Royal Norwegian Air Force news and discussion

John Newman

The Bunker Group
It was announced today that Norway is making a quite large order of AMRAAM-D -- 5 billion NOK ($502 million).

This is the largest weapons/munition order ever placed by Norway. According to some sources the unit cost is around 1 million, so this should be approx. 500 AMRAAM-D.

Norway will ultimately have 48 Norwegian based F-35 (+4 US based dedicated for training only), so 500 AMRAAM-D seems a bit over the top to me, especially considering the poor state of other parts of the Norwegian armed forces. Norway has a number of AMRAAM today. Perhaps some of the current ones will be donated to Ukraine when the -D start to arrive? This could perhaps explain why we order so many?

Anyway, great news. I am just hoping we will match this by making significant orders of also AIM-9X, NSM/JSM, Stormbreakers, artillery shells, torpedoes, GMLRS missiles, etc. etc.
I don’t think your maths works.

You’re not going to get 500 AMRAAM Ds for $502m (I assume you mean USD too?).

Have a look at this DSCA notification from July this year:

Norway was requesting 205 D and up to 60 C - cost US$950m.

If you have a look through DSCA notifications you find various AMRAAM examples, you certainly don’t get 500 D or C for $500m.

Here’s one from back in 2016:

Australia was requesting 450 AMRAAM D for US$1.22b.

Vivendi

I don’t think your maths works.

You’re not going to get 500 AMRAAM Ds for $502m (I assume you mean USD too?).

Have a look at this DSCA notification from July this year:

Norway was requesting 205 D and up to 60 C - cost US$950m.

If you have a look through DSCA notifications you find various AMRAAM examples, you certainly don’t get 500 D or C for $500m.

Here’s one from back in 2016:

Australia was requesting 450 AMRAAM D for US$1.22b.
Thank you for the correction -- it seems my source on the unit cost was incorrect! Here is the source by the way, apologies for not including it in the previous post: Here Is What Each Of The Pentagon's Air-Launched Missiles And Bombs Actually Cost

I am somewhat surprised that the AMRAAM D is so expensive, it's going to be the main a2a weapon for a large number of air forces worldwide (+ used by various NASAMS customers). I hope the price will drop soon!

Edit: I think I understand the main reason for the discrepancy in cost. From the SCA above:
Also included are AIM-120 Control Sections, Captive Air Training Missiles (CATMs), and missile containers; weapon system support equipment; integration support and test equipment; transportation; repair and return support and equipment; warranties; classified and unclassified software delivery and support; spare and repair parts, consumables, and accessories; publications and technical documentation; maintenance and maintenance support; personnel training and training equipment; U.S. Government and contractor engineering, technical and logistics support services, studies and surveys; and other related elements of logistical and program support.
Silly me, here I was thinking that once a missile was integrated into an aircraft the main acquisition cost would be the missile itself. Seems I was wrong!

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Thank you for the correction -- it seems my source on the unit cost was incorrect! Here is the source by the way, apologies for not including it in the previous post: Here Is What Each Of The Pentagon's Air-Launched Missiles And Bombs Actually Cost

I am somewhat surprised that the AMRAAM D is so expensive, it's going to be the main a2a weapon for a large number of air forces worldwide (+ used by various NASAMS customers). I hope the price will drop soon!
Keep in mind that the US DSCA notices which list both potential cost and quantities, also often include additional packages beyond 'just' the ordnance itself, and that in reality most users of kit sourced from the US are purchasing much more than just the ordnance or kit. Training and support packages, plus the potential to tap into US spares and parts logistics , whilst not free are certainly of significant value.

Bradyp

hello
Sorry to bother you
I don't know if I'm on the right thread
I would like to know who is in charge of the ørland base in Norway, which is the main base of the Royal Norwegian Air Force. If you know it could help me. Because I can't find this information on the internet. Maybe in the AIP (Aeronautical information publication) but I don't know in which chapter
Thank you for your help

Redlands18

hello
Sorry to bother you
I don't know if I'm on the right thread
I would like to know who is in charge of the ørland base in Norway, which is the main base of the Royal Norwegian Air Force. If you know it could help me. Because I can't find this information on the internet. Maybe in the AIP (Aeronautical information publication) but I don't know in which chapter
Thank you for your help
The Base should have a PR Office for general inquiries, doubt it is a secret.

Bradyp

The Base should have a PR Office for general inquiries, doubt it is a secret.
thank you for your answer
it is possible I will continue my research. I had sent some mails to the municipality and to the Ministry of Defense but it remained without answer for the moment
I also sent them a letter to the base of ørland a week ago even if I doubt that he answers me by letter

Vivendi