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
So thats what I just said. Did you read my post the other way round or something? LOL China would only target military sites in Taiwan if it decides to attack it. NOT the civilian population!
Taiwan is an over crowded island, hitting any military target will effect local population and that will cause anti-communist by the Taiwanese as well throughout the world against China.

China could not afford to do so. :smokingc:

mysterious

Roger Smith said:
mysterious said:
Taiwan is an over crowded island, hitting any military target will effect local population and that will cause anti-communist by the Taiwanese as well throughout the world against China.

LOL. Your arguement is strange enough! When US killed thousands of Iraqis in the current Iraq war; I'm sure they must've considered that civilian casualties are un-avoidable and stuff and that it would give rise to anti-American feeling in Iraq and the Middle East. Did that stop them from going to war? No way! :smokingc:

The Watcher

mysterious look at his comments. once china attacks taiwan the media in US will cry communism and people will react since its the dreaded communism. US has much better media backbone and international audience than china does. china may have internal networks aimed at changing minds and thinking of its own people but it has no real way to get out to the rest of the world and tell the world its side of the story so there china loses its media war and once that happens china will end up with a bad image since US media would have done its job of lying, distorting facts, etc. you know the usual stuff. ;)

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
Roger Smith said:
mysterious said:

LOL. Your arguement is strange enough! When US killed thousands of Iraqis in the current Iraq war; I'm sure they must've considered that civilian casualties are un-avoidable and stuff and that it would give rise to anti-American feeling in Iraq and the Middle East. Did that stop them from going to war? No way! :smokingc:
America is the lone super power and getting its work done as well all countries bow to them., that is the bottom-line! ;)