Relicts of the World War II at Luxembourg

Raybin

Hi
I live in the north of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg.
Just here was the main action of the so-called " battle of the Bulge", the last german offensive action, the Rundstedt Offensive in the winter 1944/45.
Maybe you know places like Bastogne, the Eifel, Wiltz, Ambleve, Sankt Vith....
Well, thats where i live now.
The whole aera is covered with relicts of the WW-II.
I made a lot of pics and i want to share them with you. But only if you are interested.
I will post a handfull to show you what kind of pics i have.
Also i hope that you can help me to identify some of the relicts because i have zero knowledges about arms and tanks.

German PAK in the neighbour village:

At my corner of the country you can find a lot of plates like this one:

Monument dedicated to the allied liberators:

Place in the wood about 8 miles from me. An british plane crashed here in march 44:

German tank at Houffalize, around 12 miles from me but behind the belgian border.

1 of a lot of pics taken at the museum at Bastogne:

I have also pics of the german and american military cementary near Luxembourg city, including the grave of General George S. Patton .

Let me know what you think about and if you want to see all the pics.

To the mods: If somebody want to see the pics, where i have to upload them? Wich gallery, or is it better to post them in the forum?
Greets
Ray

barra

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting pics Ray, keep em coming. Pardon my ignorance of Luxembourg history but she was occupied by the Nazi's to? So is Bastogne part of Luxembourg? I will have to get on wiki and have a look at a map.

Cheers,
Barra

Raybin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi barra
The Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg is one of the smallest countries worldwide.
The surface is only 2587 square kilometers, around 1400 square miles with 450.000 people. We are independent for over 150 years now. Lux was occupied by the nazis on may 10th 1940, together with France and Belgium.
Bastogne is a belgian city, near to our border.
There is often a problem to explain the people that the belgian " Province de Luxembourg" and our country are 2 different things.
Also the worldwide known " Jardin du Luxembourg" in Paris, France , has nothing to do with us.
Luxemburgish people were forced to work for the Nazis during the WWII in the RAD, ReichsArbeitsDienst, ( work organistion of the 3rd Reich) and build highways, barracks and other stuff. Among all the nations involved into the WWII Lux had the highest loss in civilian lifes ( in percent, not absolute)

I will post some more pics, but not yet, it's past midnight here.
Greets
Ray

Raybin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A few more pics:

Bastogne WWII museum:
General Hasso von Manteuffel, a commander of an tank division wore this uniform during the battle of Bastogne:

German firearms used during the war:

General Bradley and General Patton:

Howitzer in the wood near the belgian border:

Memorial plaque for the US soldiers at the american cimetery at Sandweiler.
5012 are burried here.

Panel at Sandweiler to show the movements during the war:

Detail who shows the Rundstedt offensive in the winter 44/45. Just left of the german cross under the black arrow is my home!

Part of the graveyard:

The grave of General Patton at Sandweiler:

Central monument at the german cemetery, around 500 meters away from the american cemetery:

On every marked spot on this map german soldiers have been found and later burried at Sandweiler. Around 20.000 are burried there:

Tablets with a part of the names of the 4900 german soldiers burried in the mass grave under the central monument.

Greets
Ray