Russia might make ICBM submersible

NewOldGuy

Hello,

Just found an interesting article regarding development of submersible ICBMs in Russia bit . ly/187Qb8U (sorry, guys, I dont' have enough post to submit links, so, maybe admins will repost it and remove from my message. Though the article is in Russian, but I believe google translate can make it understandable)

Looks like the old USSR project was not developing in rush, but anyway, it's on the way (according to the article) and in a couple of months new type of ICBM can be tested. Actually sometimes that site posted unreliable data and I'm not 100% sure that it's real.
Does anybody have some information on that or maybe point to other more reliable sources of information (I'm not talking about Wikipedia :D ) ?
How can it change the balance or can it make life harder for the USA?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The B-90 Sarov sub was seen loading some strange missile containers that were supposedly submersed missile launch tubes, to be mounted in the White Sea. It's not however clear that they're ICBMs. They could be cruise missiles, AShMs, or even torpedoes. The project is under ORK Skif (Scythian). The project was first tested in October 2008, and testing has continued since then using the B-90 sub, and a submarine rescue ship. Supposedly a launch of some sort was performed from the B-90 sub, in 2008, and was successful, but what was launched, where, and at what, is completely unclear.

The last news was that on May 21st there was to be a submerged launch of a ballistic missile, under OKR Skif, under control of the B-90 sub. It's not specified whether the missile will be on the B-90. Most likely not.

Photos, and article in Russian, here: http://militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-746.html