Russian flagship 'could explode'

mysterious

Russian flagship 'could explode'
The flagship of Russia's northern fleet has been ordered back to port as it is too dangerous to be at sea, says Russia's naval commander-in-chief.
Admiral Vladimir Kuroyedov said the nuclear cruiser Peter the Great "could go sky high at any minute".

He said this was especially dangerous as the ship was equipped with a nuclear reactor.

But correspondents say the move could be linked to disagreements between senior naval officers.

It could also be part of a campaign for greater funding from government.

Admiral Kuroyedov's remarks are thought to be aimed at the ship's captain, Rear-Admiral Vladimir Kasatonov.

The captain's uncle, himself a retired admiral, was recently highly critical of Admiral Kuroyedov in a court hearing on the sinking of a nuclear submarine last year in which nine sailors died.

The 40-year-old K-159 submarine sank in the Barents Sea in bad weather on 30 August as it was being towed to a scrapyard.

Reactor worries

The Northern Fleet has been plagued by a series of such incidents beginning with the Kursk submarine disaster in the same sea in August 2000.

Admiral Kuroyedov said he had ordered the ship back to port after an inspection during naval exercises in the Barents Sea last Wednesday.

"In those places on board where the admirals actually go, everything's fine, but where they don't go, everything's in such a state it could go sky high at any minute," he said. "And by that I also mean the state of the nuclear reactor.

"It is this attitude to the upkeep of their ships on the part of commanders that is leading to the collapse of the fleet."

The Peter the Great is normally based near the northern port of Murmansk, but the ship's current location has not been specified.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3560249.stm

Now, whats this I just read?!?!? Are the Russian forces so much in need of funding or what? :roll

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This sure is a popular topic, ;) It's on about 4 other forums I've seen so far.

But it does reinforce the poor state of affairs of Russian maintenance. Although some believe that this may be a power play statement between the Navy and the Govt to extract more funds.

It's estimated that up to 80% of Russias penanted fleet are immobile and combat ineffectual.

Basically the only thing keeping Russia at number 2 spot is the sheer number of nukes that they still have. Their conventional forces are so badly run down that it's almost embarassing.

mysterious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And their runned down conventional capability was only high-lightened after the two failed missiles launches that occured last month in what were termed as 'major' military exercises by Russians in years! I think, apart from their nuclear (non-conventional) forces, Russia is no more a match for China's conventional capability! Right gf? :smokingc:

Roger Smith

Technical set-back or hitches are always there in any operational aspect. Even top automobile makers like GM or Toyota recalls their vehicles back due to technical errors.

It happens and there is no big deal. ;)

mysterious

OH! So you are totally denying that Russian armed forces are strapped for cash and majorly need some financing? I wonder which world you live in Roger. Sure there as hitches and glitches but not of this magnitude! :smokingc:

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
if this goes on, It will be some time before China, India or Pakistan will be No. 2 on the list.

mysterious

I guess if Russia leaves the No. 2 spot, then most probably China would take its place. India and Pakistan are way way behind anything that could even in their dreams put either of them in the No. 2 spot. ;)

FARHAN_KHAN007

mysterious said:
I guess if Russia leaves the No. 2 spot, then most probably China would take its place. India and Pakistan are way way behind anything that could even in their dreams put either of them in the No. 2 spot. ;)
not a bad :D2

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
OH! So you are totally denying that Russian armed forces are strapped for cash and majorly need some financing? I wonder which world you live in Roger. Sure there as hitches and glitches but not of this magnitude! :smokingc:
Mys.......Yes, the Russian are short of funds, but technical problems can happen to any mechnical aspect at any time, any where and at any place. ;)

BTW, we both live in the land of Maple Leaf...........Oh Canada! :smokingc:

mysterious

Yeah I know Roger, but somehow I still havent built a liking for the Maple Leaf syrup other than it being put on pancakes! :smokingc:

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
Yeah I know Roger, but somehow I still havent built a liking for the Maple Leaf syrup other than it being put on pancakes! :smokingc:
Besides, Maple syrup..............you can stuffed the pancakes with fresh fruits like strawberries or fresh jam and top it with thick cream, it is very nice........yummy! ;)

I like everything and anything sweet things, I mean everything that include sweet female too. :smokingc:

Take care. :roll