PRC Peoples Liberation Army Navy

Armchair

If the PLAN gets the J-35 right then it will be a formidable jet that will offer competitive kinematic performance and some stealth. Nuclear carriers, F-35Cs, an eventual naval NGAD, and experience
will still keep the USN in the lead for 2 decades or more.
If the scenario envisaged is fleet vs. fleet operations then the key match up is probably the capability to protect carriers from subs (or from anti ship ballistic missiles in USN case) rather than jet vs. jet. I remember reading one article suggesting the PLAN needed three carriers (can’t find it now). One to support the invasion of Taiwan(1) , one to contain Japan (2), and one to contain Guam (3). Even if carriers 2 and 3 were USN level I can’t see those missions going well.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
If the scenario envisaged is fleet vs. fleet operations then the key match up is probably the capability to protect carriers from subs (or from anti ship ballistic missiles in USN case) rather than jet vs. jet. I remember reading one article suggesting the PLAN needed three carriers (can’t find it now). One to support the invasion of Taiwan(1) , one to contain Japan (2), and one to contain Guam (3). Even if carriers 2 and 3 were USN level I can’t see those missions going well.
Missiles are a big threat but a carrier battlegroup has an extensive layered defence. Can a saturation attack (almost certainly land based) penetrate this defence, time will tell. As for subs, the USN has the best SSNs in the world and they always sail with the CBG. The best sub killer, another sub and I would bet on a Virginia.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
No more shots of the Fujian alongside mmmmmkkk ? :p
For me, this is also shown CCP control on Chinese online media perhaps not as absolute some outside China think. Those photos mostly going to be posted in Wechat, Weibo and other Chinese platform. Those photos move to western social media after some outside China ppl take it and put it there.

Fujian photo will be harder to contain as long as the ship still in Pudong tier. It is directly under flight path toward Shanghai airport. I believe what they're after are those enthusiasts that directly after dedicated photos with high resolution telelens. Kind of paparazzi aiming for celebrities. Most of passing by photos seems not what they are after.

Reading some comments on Chinese forums, seems those high resolution telelens photo that need to be clarified first before can be uploaded to online media.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Apparently China is clamping down on amateur photographers taking photos of military kit. Authorities might be successful in limiting distribution but it will hard to prevent photos being taken of large objects like carriers.

This is from the CTV news site but I can’t paste the link for some reason.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
FB_IMG_1703857700965.jpg

Look at this post on Facebook

From Naval Analyses FB page, they put interesting graphs on PLAN Destroyers evolution. From type 07 that clearly base on Soviet Skory toward type 55. Interestingly the time period of first 3 if not mistaken took similar time as the rest 7 types. Shown how fast PLAN evolve in the last two decades plus.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
After givin warning to Chinese Defense Enrhusiats on not posting much pictures online, Chinese officialy give glimpse of Fujian appearance.

This is the X from Deino that also use as base on that article.

How fortune has change much, with Russia still try to keep operating a Cold War carrier, India still begin planning on third carrier, French begin work on their next sole Catobar, PLAN already begin operating their first Catobar and 3rd carriers.

Still as Pudong-Jiangnan shipyard under path directly flown by commercial airliners, people still put photo on the latest Fujian possition. Seems the CCTV footage show that carrier in transit toward drydock. I don't think there's problem with the carrier or CCTV will not put it on their stream. More likely I suspect final preparations before sea trials.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
PLAN already begin "operating" their first Catobar and 3rd carriers.
Fixed it for you. Putting a new ship to sea is one thing, conducting long term sustained CBG operations in blue water areas is another thing. I've yet to see the PLAN do anything resembling that. The USN is the yardstick they should be compared to.

I don't think there's problem with the carrier or CCTV will not put it on their stream. More likely I suspect final preparations before sea trials.
Really ? Taking a ship out of construction dry dock, having it alongside for fitting out, then putting it back into dry dock is a normal thing before sea trials ? Totally not an indication of larger issues with construction/systems/fit out that require a second dry docking ? Given how long this ship has been in development, how long the catapults were covered up and the largely optimistic attempt at running EMALS with conventional power, I would assess it as totally not normal that it's going back into dry dock and an indication of ongoing build issues with the ship.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Logically I do agree they are going to make adjustments on something significant, if getting back to dry dock. However with CCTV already put glimpse on that carrier, and how CCP propaganda work, I still do suspect not a major adjustments.

Perhaps I do have rephrase my post from 'don't think there's problem' to 'don't think there's significant problem'. Off course there's just my assumption base on how CCTV put it the carrier on spot before this. Something that usually CCP will not done it, if their project face big problem.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Deino's X account just posted clearer images of KJ-600 AEW. I suspect with the preparation on Fujian, perhaps early next year, PLAN will try to operate them aboard Fujian. Some Chinese forumers betting Fujian will be operational by second half this year. Considering this is first PLAN Catobar with untested EMALS, even early next year can be condider fast.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The Warzone’s update on Fujian. Some content originates with info from Rupprecht. It will be interesting to see how EMALS performs. I assume power for it and propulsion is via GTs. In combination with J-35s, it could be a formidable new capability for the PLAN.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

20240424_225007.jpg

Deino's X account put latest image of Fujian. This strings of pictures mostly from Weibo on Fujian, I believe has not escape Chinese Offcial watch. They seems let it be, and even let Chinese media to cover it. Indicating they are quite sure with Fujian progress so far.

Deino"s account also previously shown Weibo's originate image on Fujian comducting engine test. PLAN seems so far shown indication that they're happy with the progress. seems the first sea trial will happen not long ahead.