Royal New Zealand Air Force

Redlands18

'Not ideal': NZ Defence Force plane lets down PM Luxon (msn.com)
What is it going to take before the NZG wakes up that these aircraft are a disaster waiting to happen, one going down over the Indian Ocean with the PM on board? or worse yet the far harder to replace, 100 Defence personnel on board? Time to retire these aircraft, strike a deal with Air NZ to provide an aircraft as needed, until replacements arrive.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
What is it going to take before the NZG wakes up that these aircraft are a disaster waiting to happen, one going down over the Indian Ocean with the PM on board? or worse yet the far harder to replace, 100 Defence personnel on board? Time to retire these aircraft, strike a deal with Air NZ to provide an aircraft as needed, until replacements arrive.
The problem is not so much the aircraft per se, but the fact that only two were acquired, so if one falls over and the other is unavailable for any reason, these situations will continue to occur.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Whether it is a disaster with one going down in the Indian ocean could depend on who is in it. If it is full of pollies and left wing jurno's it could be a blessing.:cool: But seriously i ask my self why airlines around the world are still using 757's successfully and the VP of the us sometimes uses one and we run into trouble. I think this may be defence putting pressure on pollies to stump up the money. The question of availability was asked some time ago, with reference to airlines and the excuse was that the air force had higher standards than airlines. WHY is this so with a long proven airliner.

Gibbo

The problem is not so much the aircraft per se, but the fact that only two were acquired, so if one falls over and the other is unavailable for any reason, these situations will continue to occur.
Absolutely banged the nail on the head there... 2 wasn't enough. Now Collins is saying how huge 10 of millions is... yet they admit their roads of national significance wil have cost blowouts before they've even started... maybe use some of that money & scale down the RoNS. Love him or hate him, Hipkins is right...the wrong choices are being made! What a friggin joke only weeks after fronting up & talking up defence in front of the Aussies to only then say there's no money to do anything & oh, by the way we want you to spend 6% less! How do we honestly expect this activity to pivot to rebulding & enhancing the NZDF!?!

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Pollies aren’t VIPs IMHO. As they refuse to invest in new aircraft with sufficient numbers maybe it is time to fly commercial and sell the 757s. Perhaps Trump’s 757 maintenance team should be hired, his plane doesn’t seem to fail (wouldn’t admit it I guess).

Bevan

Long time lurker, first time poster.What has happened with the plane breaking down is resulting in some interesting commentary, particularly Hipkins trying to say the wrong choices are being made - the dude was Prime Minister for 306 days and didnt do anything to replace them - Luxon has been PM for less than 100 - think we can give him to the first budget at least. Hipkins also saying they were looking to replace them is laughable, not aware of any announcement while they were in power and we know how they loved to make announcements.

One positive though is at least according to this article, the defence review has been brought forward so we may start seeing the plans from June. 'Embarrassing': PM misses meetings with world leaders after yet another NZDF plane breakdown

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
NZ isn’t the only country with VIP aircraft breaking down. Junior has had two recent incidents, India and Jamaica. The new fleet of MRTT will address this and similar aircraft for NZ is a solution.

Nighthawk.NZ

One has to remember that the B757s aren't a standard model. They got upgraded engines...(will admit don't know the ins and out of that) and they were modified with side cargo door's to take pallets once you remove the seating... so they are pretty modular.

So they aren't just a VIP or troop transport. They have been down on the ice doing on the ice things to flying PMs around the world. They were pretty versatile... but now worn out.

If we can add I tanker capabilities to that mix would be a very versatile aircraft. And for crying out loud get more than two airframes. Yes I know that not going to happen but dreams are free... well at this stage they still are.

Last edited:

Gibbo

Pollies aren’t VIPs IMHO. As they refuse to invest in new aircraft with sufficient numbers maybe it is time to fly commercial and sell the 757s. Perhaps Trump’s 757 maintenance team should be hired, his plane doesn’t seem to fail (wouldn’t admit it I guess).
Except they do a lot more than just VIP & being down to 3 x C130H in service that would be cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Hawkeye69

I can see both the 757 and Seasprite been retired sooner rather than later and no interim replacements.

Wait till they get the Defense Review, they in cabinet and Treasury will shit their undies and file it for another decade.

Nighthawk.NZ

Firstly didn't even know they were considering ... considering guubberment cutbacks...
Secondly thought the Aussies were holding onto them for a few more years...

recce.k1