Regarding Rule 16.

Supe

Do not post LINK/URL to external FORUMS and message boards

What's the go here? Does this mean not linking to posts/threads member deems pertinent to their own post? I hope not. I understand rules against forum spam but not if it restricts source(s) that are legitimate to the discussion.

I have referred to posts on this forum on another forum. It would be a silly situation if all forums banned external links to other threads/posts or if one forum did not participate in the unspoken quid pro quo that forums often are. There is no single forum repository for all information - that is why I (and many here) am a member of many other forums. Information sharing enables the success of a forum. It does point members in other directions but by the same token, we also refer back to this forum - and so the cycle goes.

WebMaster: Please clarify the position of DefenceTalk on external forum posts/thread messages.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Hi Supe,

Thank you for asking. It is what you mention in first part of your post:

-to control forum spam (similar to 50 posts until one can use PM to control PM spam)

-legitimate link for the sake of discussion and information exchange is perfectly fine. You can link in two different ways:

suchandsuch.com/forum/showthread.php?123456 instead of http://www.suchandsuch.com/forum/showthread.php?123456

If it is one of the regulars posting the links, of course, we won't have issue with that. If it is someone who is posting their first reply in that manner, we will look into that and decide at that moment.

Please let me know if that is fair enough reply? I will try to explain further.