Republic of Korea AF (ROKAF)

koxinga

Either way, seems KAI give enough indication to seriously study one cockpit/single seat design for further development concept on their LCA.
During LIMA 2023, KAI’s International Business Development Director for Asia, Sangshin Park was quoted.

"discussing the development of a single-engine version of the aircraft that would be designated F-50. This aircraft should begin development next year and would have completed that process by 2028."

It seems long for a platform that is already in service. Maybe they are focusing on the KF-21, and the extensive length seem to suggest a more though refresh.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Previously the plans for a single-seat fighter based on the FA-50 had been shelved in favor of placing all available resources into development of the KF-21. The revival of the F-50 single-seat aircraft is part of a corporate strategic plan called “Global KAI 2050 — Beyond Aerospace”
Nevertheless, the single-seat F-50 variant would be an upgrade in combat capabilities beyond the FA-50 two-seater and, the company claims, would have 80 percent of the capabilities of an F-16, but at a lower cost.
This two quotes that I took from the article in your link. In my opinion it is reasonate with what assessment from Bemil Chosun and what KAI talk in ADEX Seoul. The single seater fighter derive from T-50 is seriously being studied, due to potential market attractiveness.

Despite all the talk on KF-21 Boromae, it will be substantially more expensive fighters for most target market in Global South. Those market mostly looking for F-5, A-4 or Mig 21 replacement. Something that India did with Tejas. This's what drove KAI to study on resurrection of their own design that's been drop in favor for KF-21. More on I suspect the realization potential market of F-50 design going to surpass potential market of KF-21.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

KAI after being rumours on the interest to relive FA-50 Single Seat program, now officially already announce investment program for FA-50 Single Seat and drones. Single seat variance can be real suitable replacement for F-5, also can be more attractive for export. Even potentially compare to KF-21.

Personally with Indonesia lukewarm commitment to KF-21, better talk with Korea to switch co-op investment to single seat FA-50. LCA is better for DI learning curve anyway.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
FB_IMG_1710629342813.jpg

This image already circulating online for a week. This from my understanding on Korean Media, seems latest iteration model for FA-50 single seater variance or F-50. Not officially final model iteration, however base from what I read on Korean online medias, it might be close to that.

It is better iteration then previous one that basically still current FA-50 with back seat being enclosed with (rumours) additional avionics or fuel tanks. This F-50 cam really be replacement of F-5 or Mig-21 and can be attract export market from F-5 and Mig-21 previous and current users. This will competing with Indian Tejas or Chinese/Pakistan JF-17 on that part of market.

koxinga

This image already circulating online for a week. This from my understanding on Korean Media, seems latest iteration model for FA-50 single seater variance or F-50. Not officially final model iteration, however base from what I read on Korean online medias, it might be close to that.
The intakes are now more angular/diamond shaped, and there are DSI bumps. The forward fuselage also shows angled shaping.

I follow the money; W35.6 billion ($25.2 million) development budget seems low for this type of change to aerodynamics. It would also require more validation, wind tunnel testing etc. I don't know exactly how much though.

Last edited:

koxinga

I think what is truly interesting is S Korea attempting to develop F404 class turbofan. With the ESR-500A domestic AESA, we might well see a totally indigenous plane.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
follow the money; W35.6 billion ($25.2 million) development budget seems low for this type of change to aerodynamics. It would also require more validation, wind tunnel testing etc. I don't know exactly how much though.
Agree on that, how much redesign can they done on FA-50 on that budget for this F-50. On other hand they have shown Design of F-50 a decade ago (which they drop for KF-21). Perhaps they just dust off older F-50 design? Who knows.

With the ESR-500A domestic AESA, we might well see a totally indigenous plane.
They technical and industrial capabilities, I believe. They have licensing turbojet engine since F-5 time. Still with KAI export success mostly with this class of Fighters, Perhaps they see they can get enough population to justify the Investment. With Japan and China already move for sometime with their own turbofan, it's just matter of time I believe, for ROK to catching up